CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 04-24-2008, 09:00 AM   #11
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: Angie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan McKenzie View Post
I was reading about pull-up substitutions on the FAQ page. What would guys say to do if I can't do one pull-up yet?
I'd say to read the FAQ that tells you what to do if you can't do one pullup yet.

- Mark
Old 04-24-2008, 09:14 AM   #12
Ryan McKenzie

Profile:

Mark-

Thank you so much. You are so helpful! And I should also apologize for making you feel obligated to reply to a question that you obviously feel is just silly!! I feel ridiculous for even thinking I needed to make a post! At least there are people like you to set me straight, thanks.

Anyways, my question is what would be the best thing to do for ANGIE given my circumstances, in other words is there a particular sub that, in peoples experience (after all thats why theres a message board, so we can learn from each others experience) that is superior to another given that we have to 100 reps as quickly as possible.

Mark you're the man!!
Old 04-24-2008, 09:19 AM   #13
Daniel Olmstead

Profile:

Once my full-BW pullups die I do either jumping pullups or, if I'm at the gym, the gravitron. Be careful of those jumping pullups, though - they sneak up on you, and the full brunt of what you're doing doesn't hit until you stop.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:27 AM   #14
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Chrst....I didn't say it was silly; I said it had been asked and answered before. Having read the FAQ, you already knew that.

I doubt that anyone but you can decide what's best for you. The FAQ gives you five options for pullup substitution. I'd just suggest choosing one or a combination of a few of them and giving it a go. If something doesn't work for you, try a different combination. Experiment.

- Mark
Old 04-24-2008, 11:48 AM   #15
Jimi Miller

Profile:

Had my first run in at the gym today. At about pullup 75, a guy comes over and asks if he can get a set in on the bar (there are 2 others in the joint). I say sorry but no, I'm timing this and have 25 left. He just laughed. Granted, at this point I'm about 10 minutes in and am having to do sets of 5, but still. I wanted to go over and kick him in a very sensitive place. He actually waited while I finished off.

Still, he did help get my adrenaline going a bit and I finished off pretty strong. Plus if felt pretty good to go straight into pushups while he did his oh-so-important 7 pullups.

Thank god for my ipod b/c if he would have started in about my kipping during the workout I would have had to get nasty even if he was about a foot taller than me.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:56 PM   #16
Jake Di Vita

Profile:

Quote:
Mark-

Thank you so much. You are so helpful! And I should also apologize for making you feel obligated to reply to a question that you obviously feel is just silly!! I feel ridiculous for even thinking I needed to make a post! At least there are people like you to set me straight, thanks.

Anyways, my question is what would be the best thing to do for ANGIE given my circumstances, in other words is there a particular sub that, in peoples experience (after all thats why theres a message board, so we can learn from each others experience) that is superior to another given that we have to 100 reps as quickly as possible.

Mark you're the man!!
Was that really needed?

This question has been asked no fewer then 100 times (hence the reason why it is in the FAQ's). You can do plenty of research yourself right here on this forum by using the search function. In fact you could have probably found 10 threads answering your question in the same amount of time it took you to write out that sarcastic response.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:05 PM   #17
Simon Bowley

Profile:

Just had my first date with "Angie." I can't do more than 4 dead hang pullups at a stretch yet, but instead of scaling I (floolishly) decided to try it...

The pullups alone took me 41 minutes!!!

The whole lot took me 60 mins 30 secs. A new record?

Started crossfit a few months ago and unfortunately got hopelessly distracted by other committments and got into bad habits...

Back on track now.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:51 PM   #18
Trenton Widdis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas DeBruhl View Post
Trenton where are you working out in Fredericksburg? Is there a crossfit gym there or are you just on your own?
I attend the Golds Gym in Fburg and do my workout there. It ****es the non-xfitters off, but screw em!!!!
Old 04-24-2008, 04:09 PM   #19
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Di Vita View Post
Was that really needed?

This question has been asked no fewer then 100 times (hence the reason why it is in the FAQ's). You can do plenty of research yourself right here on this forum by using the search function.
I think I understand the problem.

There's no way that the search function was going to give him a specific answer to "What should Ryan McKenzie, from Carslbad, California, sub for the pullups in Angie, the April 24, 2008 WOD, since he can't do a standard pullup?"

I guess we can look forward to a similar question as soon as Barbara (for example) comes around, since she too has pullups but is called by a different name.

- Mark
Old 04-24-2008, 04:21 PM   #20
Ryan McKenzie

Profile:

Im calling a truce. Mark, I am sorry I deliberately offended you.

I DID take the time to read the FAQ page, but my question is not "what are the subs for pull-ups" it is "which sub do you guys recommend if you have to do 100 of them for time". In the same amount of words you spent telling me to do a search, you could of said do lat-pulldowns, or you could of ignored it for that matter.

Im new here, so I havn't learned whats been asked 100 times already, I just had a question and it pertained to the WOD, so the WOD THREAD seemed like a fair place to grab a few opinions.

Lets just drop it.