CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #11
Megan Zetter

Profile:
Re: Patella femoral syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
X-rays aren't going to show anything, maybe some arthritic changes; nothing that will give you a true answer. I'd save your time. I'd also skip your physician who likely will not have much experience with knee pain in the active population.

Find a chiro, or PT, that works with athletes, and proficient with rehab and soft tissue techniques.

If you need help finding one, PM your zip code, and city.
What he said. Definitely skip the MD and x-ray. You will most likely get no useful information.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #12
Roxanne McClain

Profile:

Quote:
What makes you think it's a mobility problem? Has any of that vodoo floss, or mobility work given any improvement that has been more than temporary?

Palpate around the back of your knee, between the 2 large tendons; more towards the lateral portion. Any really tender spots?
I am trying to figure out what is going on with my right knee as well. My knee doesn't bother me at all some days, but after heavy lifts (front squats did it this time) my right knee kills me for days. I had a trainer use voodoo floss on it back in the summer and for almost a month I was completely pain free. It was amazing. I have went to the floss a few times since then and it always cleared it up within a couple of days of really watching form. This time, nothing is helping. I think my problem may be weaker glutes and hams as well, b/c I am constantly trying to keep knees pushed out during heavy lifts.
The pain is always located right around the inner side of my knee area and last night it was really tender in the back of it too. Any ideas?
I thought I had pretty good squat form, but I don't know if its getting thown off during heavy lifts or what might be happening. Any ideas?
Old 11-14-2013, 09:12 PM   #13
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxanne McClain View Post
I am trying to figure out what is going on with my right knee as well. My knee doesn't bother me at all some days, but after heavy lifts (front squats did it this time) my right knee kills me for days. I had a trainer use voodoo floss on it back in the summer and for almost a month I was completely pain free. It was amazing. I have went to the floss a few times since then and it always cleared it up within a couple of days of really watching form. This time, nothing is helping. I think my problem may be weaker glutes and hams as well, b/c I am constantly trying to keep knees pushed out during heavy lifts.
The pain is always located right around the inner side of my knee area and last night it was really tender in the back of it too. Any ideas?
I thought I had pretty good squat form, but I don't know if its getting thown off during heavy lifts or what might be happening. Any ideas?
2 things to consider;

1.Lengthy, but you owe it to yourself to make it through. WFS
http://dsstrength.com/2013/11/11/sup...es-out-debate/

2. In the same way that people may not be a great trainer after the weekend of a L1 cert especially without some prior knowledge, the same can be said for the overwhelming number of people that finish the mobility cert, or read The Supple Leopard; and their abilities to cure everything, ever.

Don't ask your trainer. Ask a professional.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:23 AM   #14
Lee Ogden

Profile:

I totally agree with the earlier advice re seeing a good chirpratic/physio/sports therapist.

I have chondromalacia in both knees (confirmed by MRI) and suffered for years back and forward to my GP trying to treat the knees and not the source of the problem. I eventually went to sports therapist and through mobility work and strengthening glutes/ham/quads etc have managed to pretty much take away any day to day pain.

I only have issues now if I don't watch my form, do too much too quickly either weight or volume, or if I get lazy and let things get tight.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:41 AM   #15
Tighe Crovetti

Profile:

Good timing for me to see this thread....

I had a knee injury in high school, torn cartilage, plus osteochondritis dessecans lesion. From there, I began a long process of favoring that knee. At one point, it had recovered well, I even played some college football, but being told I had an "arthritic" area led me to gradually throttle back my activity on it. Over the years, of course, it "got worse," to the point I couldn't do any impactful activity. When I started CF, my first thought was, "I wonder how my knee will hold up."

The short of it is, there have been a couple occasions where "my knee hurt," and I immediately worried I had injured my knee. What I started paying attention to was, hey, my hips are very tight, too, or my glutes are very sore from that WOD... Sure enough, when that soreness went away, or that tightness loosened up, what felt like very severe knee pain went away and - this may be completely in my head - my knees actually ended up feeling stronger than before.

Keep using good form, use your core to be stable, work up slowly in weights, but don't be afraid to challenge those legs/knees. It's all a very symbiotic structure, strengthen it all and I think you'll find it all will feel better.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #16
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Ogden View Post
I totally agree with the earlier advice re seeing a good chirpratic/physio/sports therapist.

I have chondromalacia in both knees (confirmed by MRI) and suffered for years back and forward to my GP trying to treat the knees and not the source of the problem. I eventually went to sports therapist and through mobility work and strengthening glutes/ham/quads etc have managed to pretty much take away any day to day pain.

I only have issues now if I don't watch my form, do too much too quickly either weight or volume, or if I get lazy and let things get tight.
What did you do to strengthen your glutes, hams, and quads? And what mobility work did you do? I'm dealing with tendinosis in my left knee and would appreciate any advice.
Old 11-21-2013, 11:45 AM   #17
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
What did you do to strengthen your glutes, hams, and quads? And what mobility work did you do? I'm dealing with tendinosis in my left knee and would appreciate any advice.
How do you know it's caused by the same thing? You're just guessing! Don't.

If you wore glasses to help see; and I had a hard time seeing; would you expect your glasses to help me? Correct, same will be said for your knee issue.

Just my 2c.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:20 PM   #18
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
How do you know it's caused by the same thing? You're just guessing! Don't.

If you wore glasses to help see; and I had a hard time seeing; would you expect your glasses to help me? Correct, same will be said for your knee issue.

Just my 2c.
I've been to PTs and all three of them said I have tight and weak hamstrings and glutes. That and the fact that I've strained by hamstrings three times over the years leads me to believe it's caused by the same thing.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:29 AM   #19
Brian Strump

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
I've been to PTs and all three of them said I have tight and weak hamstrings and glutes. That and the fact that I've strained by hamstrings three times over the years leads me to believe it's caused by the same thing.
The fact that you're still suffering, and by your own works have strained them 3 times, leads me to believe that they were all incorrect.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:58 AM   #20
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
The fact that you're still suffering, and by your own works have strained them 3 times, leads me to believe that they were all incorrect.
Admittedly I've never actually done direct hamstring strength training for any significant period of time. I just started doing RDLs, negative GHRs, and lying leg curls only a few months ago. Each time I strained it I rested, stretched it once it was not feeling bad, and then resumed working out. The first PT didn't even tell me to do hamstring strengthening exercises, just to stretch it and warmup better before workouts. The second one had me do some lying leg curls but that's it. The one I recently saw told me to start doing RDLs and glute ham raises so that's what I've been doing as my knee has allowed me. So that's why I'm asking. I've also never attempted glute work like barbell hip thrusts and was wondering if he was prescribed them, I don't want to do an exercise that may potentially make my knee worse. I do need to do a better job of rehabbing it.