CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 12-02-2005, 08:52 AM   #21
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
OK...tomorrow is an "off" day, so in the morning I'll go and do the workout I've come up with and then post it and my results (insert diabolical laughter here).
Old 12-02-2005, 10:26 AM   #22
Ian Holmes

Profile:
Hey Matt you have off days like I do *grin*... I am now finally learning how to force myself to do nothing all day, it is the hardest thing I know of... I simply stretch lots, and count any kicking/punching to be part of that.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:45 AM   #23
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Typically I do really take the day off (I do more than enough the rest of the time) but I promised I'd get a swim workout posted up this week and tomorrow is my last chance to do that. Following through on what I said I'd do is more important to me than a full day of rest.
Old 12-03-2005, 05:35 AM   #24
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
OK, first we need to define our terms...

Head-up freestyle: waterpolo-style free...your head is up out of the water, you're looking forward. Keep your elbows high on the stroke and keep your kick fast and strong; the kick is key to keeping your head up.
Ladder: a drill for running or swimming; you sprint some distance, then sprint back to the start, then sprint a bit farther, then return again, etc. We're going to sprint just past the backstroke flags (~6 yards) then back to the wall, then to the halfway point of the pool and back to the wall, then all the way down to the other end (but not back). Ideally executed without rest.
Explosions: primarily a goalie drill...treading water using an "eggbeater" kick (legs alternate kicking), hands sculling the water lightly in front of you, explode up vertically out of the water, hands above your head and slightly to the front (like you were stopping a shot).
"Punishment" butterfly: using the butterfly arm motion but with your head up out of the water looking forward. You must use a strong and fast flutter kick to help keep your head up. Yup..."Heads-up butterfly with a flutter kick". Thanks to coach Don Casey who taught me this almost 18 years ago...I'll bet he didn't think I'd still be doing it.
Burpee with "air" squat: a burpee executed with a pushup, but no jump (let's not have broken necks from slipperly decks). Instead of the jump, do an air squat.

5 rounds for time:
Head-up freestyle ladder (as described above...start in the shallow end, you'll finish in the deep end)
5 explosions
"Punishment" butterfly (back to the shallow end)
5 Burpees with "air" squat

Time to beat is 11:53.53

I want another crack at this when I haven't killed myself for 3 consecutive days...but if anyone beats it, I owe them dinner at Outback (the first one that beats it).

* Say it with me..."that doesn't look too bad". True CF style.

(Message edited by h2o_goalie on December 03, 2005)
Old 12-03-2005, 07:18 AM   #25
Karl Steadman

Profile:
woah........sweet.

i'm gonna hit the pool today and practice the moves then give the drill a go tomorrow.

My missus (ex-county level swimmer) wants in too so we'll rock it tomorrow and let y'all know how we do!

nice drill Matt...
Old 12-03-2005, 11:47 AM   #26
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Matt, you are a machine.
Old 12-03-2005, 11:58 AM   #27
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Nah, just psychotic ;)
Old 12-03-2005, 12:37 PM   #28
Russ Greene

Profile:

I don't get what an explosion is. How do you explode upwards? By kicking harder? Just raising your arms out of the water?
Old 12-03-2005, 02:21 PM   #29
Tom Brose

Profile:
Russ
time in the pool+kb snatches equals very bloody hands
Old 12-03-2005, 02:26 PM   #30
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Russ, it's kind of hard to explain. Part of it is suddenly kicking harder, part of it is giving a bit of a "push" up with the hands, part of it is pulling the hands out. It's just one of those things that you do, you know what I mean? I've done it so many times it just happens now.

Jump in the water and give it a try. Probably the best way to experiment is this:
Get in the water, under the backstroke flags. Tread "eggbeater", hands sculling just in front of you. Now quickly look up, spot a flag directly overhead, and "jump" up and touch it.

Trust me, you're not going to explode up like I do. But you'll likely be moving in the right direction or at least be giving the effort, and that's what counts.

I can't seem to find any video clips handy, but here's a picture of a goalie exploding to his right to block a shot. For this workout you're going to be pulling both hands up and out of the water, not just the one like the guy in this picture...but you'll also be going straight up, not over to one side.
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/24/16703.jpg

(Message edited by h2o_goalie on December 03, 2005)