CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 08-21-2006, 01:35 PM   #1
Richard Boureston

Profile:

It seems to me that when you have something that involves an aerobic activity, loosely defined, you could choose to exercise in a way that precludes the ability to do unbroken sets of whatever other activities follow in the cicuit.

Today's workout included:

3 times

1000 meter row
20 pullups
30 jumps

What is the crossfit position on how to approach this workout? Should you ramp up so that you are the fastest on the last set or should you go all out every set?

If you are trying to complete each exercise in the shortest amount of time and the exercises encorporate similar muscle groups then it seems that one would not be able to go all out in any one exercise and therefore in the entire workout because it would negatively affect the remain exercises in the circuit.

Can someone help me out with this?

Old 08-22-2006, 01:02 PM   #2
Richard Boureston

Profile:

Do people not understand what I am talking about or is something else going on...it seems strange that no one has answered my question yet.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:00 PM   #3
William Hunter

Profile:
I'll admit to not really understanding your first paragraph.

WOD's such as these are a volume of work to be completed as fast as possible. How you go about doing that is up to you. You can employ different strategies on the same workout when it comes up again (or if you do it on your own) and see which one yields you a PR. It's all about compressing the work into as little time as possible.

Most people always improve their times initially because they know what's coming the second time around, and adjust their pacing. Other times you charge out of the box thinking you'll smash your PR, and then get slapped in the 2nd or 3rd round, and end up on the floor crying for your mama...and your time sucks. Live and learn.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:41 PM   #4
Russ Greene

Profile:

The goal is usually to get the entire workout done as quickly as possible, so row, jump, and pullup accordingly. If that means going 80% instead of 100% on the row, that's ok.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:45 PM   #5
Richard Boureston

Profile:

I have a lot of experience in pacing through intervals and it sounds like what I have done before. In this case, I would start above my target time for the first round, at target for the third round, and below the target time for the third round.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:15 PM   #6
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
It sounds to me if you do it that way, Richard, you'd be missing the boat. Go balls-to-the-wall a/k/a all out! Nowhere in the exercise instruction does it ask you to "pace yourself." Your performance is based on how fast you complete the entire workout, not based on how much energy you have left at the end. If you watch the video, you will not see people pacing themselves.

Try harder!
Old 08-22-2006, 10:58 PM   #7
Russ Greene

Profile:

But Keith, aiming to complete the entire workout as fast as possible necessarily entails pacing yourself through parts of it. Otherwise the first 1000m row would be a complete sprint, and you would be dead by the second round, then slow down a lot, resulting in a drastically lower overall power output for the entire workout.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:28 AM   #8
Richard Boureston

Profile:

So you agree with me Russ? What both of you said is the exact debate I wanted to have. Either you go balls out and expect to continue to slow down throughout the session and hope that it will be faster than the last time, or you give yourself a more structured mental environment and set goals, which you can push through if the energy is there, to better your previous time.

This is why I was surprised when nobody responded at first because it seems like this is an important topic. I do admit that sometimes in an effort to be accurate I make my writing difficult to understand.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:30 AM   #9
William Hunter

Profile:
which is why multiple attempts at these WOD's tends to illuminate the best overall strategy. I say try it both ways, the stopwatch doesn't lie.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:14 AM   #10
Andrew G. Greenberg

Profile:
richard, this topic has been covered ad nauseum in these boards. that's why no one responded at first. try searching for "selling out" and "managing."