CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 04-26-2005, 12:45 PM   #1
David Easton

Profile:
ATTENTION U.K CROSSFIT FANATICS

SUNDAY 1ST MAY

3RD (UN)OFFICIAL CROSSFIT U.K SUFFER ON SUNDAY

TIME - 12.00PM

LOCATION - SIDCUP (Karls back garden)

Open to all members of the Crossfit Family

This time round the S.O.S is in 3 parts.

1 Helen Race - 400m run, 21 Kettlebell Swings, 12 pull ups- 3 sets.

This can be done either on your own or as a pair.

2. Military S.O.S- Exercise - Round1 - Round2 - Round3

Pull-up - 10 20 40
Swings - 10 20 40
Push-up - 15 30 60
Run - 200m 400m 800m

3. Secret Service Snatch Test- As many one handed snatches as you can in 10 minutes.

This can be done with any weight that you feel comfortable with, either Kettlebell, Dumbell or Barbell.

Please forward any times, comments or abuse to Karl at spikey_karl@hotmail.com

Old 04-26-2005, 01:34 PM   #2
David Werner

Profile:
David, Karl et al

You guys are going too far in your use of our event.

We've been running "Suffer on Saturday" in Seattle for several years now, as a way to increase exposure of our small business and to entice new people to try CrossFit. We've freely shared what we're doing with anyone who wants to participate. The idea was to include anyone from the entire Crossfit community. In the past people who have used our catchy little "S.O.S." name have had the good grace to acknowledge CrossFit North.

Your wanting to get together and train is awesome. I would ask however that you all either take part in our competition or think up your own event.

Putting this out here like it was your idea after we've been doing it for years shows little regard for the community that you have recently joined.

Dave Werner
Crossfit North
Old 04-26-2005, 02:00 PM   #3
Peter Galloway

Profile:

Dave,

No disrespect intended, we'll think up a different name
Old 04-26-2005, 02:24 PM   #4
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Sorry Dave, we haven't forgotten where the idea came from. We'll do as you ask.
Old 04-26-2005, 03:11 PM   #5
David Easton

Profile:
Dave, it isnt showing disrespect for you, your organisation, your event or the community.

We will come up with another name for it.

Old 04-26-2005, 03:29 PM   #6
David Easton

Profile:
But it isnt like we are trying to take customers away from you by naming it that!

And as for

"Putting this out here like it was your idea after we've been doing it for years shows little regard for the community that you have recently joined. "

we are simply trying to provide some of that community spirit, that your previous post does not appear to have
Old 04-26-2005, 03:55 PM   #7
David Werner

Profile:
Thank you guys

I know perfectly well that you meant no harm, and I apreciate your cooperation. What I really want is for you all to participate in our event and we get a truly international community of people suffering together. I realize though that equipment, time, available facilities and individual interests all interfer with this.

Regards
Dave Werner
Old 04-27-2005, 01:50 AM   #8
Karl Steadman

Profile:
David,

Indeed no harm was intended and we will no longer use the name, but i have to second Davie's words on the community aspect of your comments.

Saying we show little regard for a community we have recently joined is a little out of order in my opinion. The use of a phrase that seems to be a common one in CrossFit was all we were doing. How we would be affecting your operation when we are across an ocean seems a little far fetched?

We or perhaps i should only speak for me at this point, would be more than happy to participate in your event, but inferring our use of your event and not referring to CrossFit North, is with bad grace is silly. Everybody who came to the event there knows it was your idea and not ours, we simply were using it to try and create a common theme. I do not appreciate being accused of doing something i haven't done. I hold you and your organisation in high regard David, but i am not going to sit back when these things are thrown out on the board and i do not agree. Please do not take this as an attack, merely an expression as to how i feel.

If you wish us to take part, perhaps you could let us know what you and your participants are going to do and we will join in. In the meantime SOS is all yours with all the good grace i can muster and with no disrespect intended at any time.

Kind Regards,

Karl

Old 04-27-2005, 02:13 AM   #9
Peter Galloway

Profile:

Dave,

When we first started throwing the idea of having a monthly meeting around, our original intention was indeed to "play along" with the CrossFit North SOS. However, for reasons that you mention above (ie equipment and facilities), we had to abandon this idea in favour of a more straightforward workout-style format. The name stuck however, albeit in a lighthearted, ironic sense. If you had seen our first (very small) meeting you would get the joke - our little event can only be described as a shambolic affair compared to the real thing!

However, I understand that with our attempts to get others involved, we have created what is in a sense a rival event to the CFN SOS (in internet terms that is: as Davie points out, as a ramshackle bunch 5000 miles away we are not in any danger of rivalling CrossFit North!). This was not our intention, and despite the comparative lowliness of our efforts, our continued use of the name in this context is, of course, insensitive and unacceptable, and we will gladly find an alternative. Please accept my apologies for the misunderstanding; it was the result of naivete and enthusiasm rather than any malicious intent.

I can understand your desire for us to participate in the CFN SOS, but what we have found is that the process of bouncing ideas around and attempting to decide upon a format for the next meeting is an integral part of the community-building process. Furthermore, in the nicest possible way, as a proud island people we want an event which is 100% OURS! (which is of course another good reason for devising a different name!) Attempting to build a community of UK CrossFitters is at the heart of what we are trying to do; to this end, and with thanks to CrossFit North for providing the inspiration for these meetings, we will continue to plough our own furrow.

Finally, I would just like to say that I have nothing but respect for you and the whole CrossFit community, and I'm sure I speak for all the others when I say this. I hope that there is no ill-feeling on either side - the aforementioned community-building is what we are about and it would be a shame if we allowed this misunderstanding to damage this process.

Your friend in CrossFit,

Peter Galloway
Old 04-27-2005, 09:15 AM   #10
David Werner

Profile:
You have all made some well reasoned comments so let me attempt to explain what got me riled up.

The post at the top of this thread lays out an event, opens it to the public and invites wider participation and score sharing. Wait a minute! That's what we do! What the *#@& are they doing?!

I will admit now that acusations of bad grace were not called for (hanging head, shuffling toe in dirt and mumbling) I'm sorry.

I can see that you have an enthusiastic group in the process of forming, but you are underestimating yourselves. Failing to see how your group and ours affect each other "across an ocean" shows that you haven't yet grasped the nature of what is going on here. Your "shambolic" affair is exactly how we started, your efforts will grow and acquire a (at least) national reputation, people will come from all over to compete, and e-mail from around the globe asking questions and offering results. What we are doing is fun, challenging and contageous, if you put the effort in it will grow as I've said. Karl, wasn't it you talking about making a career as a trainer? If so this event will become part of your reputation as a trainer. Can you start to see that what other people do with your event will effect you - even from across the globe?

Furthermore, if we are smart about it our respective efforts will amplify each others results rather than detract. Hence my desire to have you participate in our event. Your community building observations are very astute though, and that's what you guys need to be doing now.

Perhaps we can instead arrange an occasional collaberation, once or twice a year. One such oportunity will present itself in September when we have the third "CrossFit Annual Championship".

I think what is happening on your "Island" is awesome, and I wish you all the best.

Regards
Dave Werner
Crossfit North