CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
2013 DSLR Camera thread

Quick search revealed the last camera thread is 18 months old.

I'm buying a DSLR for the gym in the next week (have a competition coming up need to learn how to use it before 12-15).

I'm fairly settled on one of the Cannons. 3Ti or 4Ti.

My real question is the lens. It seems whatever body I get will do more then I will ever need it to do but the lens can make a big difference.

Because I will use it for shooting pictures and video of members in action I understand a faster (lets in more light) lens is better.

I can do one of three things:

Canon - EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens

or

Canon - EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Autofocus Lens

or

Buy the camera body only and some other lens

Any input or advise for or against would be appreciated. Cost is a factor in this project. Paid $5,000 for a big LED sign this month already.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:28 AM   #2
Justin Goudreau

Profile:
Re: 2013 DSLR Camera thread

Don't get that kit lens. Go for a ef-s 17-55 f2.8 it's much better.

The glass in this lens has been compared to their higher end L glass. It's also fast lens (wider aperture) which you need as much light as possible so you can have a fast shutter to freeze your subjects.

You won't have auto focus in video mode with this lens but I don't think you need that. It's annoying.

The lens does have IS though which is awesome.

Last edited by Justin Goudreau : 11-26-2012 at 05:33 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:03 AM   #3
Snir Golan

Profile:

i echo the statement about the kit lens, while it is pretty decent especially for the price, it is very slow which means that it will need a good amount of light to really work well. if you do want to buy it anyway, my advice would be to spend a bit extra and buy yourself a nice external flash like the 430 ex II. the flash will allow you to shoot in not as good light as well as stop action for those fast movement like box jumps, muscle up etc..
Old 11-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #4
Bill Peabody

Profile:

I have the 18-135 kit lens and except for low light situations is a fine lens. I use it as a walk around lens quite often.

The lens suggested above is a really nice lens but still may not let enough light in if the space the competition is held is has bad lighting and you are looking to stop action. I shoot a fair amount of indoor youth basketball every season and f2.8 typically is not able to provide enough ambient lighting to stop action. I typically shoot a 85mm f1.8 & 50mm f1.8 both wide open.

I think the 50mm f1.8 is an often over looked bargin. It is not a super fast lens but it is a great lens for the money (100-125) (sfw)
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8.../dp/B00007E7JU

Whether the lenses I use would work for you really depends on the space you would be trying to shoot in. In the gym I attend these lens would not work real well as the space is probably too small and the people would not be far enough away.

One thing you might want to try is to rent a lens. Many cities have rental agencies or you can rent online I have not done this but there are several online places when I google it for example you can rent the suggested lens for 5 days for about $50 (sfw) http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/cano...7-55mm-f2.8-is.

One last thing is I would not be afraid to buy lenses used. Whether it be craigslist locally or on line at a forum such as (sfw) http://photography-on-the.net. I find http://photography-on-the.net helpful in several way but they have a great very actice classifieds and the prices in the for sale are great used benchmarks. I have purchased a body and a couple of lenses off the forum.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Peabody : 11-26-2012 at 09:45 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 11-26-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
Jonathan Kinnick

Profile:

I have a nikon 5100 which is great, but the canons are good too. About lenses I would second that you're going to save a lot of money getting a prime (no zoom) lens. I have both a 35mm and a 50mm, and I really like the distance of the 35mm. You can get an incredibly fast lens (f/1.8) for a fraction of the cost of a fast zoom. I have nikon 18-55 kit lens as well, and I use it outdoors a lot. It just can't compete with the prime lenses indoors.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:33 PM   #6
Greg Light

Profile:

Best bang for your buck in my opinion for indoor settings would be a T2i with the canon 28mm 1.8 or the Sigma 30mm 1.8. The T2i is a little older but is still a great camera and doesnt have the annoying flip out monitor.

The 28mm is better for indoor stuff where you would find yourself too zoomed in with the 50mm. The 1.8 is great for lower light settings that you would have inside and its fast enough to capture action pics without being blurry.

you should be able to get both for around $900 (with the canon lens) or $800 (with the sigma lens).

Hope this helps.

Good luck
Old 11-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
Matthew Vesey

Profile:

I just bought a Rebel T3I for the purpose of Videos, Gym Photos, client photos. It has outstanding video quality. I can tell you that I am blown away by the T3I. I also could not say no to the price I got it for. Black Friday deal at a local shop had it reduced to $529. T4I is more expensive despite not really being much of an upgrade at all. My 0.02 is go with the T3I. I would look into a new lens potentially though. The stock one does the trick but there are better ones out there!
Age:24, Height: 5'10, Weight: 180, 5km Row: 17:15.3, 500m Row:1:23.6, BS: 440, DL:540, Press: 205:My Log(WFS)
Old 11-29-2012, 07:01 PM   #8
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Vesey View Post
I just bought a Rebel T3I for the purpose of Videos, Gym Photos, client photos. It has outstanding video quality. I can tell you that I am blown away by the T3I. I also could not say no to the price I got it for. Black Friday deal at a local shop had it reduced to $529. T4I is more expensive despite not really being much of an upgrade at all. My 0.02 is go with the T3I. I would look into a new lens potentially though. The stock one does the trick but there are better ones out there!
There is little to no difference in image quality between the T2i, 3i and 4i. In fact there is also little to no difference between those camera and the 7D as well as a negliable difference in video quality when compared with the much more expensive 5DmkII. If you put good glass on the front of any of those cameras you should be more than happy with the result. Only advantage would be the flip-out screen (or the control layout on 7D and 5DMkII, if you're used to old-school Canon dial location) on the 3i and 4i if you're shooting alot of video, specifically with a hand-held or shoulder mounted stabalizer of some sort.

*Fun Fact: The movie Silent House was shot entirely with a 5dMkII. As well as the final episode of the TV show House.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:06 PM   #9
Joey Washburn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
Quick search revealed the last camera thread is 18 months old.

I'm buying a DSLR for the gym in the next week (have a competition coming up need to learn how to use it before 12-15).

I'm fairly settled on one of the Cannons. 3Ti or 4Ti.

My real question is the lens. It seems whatever body I get will do more then I will ever need it to do but the lens can make a big difference.

Because I will use it for shooting pictures and video of members in action I understand a faster (lets in more light) lens is better.

I can do one of three things:

Canon - EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens

or

Canon - EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Autofocus Lens

or

Buy the camera body only and some other lens

Any input or advise for or against would be appreciated. Cost is a factor in this project. Paid $5,000 for a big LED sign this month already.
I am late to this thread, but without a doubt getting the fastest lens possible is important. The amount of light in your standard gym is horrible, especially if you have to shoot with the roll up doors shut, or you dont have a large natural light source, or shooting at night.

A zoom lens is a great lens to allow you to shoot from a further distance and adjust angles on the fly, but even the most expensive zooms ($2000) are only 2.8. You can get 50mm lens, often called fast 50s for under 500 bucks. There are 1.8, 1.4 and 1.2. The 1.2 is going to be over $1000. Go for the 1.4. It will give you the most bang for your buck. Also dont be afraid to use 3rd party lenses. You are shooting stuff that is going to be posted on the web, shown at box holiday parties and shown to athletes on the back of your screen, you dont need the best of the best.

I am going to make an assumption that your knowledge of photography is fairly low and give you some basic starting points for shooting.

Your going to be most comfortable shooting in Auto everything, which will work most of the time, but I suggest taking a few things off of auto. The camera is going to try and make decisions for you to make the best image, which works great in most situations, but because you are not shooting in a standard situation (daylight, outside, etc) you are shooting in a dark gym the decisions the Auto mode is going to make are not the best.

For images, Turn Auto ISO off. For a pretty dark gym, you are going to need to set your ISO to 3200. You might be able to get away with something a little lower, but its a good starting point. Set your camera to Aperture priority mode. In the Canon, its called AV Mode. Set the Aperture to the lowest number your lens has. If you buy the 1.8 50mm, it will be 1.8. This SHOULD get your shutter speeds high enough to FREEZE the action of a lift. If you are still getting blurry images, then you can try pushing the ISO to a higher number, but the image quality will start to degrade a bit.

Your only other option at that point is to get more light, either artificially (flash, home depot lights, etc) or shoot during the day.

I cant weigh in much about the video functionality.

Probably a bit over the top for my first post, but photography is a passion of mine that rivals my passion for crossfit.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #10
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Bought a Cannon T3i w 18-135 lens. Will use it for competition next weekend and see how things go.

Bought for $695 no sales tax, free shipping.