CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-24-2005, 03:43 PM   #1
David Birozy

Profile:
Anybody have any experience with this mattress? It's the dual side air mattress you adjust by number (Lindsay Wagner is the spokesperson). I'm in the market for a new mattress and read some decent things about it.

I asked my Chiro today, who said he recommends it (without the pillow top), and his patients that have the matress really like it.

Consumer Reports has an article on it (along with Duxiana and Tempur-Pedic) from June '05. It had decent ratings, though most that liked it had the pillow top.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:43 PM   #2
William Hunter

Profile:
My father has that mattress and really likes it. I have the Tempur-Pedic and you'd have to fight me to the death to get it out of my house. I can hardly stand to go on vacation because I miss it so much.

Wise man once say: "Spend good money on shoes and bed, because you'll spend your entire life in one or the other."

BTW, after my Dad stayed at my house to watch the kids while we went away, he went and bought the Tempur-Pedic mattress pad (about 4" thick I think), put it on top of his Select Comfort, and is now convinced he has the best bed in the world.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:46 PM   #3
David Birozy

Profile:
Interesting. I have a similiar mattress cover I bought at Costco (I think mine is only about 2" thick. Hmmm, after reading my post, I better strike that. I think my mattress pad is only about 2" thick. I don't think it was Tempur-Pedic brand.) It was FANTASTIC for about the first year or so. However, I think the foam broke down, because it doesn't nearly provide the benefit it used to, even with flipping and rotating it. I would guess the Tempur-Pedic would be better because it is thicker - according to Consumer Reports, 8" thick foam mattress, plus the bedspring (and has a limited 20 year warranty).

You're exactly right on the shoes and mattress comment. I'm willing to spend more $$ on a good mattress!

I'm still leaning to the Select Comfort, but I'd love to hear other thoughts on the Tempur-Pedic too.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:38 PM   #4
Jeff Martin

Profile:
David,
Have had one (without the pillow top) for several years and wouldn't trade it.
Jeff
Old 08-24-2005, 10:09 PM   #5
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
We have a Select Comfort with dual chambers and a pillowtop. I was leaning towards a memory foam mattress (ie: Tempurpedic) but hubby wanted the sleep number bed, so we got one with memory foam built in. Memory foam works most efficiently with your body heat which helps it conform to your shape, so that feature is really useless under the pillowtop.

The sleep number is nice, BUT, I like mine more firm, and DH likes his really soft sometimes AND he is heavier than me, SO guess where I end up - sliding and sinking down to his side. We're also big on cuddling so, we really don't need the duel chambers since we're always on one side or the other.

It's a great bed so far. And I'll add that you can get knock-offs online for cheaper. We got ours at SleepTrain and took advantage of their price guarantee. Found a comparable online for less and they refunded the difference.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:17 PM   #6
Brian Mulvaney

Profile:
We've had one for one for over ten years. Outstanding mattress. Great company. They replaced the air pump and remotes once under warranty (about five years in). About seven years in we noticed a little mold on the chambers and foam liner. (We were living in an extremely humid climate with no A/C.) Select Comfort sent out replacements at no charge that were mold and mildew resistant. Five stars.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:21 PM   #7
Beth Moscov

Profile:
I never had one of the numbers ones, but will put in a major vote for the temperpedic. Awesome bed. First time in years I haven't woken with a backache or neck ache. And I got it before starting crossfit so it isn't just that I am getting stronger! I hate going out of town cause I can't sleep in my bed. I spoke at a conference two hours away once and drove back and forth daily for three days so I could sleep in my bed at night each night.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:04 PM   #8
Sebastian Montgomery

Profile:

My big concern with the temperedic is that it would make me sweat. Doesn't seem like it breathes a lot.
Or is this just in my mind?
Old 08-25-2005, 10:18 PM   #9
Beth Moscov

Profile:
I did hear that in reviews about the other brands. I also find that I am a bit hotter in summer than I was on my old mattress but nothing that a lighter blanket doesn't help (and I hate the heat). In winter, the extra warmth is lovely. It seems that the warmth dissipates so I am not super sweaty or anything.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:18 PM   #10
David Birozy

Profile:
The Consumer Reports on the Tempur-pedic didn't mention anything about being hotter. Most of the testers really liked it, but CR noted that this bed elicited stronger opinions, both pro and con than the other two (Select Comfort and Duxiana).

Beth - how long have you had yours? Have you noticed any changes in the way it feels? As I mentioned in another post, a similar mattress pad worked fantastic, however after a year or so, it "stopped working" like it used to. I suspect it's because the foam broke down - though the pad is only a few inches think, compared to your bed which is probably 8" thick.

My wife and I had the same experience with the no back ache wake ups. We have a different experience than Veronica, we don't cuddle. I get the "you're too hot, don't touch me" thing. She's got to have a blanket or pillow between us so she doesn't burn up. On the other hand, the kids like to snuggle because "Daddy's so warm," so all isn't a total loss. Of course, we can't face the same direction either because she doesn't want to breath "recycled air." Hmmmm, maybe I should make this a seperate post - wierd wife habits. Or perhaps I should call it "wife habits that are wierd" so as to not offend the wife and find myself on the couch, in which case all of this talk about the mattress is moot! GRIN