CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-20-2011, 05:46 PM   #1
Boris Lau

Profile:
Interesting criticisms of the paleo diet

Stumbled across this webpage today offering some criticisms of the paleo diet: http://freetheanimal.com/2011/10/gue...-of-paleo.html (wfs).

If you ignore the overuse of the word "fail", I found it pretty insightful. Thought I'd share it.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
Matt Thomas

Profile:
Re: Interesting criticisms of the paleo diet

Good read.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:31 PM   #3
Andrew Lambert

Profile:

"This can be most evident in the physical characteristics of different races. Humans scattered all over the globe and slowly evolved to suit their environments better, and we can now see the vast physical differences that characterize us. For example, those of us who remained in the tropics kept the dark skin that would prevent sunburn while those of us that moved to cooler destinations got paler skin that could more easily synthesize vitamin D from limited sunlight"

-Actually, there is greater genetic diversity--within human populations than between them--when comparing races. He should have said skin tone or maybe cline instead of "race."
Old 10-26-2011, 08:06 PM   #4
Fan Yang

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Lambert View Post
"This can be most evident in the physical characteristics of different races. Humans scattered all over the globe and slowly evolved to suit their environments better, and we can now see the vast physical differences that characterize us. For example, those of us who remained in the tropics kept the dark skin that would prevent sunburn while those of us that moved to cooler destinations got paler skin that could more easily synthesize vitamin D from limited sunlight"

-Actually, there is greater genetic diversity--within human populations than between them--when comparing races. He should have said skin tone or maybe cline instead of "race."
wait what? ref please? how can that be true that a thing that is more diverse within itself is less diverse than against something else?

the article has many great points, I think one key point is that an earlier form of diet does not equal an optimized diet, in deed I would expand that and say, there is no optimized diet, only goal directed diets.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:34 AM   #5
Jonathan Dudley

Profile:

Good read, and I agree. As many have said before, use Paleo as the blueprint to find what works best for you and your body.