CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2008, 03:21 PM   #1
Jared Ashley
Member Jared Ashley is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tucson  AZ
Posts: 1,550
Lynne - Specify "strict" PU?

Before you tell me to read the FAQ, I already have. I know the benefits of kipping and I kip most often. I know kipping is the "default" unless otherwise specified. That said...

I feel strict form should be specified for "Lynne". Clearly, this WOD is not about power production, speed, efficiency of movement, metcon... all the things kipping is for. "Lynne" is about strength, pure and simple. In this context I believe that kipping is indeed "cheating" or to use a less severe term, "substituting". Most posters have not specified if they are kipping or not, though given the numbers I think many are. So tell me:

Did you kip for "lynne"?
Do you believe strict form should be specified?
Are you solo or an affilliate/member of an affilliate?

I am curious about what affilliates are doing in particular. Thanks to all who answer.

Regardless of opinions here, I will use strict form (i am crossfitting solo).
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:29 PM   #2
Sean Dunston
Affiliate Sean Dunston is offline
 
Sean Dunston's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alexandria  VA
Posts: 5,759
Re: Lynne - Specify "strict" PU?

Well, if you think that they do things the right way at CFHQ, then Brendan's video shows him kipping. wfs
http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...t_LynneWOD.mov
Who am I to argue with that?


Oh - and I go to an affiliate.

PS: I think that CFHQ does a good job of stating when a person in a video is NOT doing something as RX'd (not full ROM, etc.).

Last edited by Sean Dunston : 01-17-2008 at 03:34 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:32 PM   #3
Steven Low
Member Steven Low is offline
 
Steven Low's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: silver spring  maryland
Posts: 12,221
Re: Lynne - Specify "strict" PU?

Lynne is a push-pull metcon in rounds like tabata or FGB uses since the pullups are immediately after the bench press. Therefore, I would say kipping pullups.

The pure strength workouts will be your 1-1-1s, 3-3-3s, 5-5-5s, CFT or whatever.

I randomly go to some affiliates, but I'm more or less solo (although I haven't been doing CF for a while since I've been doing strength).
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:04 PM   #4
Jared Ashley
Member Jared Ashley is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tucson  AZ
Posts: 1,550
Re: Lynne - Specify "strict" PU?

[quote=Steven Low;243414]Lynne is a push-pull metcon in rounds like tabata or FGB uses since the pullups are immediately after the bench press. Therefore, I would say kipping pullups.
QUOTE]

Good answers so far, keep them coming.

Not sure I agree with the above. Certainly, Lynne could be performed as bench followed immediately by pullups, however that is not specified, and the workout is not timed. If we can rest between rounds, why could we not also rest between bench and PU? Personally I do bench, rest maybe 1 minute, then do pullups, the rest more like 3-5 and start round 2.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:13 PM   #5
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer
Member Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Glenmont  NY
Posts: 1,427
Re: Lynne - Specify "strict" PU?

[quote=Jared Ashley;243427]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Lynne is a push-pull metcon in rounds like tabata or FGB uses since the pullups are immediately after the bench press. Therefore, I would say kipping pullups.
QUOTE]

Good answers so far, keep them coming.

Not sure I agree with the above. Certainly, Lynne could be performed as bench followed immediately by pullups, however that is not specified, and the workout is not timed. If we can rest between rounds, why could we not also rest between bench and PU? Personally I do bench, rest maybe 1 minute, then do pullups, the rest more like 3-5 and start round 2.
Wouldn't that lesson the "push-pull" effect of Lynne?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:19 PM   #6
Gant Grimes
Departed Gant Grimes is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 1970
 
Posts: 1,549
Re: Lynne - Specify "strict" PU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post
Regardless of opinions here, I will use strict form (i am crossfitting solo).
At least you're being open-minded about it.

To answer your questions, yes, I kip (since you've read the FAQ, you know kipping is default unless stated otherwise); yes, strict form should be enforced (kipping IS strict form); and I work out by myself at an affiliate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post
Clearly, this WOD is not about power production, speed, efficiency of movement, metcon... all the things kipping is for. "Lynne" is about strength, pure and simple.
That is not correct. Lynne is one of those special metcons that many people can do as prescribed, but cannot yet do it as it is meant to be done (in a pure metcon sense, Lynne is self-scaling).

Diane is clearly meant to be a metcon workout because of the repetitions involved. However, for those who have a 1RM deadlift of 250, it becomes a strength workout. Same with Fran.

Lynne is a different animal because it starts with a prescribed weight and implores you to do as many reps as you can. That absolutely invites kipping pullups. If you can't bench your bodyweight or do more than 5 pullups, it will feel like a strength workout. Once you start cranking out around 10 reps on bench and 15-20 on pullups, you will damn sure feel the metcon effect.

The better you get at Lynne, the worse it hurts. The first time I did Lynne I didn't feel much benefit, but it is now firmly in my top 3 most painful metcons. I felt like throwing up for an hour afterward, and I'm still hurting now.

**Edit. You are supposed to start pullups right after bench press (as long as it takes to chalk up and walk up to the pullup bar, around 30 seconds).

Last edited by Gant Grimes : 01-17-2008 at 04:24 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:25 PM   #7
Steven Low
Member Steven Low is offline
 
Steven Low's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: silver spring  maryland
Posts: 12,221
Re: Lynne - Specify "strict" PU?

Yeah, Gant probably gave a better explanation. It seems like a strength workout, but once you get to the point where you can handle the weights fairly easy (in terms of your 1 RM) it becomes freakishly hard.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:48 PM   #8
Jared Ashley
Member Jared Ashley is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tucson  AZ
Posts: 1,550
Re: Lynne - Specify "strict" PU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
If you can't bench your bodyweight or do more than 5 pullups, it will feel like a strength workout. Once you start cranking out around 10 reps on bench and 15-20 on pullups, you will damn sure feel the metcon effect.

**Edit. You are supposed to start pullups right after bench press (as long as it takes to chalk up and walk up to the pullup bar, around 30 seconds).
I can't speak for others, but I personally did not feel a metcon effect from lynne the last time I did it. I'm no freak of nature, but my numbers were respectable:

BP: 14-10-10-8-7
PU: 16-13-11-10-9

Had I done kipping pullups I think I would have felt the metcon effect. Had I done each round sequentially, even moreso.

I still don't see where it is RX'd to do the two sequentially, though clearly I am in the minority. I did see someone in the comments who said they spoke to Lynne Pitts, who I assume designed this workout, and that she said as Rx'd is resting between EACH exercise. See comment #312 by esteban.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:49 PM   #9
Sean Dunston
Affiliate Sean Dunston is offline
 
Sean Dunston's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alexandria  VA
Posts: 5,759
Re: Lynne - Specify "strict" PU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post
I can't speak for others, but I personally did not feel a metcon effect from lynne the last time I did it. I'm no freak of nature, but my numbers were respectable:

BP: 14-10-10-8-7
PU: 16-13-11-10-9

Had I done kipping pullups I think I would have felt the metcon effect. Had I done each round sequentially, even moreso.

I still don't see where it is RX'd to do the two sequentially, though clearly I am in the minority. I did see someone in the comments who said they spoke to Lynne Pitts, who I assume designed this workout, and that she said as Rx'd is resting between EACH exercise. See comment #312 by esteban.
Have you watched the video of the WOD yet?
I think it is pretty good example of what CrossFit HQ expects CF'ers to do for this WOD.

Last edited by Sean Dunston : 01-17-2008 at 04:54 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:07 PM   #10
Jared Ashley
Member Jared Ashley is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tucson  AZ
Posts: 1,550
Re: Lynne - Specify "strict" PU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
Have you watched the video of the WOD yet?
I think it is pretty good example of what CrossFit HQ expects CF'ers to do for this WOD.
I have now. And the video as you said shows kipping and shows no rest between exercises... as you say, "who am I to argue with that?"

That said, I will still refrain from kipping on this one. crossfit rarely gives the opportunity to test my strict pull-up max during a WOD, and my arms are usually too shot to test it any other time.

In the end, I don't think it matters much if you do this the way I am or the way most others are... the numbers will differ, but you'll come out of it with jelly-like arms either way. And after the filthy fifty followed by a 5k run, I don't feel that I've lacked for metcon this round.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WOD thoughts on "As prescribed" with rest vs "Scaled" straight through Matt DeMinico Workout of the Day 15 10-02-2008 02:29 AM
another "different" Lynne Question Fabiano Burzacca Workout of the Day 3 01-17-2008 02:18 PM
5 foot mom, "Will cross fit make me too big?" Molly Jones Fitness 12 12-30-2007 10:35 AM
"Lynne" Jake Aldridge Workout of the Day 3 10-24-2007 06:38 AM
Kettlebell strength carrying over to barbell exercises (the "what the hell" effect) Jason Rambo Fitness 10 08-31-2007 01:45 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.