CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-04-2009, 01:45 PM   #11
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Squat Depth

Brian,

Your post made me think of it.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:25 PM   #12
Jeff Belyeu

Profile:

My goals are to perfect my form (including ROM) and get stronger. I believe what we have come to is that ROM in this instance is just to go below parallel, and not ATG. I was mistakenly thinking the lower the better.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:33 PM   #13
Chris Walls

Profile:

It really just comes down to your goals. Do you want to be stronger through a shorter (yet legitimate) ROM? Or less strong through a longer ROM? Neither way is wrong if it fits your goals.

Absolute heaviest sh*t/max strength? Low bar, just below parallel
Still damn heavy that carries over to front squats and oly stuff a bit better? High bar A2A
Old 03-04-2009, 02:34 PM   #14
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Stronger to what end?

play sports, stongman comp, knock down doors, carry bodies out of a burning building? Details man.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:47 PM   #15
Brian Lawyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Belyeu View Post
My goals are to perfect my form (including ROM) and get stronger. I believe what we have come to is that ROM in this instance is just to go below parallel, and not ATG. I was mistakenly thinking the lower the better.
Use the picture of the guy squatting on the cover of Starting Strength as your guide for Low Bar Back Squats for developing strength.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:58 PM   #16
Neil Fonseca

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lawyer View Post
LBBS is a strength exercise. I would go to proper squat depth, defined by Rippatoe as crease in hip below or parallel with top of patella (knee). I wouldn't go any more or any less than that and focus on gaining strength. Adding 5 to 10lbs a week on your back squat.
Don't try to guess the point at which this happens. Just go all the way down, but makes sure you are pushing your knees out and not rounding your back. You should feel the stretch in your inner hamstrings. Do the squat stretch if you need to figure out what this stretch will feel like. Only the ultra-flexible will be able to go too low, and it's not really that bad if you do.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:26 PM   #17
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

I'll throw in on this since I guess I don't understand bar positioning and depth.

Generally the bar rests just below the tops of my shoulders. I usually don't keep my torso upright because I go as deep as possible.
My wife started telling me this was wrong and I was bending over and not doing it right. Obviously I'm not supposed to bend over, but I mean I'm not sitting up totally straight right. I usually bend at the hips first before bending at the knees like I've been taught to do.

She kept harassing me so I decided to try to go straight down like she was saying while keeping my back upright and straight. To do this I really just had to kind of start lowering the bar down my back first and then follow it straight down. I was still able to get depth on the squat and get below parallel.

So I guess I'm asking a few things. Which way was right? A little bend at the hips without an upright torso or keeping myself upright? I was able to get the same depth on both. Going straight down with the bar felt a little funky, but both were working my legs good.

*EDIT UPDATE* Ok so I showed my wife the back squat demo video from the CF mainpage. I said "That's what I thought I was doing. Is that what I was doing?" and she said "That's exactly what you are doing."
So I was like "So I'm doing it right?" and she maintains that it's totally incorrect.
Am I missing something here? Anybody that's played softball or been around softball, do they do it differently? I'm trying to figure out what she was taught to think that this method of squatting is just so bad. She kept maintaining the way I and the girl in the video pushed our butts out was wrong. She said "It looks like she's pushing her butt out and then lifting with her back."

I'm confused, because I know that going straight down and sitting upright is a valid way to squat (that's what she does) as is the way the mainpage teaches it. I'm just wondering if the way she was taught was taught to her as the only proper way??

She does mention when I was doing them like the mainpage video that my back curved a bit at the bottom. So I definitely need to work on that because I know that's incorrect.

Last edited by Jason R O'Dell : 03-04-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:45 PM   #18
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Well now I'm totally confused because we watched the Back Squat/Ring Dips WoD demo and she was like "That's exactly how you need to squat!" and when I was letting the bar go and then following it down she said that was when I was squatting that way.

Now I'm totally confused, because I guess I've been squatting wrong for a while if this is the case.

It's harder for me to squat the way demonstrated in that video though. It just feels funny. I guess I need a stronger core because that's part of the problem. I'm not strong enough to keep myself straight when I come down and I just push my butt out and curl my back instead of coming back straight. Guess it'll just take some work. But, I found my little technique to go down properly....just follow the bar.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:52 AM   #19
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I suggest picking up a copy of Starting Strength. THat or get video and send it in.

Bar placement will effect torso angle. A front squat will have a nearly vertical torso, high bar will be a little less vertical, and a low bar you will be about 45 degrees at the bottom.

And yes, low bar squats use alot of posterior chain (PC). THis is a good thing.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:42 AM   #20
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Well my wife watched the demo video and my squats and said when I followed the bar straight down I mirrored the video. I'd assume a video demo posted on the CF mainpage would show correct form.