CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-22-2013, 07:18 AM   #21
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Patella femoral syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
Admittedly I've never actually done direct hamstring strength training for any significant period of time. I just started doing RDLs, negative GHRs, and lying leg curls only a few months ago. Each time I strained it I rested, stretched it once it was not feeling bad, and then resumed working out. The first PT didn't even tell me to do hamstring strengthening exercises, just to stretch it and warmup better before workouts. The second one had me do some lying leg curls but that's it. The one I recently saw told me to start doing RDLs and glute ham raises so that's what I've been doing as my knee has allowed me. So that's why I'm asking. I've also never attempted glute work like barbell hip thrusts and was wondering if he was prescribed them, I don't want to do an exercise that may potentially make my knee worse. I do need to do a better job of rehabbing it.
In all honesty, it's difficult to assess without every actually seeing you. My main point when we assess someone is, just because it's tight, doesn't mean anything. Just because something tests weak, does not mean it needs to be strengthened. Unfortunately, the human body is more complex than that.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #22
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Re: Patella femoral syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
In all honesty, it's difficult to assess without every actually seeing you. My main point when we assess someone is, just because it's tight, doesn't mean anything. Just because something tests weak, does not mean it needs to be strengthened. Unfortunately, the human body is more complex than that.
Yea I understand, that's the frustrating part about it. The Docs and PTs I've seen don't all say the same thing as far as a diagnosis. One doc wanted me to do hip strengthening and nothing else, a PT wanted me to do leg extensions which are terrible for knees...I've had more luck using google and Internet forums than the so called professionals. I got lucky with a surgeon because he works out and understands knee issues and he also confirmed to do hamstring and glute work, but like you said, it could be something else due to the complexity of the body.