CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 03-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #11
Wayne Riddle

Profile:
Re: Anatabloc

Fish oil can help with inflammation too, and is a lot cheaper. Myself I will wait till I see something more solid in the scientific validation department.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #12
William Goldsmith

Profile:

Michael,

I wanted to address the issue regarding Fred Couples. He has gone to Germany for treatment that has not been approved by the FDA for his back problem. And, as part of the testing performed, he had his CRP (C Reactive Protein) level checked. CRP is an indicator of systemic inflammation throughout the body. According to a Harvard Women's Health Study, CRP is a better indicator of heart disease than cholesterol levels. Women in the group with the highest CRP levels were four times as likely to die from coronary artery disease, or to have suffered a nonfatal heart attack or stroke when compared to those with the lowest levels. Fred Couples CRP level when first tested was 6.5 (above 3.0 is high). after three months on Anatabloc, his CRP level declined to .8. Couples himself attributes the reduction in his CRP level to Anatabloc. There is a double blind study currently in progress specifically designed to see if Anatabloc does reduce CRP. The study should be completed around July of this year. Another study, that was not a double blind study, showed that Anatabloc reduced CRP levels in obese smokers by one third. Anyway, I hope this information is helpful.

Bill

Old 02-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #13
Mike Lawson

Profile:

So far, there have been four peer-reviewed articles on anatabine (Anatabloc) published. They all show very positive outcomes. They are:

1) “Anatabine lowers Alzheimer's Aβ production in vitro and in vivo” published in the European Journal of Pharmacology – 11/30/11

2) “Anatabine Ameliorates Experimental Autoimmune Thyroiditis” published in Endocrinology – Online 7/17/12, Print 9/1/12

3) “Anti-inflammatory activity of anatabine via inhibition of STAT3 phosphorylation” published in the European Journal of Pharmacology – 1/5/13

4) “Amelioration of Experimental Autoimmune Encephalomyelitis by Anatabine” published in PLOS ONE – 1/30/13

There are 3 human studies working their way through the process with the recent human thyroid study and all the data likely to be the first published. I know of no other supplement in the history of supplements that has undergone so many studies in such a short time. Checkout clinicaltrials.gov and type in anatabine.

Of particular interest to the CrossFit Discussion Board would be reports of reduced inflammation, improved workout recovery and weight loss in GNC and Amazon reviews. I've been taking it since Oct 2011. Some of the many benefits I've experienced are; over 60 lbs weight loss, excellent blood labs and my CRP is less than 0.50.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #14
Richard Deyan

Profile:

$100 a month? Nope, sorry.
Even IF they had clinical studies to show how much it lowered C-Reactive Protein (which they don't) it would have to be substantial to warrant $100 a month for a single product whose sole claim is anti-inflammatory for joints. I can use $100 a month in much better fashion than that product.

Last edited by Richard Deyan : 02-14-2013 at 02:20 PM. Reason: added a "be" in there.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #15
Richard Deyan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lawson View Post
So far, there have been four peer-reviewed articles on anatabine (Anatabloc) published. They all show very positive outcomes. They are:

1) “Anatabine lowers Alzheimer's Aβ production in vitro and in vivo” published in the European Journal of Pharmacology – 11/30/11

2) “Anatabine Ameliorates Experimental Autoimmune Thyroiditis” published in Endocrinology – Online 7/17/12, Print 9/1/12

3) “Anti-inflammatory activity of anatabine via inhibition of STAT3 phosphorylation” published in the European Journal of Pharmacology – 1/5/13

4) “Amelioration of Experimental Autoimmune Encephalomyelitis by Anatabine” published in PLOS ONE – 1/30/13

There are 3 human studies working their way through the process with the recent human thyroid study and all the data likely to be the first published. I know of no other supplement in the history of supplements that has undergone so many studies in such a short time. Checkout clinicaltrials.gov and type in anatabine.

Of particular interest to the CrossFit Discussion Board would be reports of reduced inflammation, improved workout recovery and weight loss in GNC and Amazon reviews. I've been taking it since Oct 2011. Some of the many benefits I've experienced are; over 60 lbs weight loss, excellent blood labs and my CRP is less than 0.50.
I didn't go through all 4 studies but I believe in study #4 they used 20mg Anatabine per 1 kg of bodyweight. Anatabloc only has 1mg Anatabine per serving? That's not a very good study to list...

Old 02-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #16
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Don't let science get in the way of good advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #17
Mike Lawson

Profile:

Tough crowd. I guess there won't be any "thanks Mike for the effort it took to get that together for us and welcome".

Richard Deyan, I wonder what your response would have been if I had cherry picked studies as you suggest might have been a wiser choice and then you found out about it. I wouldn't do that.

Anyway, your PHD studies must have overlooked that if you want to compare mice to humans for this supplement for dosage purposes, you would use an FDA approved method such as you could find here: http://www.fda.gov/OHRMS/DOCKETS/98f...l0001-vol1.pdfYOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.

I shared some facts, opinion and personal experience. I wasn't snarky. My nephew is a Cross Fit trainer (and a search and rescue volunteer.). He said, "health and well being are more important than the money.....and there are many roads to get there."

Last edited by Mike Lawson : 02-14-2013 at 04:16 PM.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #18
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

Don't take it too personally Mike. Just being your first post and all, it seemed like more of an advertisement than someone trying to spread information and help people. Given that most people who CrossFit pay upwards of 150-200 a month for a membership, it isn't farfetched that some people would pay the money and see some good affects from the product. I won't personally use it, but I'm sure a lot of people benefit from it.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:06 PM   #19
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

And I am leery of people who tell me it isn't about money where my health is concerned. Spare no expense! Pardon my skepticism.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:39 PM   #20
Mike Lawson

Profile:

Okay, but you cannot imagine my surprise. I get it. Is there a way to just delete my comments and go away?