CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 08-24-2010, 09:09 AM   #11
Darla Powell

Profile:
Re: Traditional Split Into CF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
I can't suggest how you should train until I know what you are training for. Goals, what are they?
Ahhh! That was gonna be my guess. I should've put it.

I want to lean out and get stronger. I want to rehab my gamey shoulders and I want to increase my stamina and anaerobic capacity. I want to challenge myself and be strong like bull but not look like one.

Edit: I also doing this for my shoulders. More structure and skill and control for heavy weight - then Metcon for conditioning. But no SDHP metcons see?

Last edited by Darla Powell : 08-24-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:47 AM   #12
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"I want to lean out and get stronger. I want to rehab my gamey shoulders and I want to increase my stamina and anaerobic capacity. I want to challenge myself and be strong like bull but not look like one"

Figures. Alright, you get to work on two of the four at a time. Since strength takes the longest to build and lasts the longest, do that first. I'm going to say CFFB again or CFSB. The only issue I have with CFSB is the high rep strength movements. If your form is nailed down, they are great (see 20 rep squat program), if not, this will make the movements worse.

You also have to pick your own metcons, which for some people can be a *****, but for some people can be a boon since they can focus of weaknesses or something they need to be good at (passing PT test, sprts specific training, etc).

I don't know how much you eat now and don't care really. If you are going to do dedicated strength work, for most people that means eating more than normal. DOn't be affraid to eat. Eat a bunch, you shouldn't ever really be hungry, but since you aren't trying to gain weight, you shouldn't be stuffed either, probably. Give it two week intervals. If you aren't recovring well, eat more (500 cals or so), if you are putting on too much fat, reduce (300 cals or so).

Start with the amatuer strength wods and see how you do.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:51 AM   #13
Brent Eno

Profile:

Have you looked at this?- http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=35062 WFS
Old 08-24-2010, 10:23 AM   #14
Darla Powell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
"I want to lean out and get stronger. I want to rehab my gamey shoulders and I want to increase my stamina and anaerobic capacity. I want to challenge myself and be strong like bull but not look like one"

Figures. Alright, you get to work on two of the four at a time. Since strength takes the longest to build and lasts the longest, do that first. I'm going to say CFFB again or CFSB. The only issue I have with CFSB is the high rep strength movements. If your form is nailed down, they are great (see 20 rep squat program), if not, this will make the movements worse.

You also have to pick your own metcons, which for some people can be a *****, but for some people can be a boon since they can focus of weaknesses or something they need to be good at (passing PT test, sprts specific training, etc).

I don't know how much you eat now and don't care really. If you are going to do dedicated strength work, for most people that means eating more than normal. DOn't be affraid to eat. Eat a bunch, you shouldn't ever really be hungry, but since you aren't trying to gain weight, you shouldn't be stuffed either, probably. Give it two week intervals. If you aren't recovring well, eat more (500 cals or so), if you are putting on too much fat, reduce (300 cals or so).

Start with the amatuer strength wods and see how you do.
Thank you although I am a little sad that you don't care what I eat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Eno View Post
Thanks. I will check that out.
Here is what I did today:

5 OH squats Bar only 45#

3X5 FSquats 95#
3X5 BSquats 115#

First squat session with new rack and bumpers. Focus on technique and flexibility

3X20 Lunges with bar 65#

WOD
3 Rounds

30 Wall Ball 16# ( Ordered a 20#)
300 Meters w/50# Sandbag
100 Singles Jump Rope

How does that look? Remember I am getting my feet wet with
the bar stuff.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:18 PM   #15
David Meverden

Profile:

Your workout looks like it's going in the right direction. Few comments:

-Seems like a lot of leg volume because of both the high rep wallball AND lunges. Some programs use the metcon as high rep assistance, some use separate high rep assistance and then a metcon that avoids those muscles. Most don't use high rep assistance AND a metcon that will burn out that muscle group.

-I wouldn't do front squats and back squats on the same day. Maybe you only did that because you were playing around with new equipment, but for heavy sets one will compromise the other and if the form is not nailed down that could be compromised as well.

-How long did the MetCon take? Most strength programs have metcons lasting less than 15 minutes. I'm guessing that took more like 20-25
Old 08-26-2010, 08:50 PM   #16
Darla Powell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
Your workout looks like it's going in the right direction. Few comments:

-Seems like a lot of leg volume because of both the high rep wallball AND lunges. Some programs use the metcon as high rep assistance, some use separate high rep assistance and then a metcon that avoids those muscles. Most don't use high rep assistance AND a metcon that will burn out that muscle group.

-I wouldn't do front squats and back squats on the same day. Maybe you only did that because you were playing around with new equipment, but for heavy sets one will compromise the other and if the form is not nailed down that could be compromised as well.

-How long did the MetCon take? Most strength programs have metcons lasting less than 15 minutes. I'm guessing that took more like 20-25
I forgot to time it but I would say it was around 20. No longer than that for sure.
I was playing with the new toys as well as practicing stuff. But it was 'leg'day also. I am still not sure if I will do both squats or just pick one.

This was today's WO

Strength:

(Still getting familiar with the new bumper set and technique)

Bench WU 10X 45# Bar
10X65#
5X 95#
3X115#

PP
( Getting a feel for capacity and shoulders)
10x45# bar
10 X 65#
1X 95X ( dropped on stall mats over tile. Held up )
5X 65#
5 X65#

Ring Dips ( assisted on the up - negatives on the down) 5X5

WOD

5 rounds

10 box jumps 20" (First time ever doing these)
100 single JR
15 Burpees

15:44 ( this includes the 25 feet transfer time from to plyo box to the jump rope area)
Old 08-27-2010, 12:11 AM   #17
CJ Kim

Profile:

If you want to do a traditional split combined with CF type workouts, you should look at Joe DeFranco's Westside for Skinny Bastards (free .pdf here -- http://www.yale.edu/gradrugby/WS4SB.pdf). You can also read about the program, and two older versions of it, on his website or on T-nation. I did the original plan (w/o crossfit) a long time ago, it's very good. And it looks like you can easily modify it to sub in 3 WOD's a week. I plan on doing this once I finish up my current program.

WSFSB (w/ crossfit):
Monday - Heavy Upper Body
Tuesday - Dynamic Lower Body or Speed Training (his program is mostly plyo's or sprints, so sub in a met-con with DU's, wall balls, air squats, box jumps, etc.)
Wednesday - Off
Thursday - Heavy Lower Body + Finisher (he recommends prowler sprints, farmer walks or sled drags, so sub in a heavy, short met-con)
Friday - Repetition Upper Body
Saturday - Conditioning and Sport Skill work day (sub a longer met-con)
Sunday - off
Old 08-27-2010, 04:59 AM   #18
Darla Powell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Kim View Post
If you want to do a traditional split combined with CF type workouts, you should look at Joe DeFranco's Westside for Skinny Bastards (free .pdf here -- http://www.yale.edu/gradrugby/WS4SB.pdf). You can also read about the program, and two older versions of it, on his website or on T-nation. I did the original plan (w/o crossfit) a long time ago, it's very good. And it looks like you can easily modify it to sub in 3 WOD's a week. I plan on doing this once I finish up my current program.

WSFSB (w/ crossfit):
Monday - Heavy Upper Body
Tuesday - Dynamic Lower Body or Speed Training (his program is mostly plyo's or sprints, so sub in a met-con with DU's, wall balls, air squats, box jumps, etc.)
Wednesday - Off
Thursday - Heavy Lower Body + Finisher (he recommends prowler sprints, farmer walks or sled drags, so sub in a heavy, short met-con)
Friday - Repetition Upper Body
Saturday - Conditioning and Sport Skill work day (sub a longer met-con)
Sunday - off
Thank you. I ordered Rippetoe's strength programming book also.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:30 PM   #19
David Meverden

Profile:

Practical Programming for Strength Training will not give you much help in the way of traditional body part splits, but does have lots of great information regarding training for strength and power (Kilgore and Rippetoe feel that the bedrock of any strength program should be heavy compound movements, with perhaps smaller movements just as assistance to the main one).

If all you are craving is structured lifting in addition to CF, several of the programs you've seen people talk about around here such as CrossFit Strength Bias and Wendlers 5/3/1 would fit the bill.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:15 PM   #20
Darla Powell

Profile:

Thanks. I did just get that book and I am trying to make heads or tails of it.