CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-27-2006, 04:53 PM   #1
Jeremy Zagarella

Profile:  
So I read on this site that beer counter acts working out?

I'm 32yrs old, and I probally have on average 2-4 beers a night.

What is it doing that is so bad for me?
Old 11-27-2006, 06:30 PM   #2
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Besides filling your man-boobs with estrogen and killing brain cells? Not much, I guess. Oh yeah, and a boatload of empty carbohydrate calories...that's a plus.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:56 PM   #3
Jeremy Zagarella

Profile:  
I'd kinda like a little research to back up the first "fact".

Can you point me in the right direction?
Old 11-28-2006, 03:40 AM   #4
Mark Permelia

Profile:
"Beer proves that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Ben Franklin

Its tough to argue with a founding father :-)
Old 11-28-2006, 11:53 AM   #5
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Research? What fit, in-shape person do you know drinks 3-4 beers a day? I can't think of one myself. In fact everyone I know who drinks beer regularly or binges hard on weekends is rather fat and out-of-shape. Just my observation (not a fact).
Old 11-28-2006, 01:45 PM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Beer consumption goes up.....Testosterone goes downnnnnnnn....Fat storage goes Upppppp

Want muscle....keep your beer consuption down. Don't be like everyone else...most are in a sad state of health....set an example....have a beer or two on the weekend if you like but it's not a daily staple for anyone looking for optimal health.

The title on this website is "forging elite fitness"...not "being average and good at pool"...do something more for yourself, you have the potential for greatness, only thing holding you back is you.

(Message edited by mike_od on November 28, 2006)
Old 11-28-2006, 01:50 PM   #7
David Stegman

Profile:
I enjoy beer every now and then. I used to drink several a week but now I rarely have one.

I find myself saying "If I'm going to have a bunch of empty calories I want a slice of chocolate cake!"

If you would have asked me to choose between beer and cake a couple of years ago I would have said "Why not both?"
Old 11-28-2006, 02:09 PM   #8
Carrick Joseph Hines

Profile:
What about red wine? Is it a bad idea to have a glass of wine or two a day?
Old 11-28-2006, 02:22 PM   #9
Elliot Royce

Profile:
You know, I wouldn't sweat it too much if you keep control over the other parts of your diet. 4 beers per night is perhaps excessive but 2 beers or 2 glasses of wine is not going to hurt you if you don't add empty carbs in popcorn or nachos etc.

Red wine has been shown to be healthy for a number of reasons. There are any number of citations online.

I average around 2 drinks per night. I'm 44 years old, about 7-8% body fat, and feeling good enough. You have to enjoy life. I'm sure Keith W. will point out that I can't max out on any of the CF routines (or even come close) but I can hold my own with kids half my age at ice hockey (beer and hockey seem to go together!). Somehow I don't think many rugby players or Aussie rules players are downing perrier after their games, and they seem to keep in pretty good shape.

Enjoy life (within reason)! Pounding alcohol on your own in front of the TV is sad. Enjoying some drinks with your buddies in college or after work is what life is about.

I mean, the people standing around your grave at your funeral are not going to be talking about your times in Linda. They're going to remember you for the quality of your relationships with them. That doesn't mean alcohol is necessary for a relationship but there are few things that beat having a beer or two with your best friends or spouse.

(Message edited by eroyce on November 28, 2006)
Old 11-28-2006, 03:48 PM   #10
Jeremy Zagarella

Profile:  
Mike. Do you really think that 24oz of 5% alcohol beer every day is going to drive your testosterone down to such an extent that you cant be elite?

My thoughts...

Man, I know plenty of guys that have a beer or two every day and are in great shape. When you get to the point where your saying, "yeah, but if I dont have those two beers, I'll be in phenomenal shape", you might be worshiping yourself a bit much.

Isnt fitness is a means to life, not the other way around.