CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-26-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
Krystal Palas

Profile:
2013 open and getting to regionals

I am relatively new here, and have been doing Xfit since May. I am currently a gymnastics coach, and have progressed very quickly in the last few months. My ultimate goal is to make it to regionals, but I do not know how long it will take to do that.
My current lift 1RMs are
Deadlift about 200 (rising rapidly
Strict press 80
Back Squat about 155
Bench a little over 100.
Helen in ~11min
Mile in 6:50

I have not mastered my DU (can do about 5 at a time), no muscle ups tried yet, ring dips are tough still, and I can do pistols and hst. pushups, but not a lot at a time.

Here are my questions:
What other 'tricky' movements do you expect to see in the 2013 open?
How can I get my strength number up quickly (I am currently doing Wendler and am starting my 3rd month)?
Where should my lifting numbers/benchmarks be?
Old 08-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
Paulo Santos

Profile:
Re: 2013 open and getting to regionals

If you check out the top competitors, they have their lift numbers so you can compare them.

While Wendler is a great program, if you want to be competitive, you need to follow something like Outlaw Programming. You need to be well rounded or you will be punished in the games.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:50 PM   #3
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystal Palas View Post
I am relatively new here, and have been doing Xfit since May. I am currently a gymnastics coach, and have progressed very quickly in the last few months. My ultimate goal is to make it to regionals, but I do not know how long it will take to do that.
My current lift 1RMs are
Deadlift about 200 (rising rapidly
Strict press 80
Back Squat about 155
Bench a little over 100.
Helen in ~11min
Mile in 6:50

I have not mastered my DU (can do about 5 at a time), no muscle ups tried yet, ring dips are tough still, and I can do pistols and hst. pushups, but not a lot at a time.

Here are my questions:
What other 'tricky' movements do you expect to see in the 2013 open?
How can I get my strength number up quickly (I am currently doing Wendler and am starting my 3rd month)?
Where should my lifting numbers/benchmarks be?
There are a lot of great coaches in Seattle. I would find one and start that way!
Old 08-27-2012, 09:41 AM   #4
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

I think it's been mentioned before, but based on your lift numbers you really should be doing a dedicated strength progression right now. With a DL at 200, you would have had a rough time making it through the first regional workout last year (21-15-9 DL 155lb), strength is going to take time and you really need to dedicate to improving it ASAP so you can switch to more conditioning + volume closer to competition time.

You also don't mention anything about Oly lifts, those are totally skill/technique driven that can take years to pick up, so you should be focusing a good chunk of time on oly work. You say you are coaching gymnastics, but haven't tried MU? A little confused byt hopefully that means you have gymnastic skills down, you should probably have - Weighted Pull ups & dips, handstand walking, L sit/hang, bar muscle ups, full ring pushups.

You've asked here a couple times, and the answer continues to be get a coach who will program specifically for you in order to achieve your goals to regionals. Virtually everyone who actually has a shot will have a coach tailoring their programming or at very least helping them with technique at this point.

Last edited by Rebecca Roth : 08-27-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #5
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Wendler may not be the best choice either. GSLP may allow you to make faster gains. You are most likely new enough to barbell training to use straight linear progression for fast gains.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
Wendler may not be the best choice either. GSLP may allow you to make faster gains. You are most likely new enough to barbell training to use straight linear progression for fast gains.
I agree with this 100%. I would look at GSLP or SS for what you need right now with regards to where your lifts are at.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #7
Richard Colon

Profile:

It is time to stop asking and start doing. Pick something, as you've been given a great amount of advice already.

The problem I see with so many people that want to reach some goals or improve something is lack of effort and consistency. Let's just call it discipline. They distract themselves from the actual doing part by constantly searching or asking for validation. I know this because I've lived it in my art/design career. A blank canvas with the age old question of "how do I draw better?". You know what, you just start moving a pencil around, hour after hour and day after day. Eventually you get good at it. You may even be great at it. But instead, we/I stare at the blank paper, open up the browser and start searching for youtube videos, google and various art forums asking "what is the best anatomy book?" or "what sort of stuff should I draw to improve?" We do this day after day and guess what....there is still a blank paper there. I digress.....

People have been given info and instead of putting in the work for 8-12 weeks, as written, they start looking around for more information. They ask on here, they google stuff. It is almost as though they want validation for what they are doing. The validation is at the end but only if you see it through.

I seriously doubt anyone that does GSLP, 5/3/1 or SS, religiously, as prescribed will fail. They will improve. It is not for lack of information, it is for lack of doing something with that information.

The key to being a super bad ***, ridiculously strong, athletic person. Here it is...you can send me money via paypal if you wish.

1. Establish goals, specifically. Ex: Back Squat increase by 40lbs. Snatch increase by 25lbs. Lower body weight by 12lbs. Increase deadhang pull-ups from 7 to 12 reps. Do 2 Muscle-ups and 40+ straight Double Unders.

2. Find a program. If the goals are as above, then preferably one that has you doing Back Squats, Double Unders, MUs (or their progressions) and some Olympic lifts (see that snatch up there). It doesn't have to be more complicated than that. If you can't find one that has everything, give yourself 1 day (24hrs) to keep searching. After that, stop looking and narrow the goals down then. Just go with 1) Improve Back Squat by 40lbs and 2) Increase deadhang pull-ups. THATS IT. I guarantee you will find a program to help you with that.

3. Do that program. Stop asking, stop searching. Do it as written, for as long as written or at least until you reach your goals or, most importantly - long enough to know (not think) that it isn't working. You won't find that out in a week necessarily. Stick it out for a bit. Give it a few months.

4. Rinse, repeat either adjusting the program, establishing new goals when current ones are in sight or simply dumping the program all together if it didn't work. Only then find something else and try that one.

I bring this all up why? Because of this

Looks like you started asking around early May. That's 4 full months. Where are you at and what 3-4 month program did you just finish? I guarantee if you had picked one, done it to the letter, then you wouldn't be asking any more questions. The answers to those questions would been provided by the bar, by the chalk and in the workout journals.

Last edited by Richard Colon : 08-27-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:19 PM   #8
Frances Ballesteros

Profile:

Even though I had a tough time with linear progression, I'd say go with GSLP and follow it EXACTLY AS WRITTEN. Once you start to find weak spots, add some accessory work.

I honestly think it's better than the other linear progression programs because adjustments can be made to adress weak spots and other preferences.

Enjoy it, well, not sure if you can enjoy doing sets of back squats almost to failure hehe.

Remember to eat appropiately, these programs were not designed to work well with a cutting diet...maybe GSLP, but you definitely need to get strong at the main lifts.

Other than that, once you stall, you can move on to something else.

Not too sound rude or discouraging, but the open is in 6 months. Not enough time to prepare...
Old 08-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #9
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

4 months of all out strength focus then 2 hard month of endurance...

Those 4 months will be tough... Hit the big lifts, focus on technique on the only, practice those skill (du, etc)

With two months to spare keep doing a little strength but hit the WODs that build stamina in every range. OTMEM, heavy, short ones, medium ones, long ones, etc. toss in sprinting intervals, jump roping for time (when you can do 8+ mins straight your doing good), and toss in some long runs, bike rides for recovery

Can you make it to regionals? Maybe... Depending on where you are at in 6 months, how hard you have trained, how well you fed your body and who your competition is. Obviously some regions are easier than others.

So pick a program and get lifting!
Old 08-28-2012, 07:15 AM   #10
Thomas Baker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Colon View Post
It is time to stop asking and start doing. Pick something, as you've been given a great amount of advice already.

The problem I see with so many people that want to reach some goals or improve something is lack of effort and consistency. Let's just call it discipline. They distract themselves from the actual doing part by constantly searching or asking for validation. I know this because I've lived it in my art/design career. A blank canvas with the age old question of "how do I draw better?". You know what, you just start moving a pencil around, hour after hour and day after day. Eventually you get good at it. You may even be great at it. But instead, we/I stare at the blank paper, open up the browser and start searching for youtube videos, google and various art forums asking "what is the best anatomy book?" or "what sort of stuff should I draw to improve?" We do this day after day and guess what....there is still a blank paper there. I digress.....

People have been given info and instead of putting in the work for 8-12 weeks, as written, they start looking around for more information. They ask on here, they google stuff. It is almost as though they want validation for what they are doing. The validation is at the end but only if you see it through.

I seriously doubt anyone that does GSLP, 5/3/1 or SS, religiously, as prescribed will fail. They will improve. It is not for lack of information, it is for lack of doing something with that information.

The key to being a super bad ***, ridiculously strong, athletic person. Here it is...you can send me money via paypal if you wish.

1. Establish goals, specifically. Ex: Back Squat increase by 40lbs. Snatch increase by 25lbs. Lower body weight by 12lbs. Increase deadhang pull-ups from 7 to 12 reps. Do 2 Muscle-ups and 40+ straight Double Unders.

2. Find a program. If the goals are as above, then preferably one that has you doing Back Squats, Double Unders, MUs (or their progressions) and some Olympic lifts (see that snatch up there). It doesn't have to be more complicated than that. If you can't find one that has everything, give yourself 1 day (24hrs) to keep searching. After that, stop looking and narrow the goals down then. Just go with 1) Improve Back Squat by 40lbs and 2) Increase deadhang pull-ups. THATS IT. I guarantee you will find a program to help you with that.

3. Do that program. Stop asking, stop searching. Do it as written, for as long as written or at least until you reach your goals or, most importantly - long enough to know (not think) that it isn't working. You won't find that out in a week necessarily. Stick it out for a bit. Give it a few months.

4. Rinse, repeat either adjusting the program, establishing new goals when current ones are in sight or simply dumping the program all together if it didn't work. Only then find something else and try that one.

I bring this all up why? Because of this

Looks like you started asking around early May. That's 4 full months. Where are you at and what 3-4 month program did you just finish? I guarantee if you had picked one, done it to the letter, then you wouldn't be asking any more questions. The answers to those questions would been provided by the bar, by the chalk and in the workout journals.
One of the best posts I've ever seen on this website. Print the above post out, put it in your bedroom, mirror and gym and then get after it. Thank you for spreading wise knowledge, Richard.