CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 03-11-2008, 11:10 PM   #11
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Re: Tommy V

Ground to top, but if you're cool, you will start (and finish) in an L-sit.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:17 PM   #12
John Biddle

Profile:

Derek, thanks. So this means the actual distance climbed is less than 15'? I've seen photos of people starting from the floor, with legs at an "L" - I think this is what made me think you're not supposed to use your feet in rope climbs. Distance climbed even from sitting would be more like 10' - 11' - so do you correspondingly cut down the number of towel pull-ups?
Old 03-11-2008, 11:33 PM   #13
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Maybe - but I'd probably use the official sub and use that as an incentive for getting a climbing rope. For this one, however, seven pull-ups seems more reasonable.

As for actual starting position, it does make a big difference as a tall person could theoretically cut half his climb off by simply standing. Then again, some ropes are 20'. Anyways, all the WOD videos I recall have had start-from-standing rope climbs, so you can do them that way if you want, or start from sitting.

This is the first main page WOD I've seen (at least recently, maybe in past years) with rope climbs, so definite information may be sparse.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:07 AM   #14
Jeff Yan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Biddle View Post
Derek, thanks. So this means the actual distance climbed is less than 15'? I've seen photos of people starting from the floor, with legs at an "L" - I think this is what made me think you're not supposed to use your feet in rope climbs. Distance climbed even from sitting would be more like 10' - 11' - so do you correspondingly cut down the number of towel pull-ups?
This is one of the reasons why I think 15 towel pull ups is a completely unreasonable sub. I'd imagine 15 towel pull ups to be the equivalent of starting your rope climb while lying on your stomach.

Does anybody know if RXed requires absolutely NO use of the legs on rope climbs? I think someone told me that using legs was acceptable for RX.

Either way, at this rate, it actually sounds preferable to do 21 thrusters, then go out to a store to purchase and then install a rope while the clock is still running and then proceed with rope climbs and the rest of the WOD than it would be to do 405 towel pull ups. Hell, you'd probably have to run out in the middle of the WOD to do shopping anyway to replace all the towels you'd end up ripping in half.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:20 AM   #15
David McRae

Profile:

The substitution isn't 15 towel pull-ups but rather 15 see-saws. See Rob's demonstration in the exercises and demo's section. The movement more closely replicates what you would do with a rope.

As always, it is you against yourself, so you can scale it and do jumping rope pullups to give you the upper and lower body workout that rope climbs do.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:19 AM   #16
Alexander Kornishev

Profile:

Posted by another mike on comments page:

After reading the FAQ very carefully, I've come to the realization that there is no answer to the question of how many TPU=1 Ascent. 1 TPU=1 Foot assumes that climbing is a relatively legless endeavor. There are videos of legless climbs under the heading "Crossfitters are freaks," so that doesn't seem like the right RX. My conclusion is that 15 Jumping TPU=1 Ascent. Agree or disagree?

I would say this one makes a lot of sense.
The only thing I would add: jump, stay at the top of pull-up position, bring bent legs up to the elbows and then down again and then lower yourself down (that completes one pull-ups, not sure if that makes sense) What do you think guys?
43/5'9"/180 SP: 195, BS: 425, DL: 500, Clean: 285, Jerk: 265, Snatch: 200, Fran: 2:19
Old 03-12-2008, 07:54 AM   #17
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Yan View Post
This is one of the reasons why I think 15 towel pull ups is a completely unreasonable sub. I'd imagine 15 towel pull ups to be the equivalent of starting your rope climb while lying on your stomach.

Does anybody know if RXed requires absolutely NO use of the legs on rope climbs? I think someone told me that using legs was acceptable for RX.

Either way, at this rate, it actually sounds preferable to do 21 thrusters, then go out to a store to purchase and then install a rope while the clock is still running and then proceed with rope climbs and the rest of the WOD than it would be to do 405 towel pull ups. Hell, you'd probably have to run out in the middle of the WOD to do shopping anyway to replace all the towels you'd end up ripping in half.

I'd say that there are exceedingly few who will complete this many rope climbs without using legs, at least in any reasonable amount of time. I'd say that in this case, using the legs is more functional and this is a "get up the rope any way you can" type of WOD.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:43 AM   #18
Richard Hancock

Profile:

In honor of Tommy V, I will spend as much time as I can put in, but this one looks like it will take me a day or two to complete. OMG!

Is this even possible? Are there really people so fit that they can do this?

I am not one of them I am sure. I can climb up maybe 10', ONCE! then I will need time before the next.

I know 115 lbs means heavy thruster for me, not 115. But...

Okay, again, I am weak, I am fragile, I am woriking on it.

I already love how much this will hurt. I hope there is time, today to get part of the way through it.

Anybody else afraid?
Old 03-12-2008, 08:47 AM   #19
Chris Dillinger

Profile:

Here is what I did,

As many rounds in 20 minutes of

5 #95 pound thrusters
10 Pull ups
15 KB swings #45 pounds

8 rounds. Probably could have gotten more but I was not feeling it this morning.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:47 AM   #20
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Due to my apartment's 8' ceiling, I do two 8' climbs for every one 15' WOD ascent. I start each climb sitting on the floor and end each 8' climb sitting on the floor. All climbs are hands only, both up and down the rope. If I had access to a 15' rope I would climb hands only as many times as I safely could then use both hands and feet. I've suffered enough broken bones over the years - I don't want any more!

It takes me 6 pulls on an eight foot rope from sitting to touching ceiling (I counted it many times this morning!).