CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 04-28-2005, 10:46 AM   #1
John Walsh

Profile:
At what point are you diluting the WOD too much? I know it’s scalable but I often notice a timed work out of 8,9 or 10 minutes with significantly less weight or reps than Rxed. Is this the best route to progress? My gut feeling says that if you’re zipping through the WOD with less weight or reps than indicated, let’s say in under 20 or certainly 15 minutes, than you’re just spinning your wheels. It’s time to up the weight or reps and humble yourself with a slower time. Am I off base here?
Old 04-28-2005, 11:16 AM   #2
Grady McDonald

Profile:
Gut feeling = correct. Integrity and desire to progress comes into play.

Your goal should be to do every WOD as close to perscribed as possible. (unless injury, facilities, etc prevents you from doing so) To do every one of the "Girls" as written along with a membership to the muscleup club would be a great accomplishment.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:35 AM   #3
Brad Williams

Profile:

I agree.
I did today's WOD with 110 lb thrusters and 35 lb db's for weighted pull ups. My time was 10:20 but I felt like I cheated because i didn't use the prescribed weight.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:46 AM   #4
Graham Hayes

Profile:
When I was a buttercup; if I did my scaled WOD's faster or as fast as the top times then I knew it was time to jack it up a notch. Some people need to scale, but they also need a little difficulty so they have something to adapt to. Don't make 'scale to ability' mean well within your ablity!
Old 04-28-2005, 12:15 PM   #5
Matt Schwartz

Profile:

Yes, generally, if you are doing a WOD in less than 20 minutes and you have adjusted the weight from what's prescribed it's time to go up. Grace may be an exception since it's *just* :-) 30 reps. But generally, 20 mins is all good. On a side note, going over 40 minutes is a very good sign that you need to adjust down.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:31 PM   #6
Steven Stackpole

Profile:
I agree with you to some extent Matt, but it took me 90 minutes to do the last Linda, exactly as prescribed, but I wouldnt change a thing. There is also something to be said for perserverance. I could have lowered the weight on Linda, gone through it in a faster time, but it would have kept me up at night, literally.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:34 PM   #7
Steven Stackpole

Profile:
To add quickly to what I said above, there are people like myself, who arent competing against the best times posted necessarily, but rather just against themselves.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:50 PM   #8
William Hunter

Profile:
I was slogging through the WOD's, sometimes slower than a snail, with as little reduction in prescribed weights as possible. The workouts all became grinders, which I don't think is their intention.

Dave Werner's post in the Kipping pullup thread opened my eyes. He mentioned power as the number one goal of Crossfit. I've since reduced weight a bit, so that my times are somewhere just on the slow side of middle of the pack. If I move up into the top half, I up the weight. I think I've gotten more out the WOD's the last couple of weeks due to this.

Steve makes a good point as well. The beauty of the system is that you can tailor it to your needs. Steve loves to lift ungodly heavy weights for 90 minutes straight. More power to him! On the timed WOD's, I want to keep moving. I go as heavy as possible on the 5x5 and 1-1-1-1-1 etc. days (still not that heavy).
Old 04-28-2005, 02:17 PM   #9
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Well, I mostly agree with you folks but I remember Coach talking at the one day crossfit/O lifting seminar in San Diego in January that one way to pursue the girls is to note the average times of those with excellence then adjust so that you can approach those times. When you reach those times, then adjust again. Repeat until you can reach those times with prescribed weight.

I know that I sometimes make a choice for speed or to slog through even if it takes me 60 minutes (though I think more than that is too much). Ultimately, varience is the key and if you can't yet do the girls as prescribed, I would think there is benefit in either approach as long as you are working your butt off.

I noticed, for myself, that my speed in general increased when I started pushing for speed in the wods more often even though with lower weight. It was almost like I was only training one aspect - the slow one - before that.
Old 04-28-2005, 02:36 PM   #10
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
One of the Crossfit journals talked about three ways to achieve a particular goal, such as a rowing 2,000 meters in 7 minutes:

1. Practice rowing 7 minutes time frames. Try to improve the distance until you can row 2,000 meters.
2. Practice rowing for 2,000 meters. Try to improve the time until you can do all 2,00 meters in 7 minutes.
3. Practice the pace of 2,000 meters in 7 minutes. See how long you can sustain the record pace. Rest. Go again. Repeat until you've covered 2,000 meters. Try to reduce the rest intervals until you can do it non-stop.

I think this logic probably applies to the WOD, as well.