CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 12-07-2005, 02:42 PM   #1
Steve Shafley

Profile:
http://s32.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3...X2ZICV7EDJSR3D

The above link shows me doing 475x2. The problems I am having have to do with

a. my left knee shifting inward on the ascent
b. general hip instability...most visible around the start and the finish of each rep

I am moderately detrained, after, basically taking a year of lowered training volume, basically 1-2 sessions a week, with stretches of 2-3 weeks throughout the year where I didn't train at all.

Any critique or advice is welcome.

Thanks
Old 12-08-2005, 11:52 AM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Shaf, since nobody has responded I'll chime in.

I watched the vid a bunch of times and from that angle it looks good to me buddy. Maybe these 'problems' don't show up on video. How's that for less-than-helpful?

What are you looking for? Advice on fixing these problems for injury prevention or performance enhancement? Both? Are you experiencing problems or simply anticipating them and trying to cut them off?
Old 12-08-2005, 12:24 PM   #3
Steve Shafley

Profile:
I'm looking to fix these issues. I've been thinking about it and it's probably due to the fact that I am going too heavy, too soon. I'm going to drop the weight and up the frequency of squatting...front squats and OHS's too.

The left knee thing isn't all that visible, but it's there. That knee was injured in 1992 playing rugby, and I've been leery about it every since. My hips shaking is something new, and I suspect it's happening because I've only been under that kind of weight about 4-5 times this year, and twice was in the last week or so.

Old 12-08-2005, 12:33 PM   #4
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Makes sense. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:26 PM   #5
Russ Greene

Profile:

That looked close to an olympic style squat. Is that what you're going for, Steve? I thought you did powerlifting. I had a similar problem with my right knee so I started doing overhead facing the wall squats, regular facing the wall squats, and one leg squats in my morning routine. That has made it go away almost entirely, though I'm not handling anywhere near the poundage you are.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:20 PM   #6
Dan John

Profile:

Shaf, a couple of things...

First, if you close you eyes and just listen to the lifts, you make a lot of foot noise. Maybe not a huge issue, but I learned to use the least amount of foot movement I could possible have...this was a good hint from Stephan. Your feet also move between reps and that simply tells me that maybe you need to only do ONE kind of squatting for a while.

I'm not sure about the left knee. I think it takes about two years plus to regain the "courage" to trust an injury. Something as simple as using those bands around your knee (the thing the Westies do) to make you pull the knees apart might help in the short run.

So, one stance...maybe one squat. Certainly, Zerchers should be done...maybe just with heavy dumbbells (I call them Goblet Squats when done with dumbells because it looks like you are holding the Holy Grail)...between sets of squats. It's funny, but I sense a confidence issue here...and I have nothing but intuition guiding me on this feeling.

I would also add that when you get "caught" between disciplines...O lifting squats versus a "powerlifting" squat...I think your body also gets confused. That's what I discovered with Deadstop Front Squats. All it really did with me was teach me that I had to fire my legs out of the bottom and not just bounce. So, when I watch you lift, there looks like you have a gear change...and your left knee either tries to help or get out of the way.

So, one stance. Goblet squats...maybe some light fast ones, too, to groove the movement. Maybe the Westie idea of using bands around both knees. Certainly, you need to restructure you max lifts to reflect a year or so "not going so heavy." I found that 50-60% of old bests gave me a lot of work to realign the old pathways. Perhaps you can do the big quarter ton squat...but not every week now.

Old 12-09-2005, 06:09 AM   #7
Brian Hand

Profile:

Steve, do you think you're distributing your weight evenly on both feet? It seems like your weight is more on your right foot. Your left hip seems to be riding a little higher. Do you think your flexibility is even, i.e., symmetric from side to side?
Old 12-09-2005, 07:36 AM   #8
Steve Shafley

Profile:
I've noticed my hip flexors on my left are tighter.

Old 12-22-2005, 08:41 PM   #9
Christopher C Brophy

Profile:

Steve:

I was having the same problem and finally found out one leg was ever so shorter the other which caused me to shift my weight

Just a comment

chris