CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-01-2015, 11:08 PM   #11
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Re: Additional (heavy) lifts rep scheme

^^ This.

More important stuff, less silly tomfoolery.

I do understand that some people find working out in a group to be better for motivation and fun.

Working up to a Heavy Single, or Triple, or 5 is fun.

Sets across is work. Sometimes a soul sucking grind where you can't wait until you're done. "Only X more reps/sets to go and I'm done, yay!"

Lifting twice per week may be enough if you've plateau'd, or older, or are less concerned about gainz or have time/recovery constraints.

Bare in mind, a Westside or full 531 lift day has a crapton of accessories bundled with it compared to Squat 5 sets up or across, move on. That is a stark difference.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:50 PM   #12
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Giurato View Post
That part I know (I've read the boards for a long time). What I don't know is at what point would more work be detrimental. CrossFit Football has a workout scheme that involves:
  • 7 heavy lifts a week, spread out over 4 days.
  • 5 short to medium length, high intensity metcons.
If I remember correctly, it also involves doing the same weight for 3x5 and is a smooth linear progression.

Ignoring my Saturdays, I am doing
  • 2.5 heavy lifts a week, spread out over 3 days
  • 3 high intensity metcons of varying length
  • 1 moderate intensity steady-state row or jog
The heavy days typically are 5 sets of 1, 3, or 5, but they are ascending sets. Comparing that to my days when I was doing SS, it seems much easier and less taxing that sets across. I do realize that it isn't fair to directly compare two different programs like this. But it does seem like there is a very big difference in volume.

Does my logic seem Ok that I should be able to handle a lifting day on Saturdays and see a benefit? I sometimes feel a bit beaten up on Thursday or Friday, but after taking Friday as a rest day I feel good to go on Saturday.
What do you mean by 7 heavy lifts?
Old 10-03-2015, 04:02 PM   #13
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Giurato View Post
That part I know (I've read the boards for a long time). What I don't know is at what point would more work be detrimental. CrossFit Football has a workout scheme that involves:
  • 7 heavy lifts a week, spread out over 4 days.
  • 5 short to medium length, high intensity metcons.
If I remember correctly, it also involves doing the same weight for 3x5 and is a smooth linear progression.

Ignoring my Saturdays, I am doing
  • 2.5 heavy lifts a week, spread out over 3 days
  • 3 high intensity metcons of varying length
  • 1 moderate intensity steady-state row or jog
The heavy days typically are 5 sets of 1, 3, or 5, but they are ascending sets. Comparing that to my days when I was doing SS, it seems much easier and less taxing that sets across. I do realize that it isn't fair to directly compare two different programs like this. But it does seem like there is a very big difference in volume.

Does my logic seem Ok that I should be able to handle a lifting day on Saturdays and see a benefit? I sometimes feel a bit beaten up on Thursday or Friday, but after taking Friday as a rest day I feel good to go on Saturday.
What do you mean by 7 heavy lifts?
Old 10-04-2015, 10:04 AM   #14
Ludovic Deguy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
^^ This.

More important stuff, less silly tomfoolery.

I do understand that some people find working out in a group to be better for motivation and fun.

Working up to a Heavy Single, or Triple, or 5 is fun.

Sets across is work. Sometimes a soul sucking grind where you can't wait until you're done. "Only X more reps/sets to go and I'm done, yay!"

Lifting twice per week may be enough if you've plateau'd, or older, or are less concerned about gainz or have time/recovery constraints.

Bare in mind, a Westside or full 531 lift day has a crapton of accessories bundled with it compared to Squat 5 sets up or across, move on. That is a stark difference.
I didn't say lifting twice a week, I said "lifting heavy twice a week".

By lifting heavy twice a week I mean trying to max out twice a week on a big lift (one squat / deadlift variation and one press variation), if possible with 3 days between the two heavy sessions.

Accessory work is not "heavy" work per se.

Strength endurance stuff like we do a lot in Crossfit is not heavy work, even if this is 15-20 reps total in a "heavy" metcon or so.

Heavy means you work up to a load you will lift ONCE this day.

Trying to find a new max EVERY week, TWICE a week means your strength training is pretty intense and is not at all a strength maintenance rythm.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:58 PM   #15
Chris Mason

Profile:

If you are maxing out on 7 movements per week that is going to be excessive long term. It will still work while you are relatively weak, but the stronger you get the more you are taxing your body's essentially static ability to recover from high intensity lifting. That is why Louie Simmons initially created the DE day. The VAST majority relatively strong lifters cannot handle maxing out more than once per week for their upper or lower body. It leads to stagnation and or overtraining.
Old 10-07-2015, 02:37 AM   #16
Ludovic Deguy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
If you are maxing out on 7 movements per week that is going to be excessive long term. It will still work while you are relatively weak, but the stronger you get the more you are taxing your body's essentially static ability to recover from high intensity lifting. That is why Louie Simmons initially created the DE day. The VAST majority relatively strong lifters cannot handle maxing out more than once per week for their upper or lower body. It leads to stagnation and or overtraining.
Even for weakest lifters, it is very unlikely that anyone except a total beginner can put PRs on several lifts every week.
Old 10-08-2015, 12:23 AM   #17
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Quote:
I didn't say lifting twice a week, I said "lifting heavy twice a week".

By lifting heavy twice a week I mean trying to max out twice a week on a big lift (one squat / deadlift variation and one press variation), if possible with 3 days between the two heavy sessions.
I meant to infer lifting HEAVY. I don't really give a damn about lifting metcon or assistance work weights.

By "Heavy" I'd say 70%+ for volume or 85-90%+ for intensity (low reps).

Chris is on the right track when we are talking about PL because any decent PLer is going to be lifting some heavy *** weights. Not talking about 1.5xBW BenchPresses or 2xBW Squats or 2.5xBW Deads at your typical CF box. That's decent at a CF box and amateur for a PLer/SM type.

I've always wondered how many of the lifters at WSBB are working everday jobs compared to some PLers in state sponsored countries who run something more along the volume/Sheiko (Russia, KAZ, etc).
Old 10-08-2015, 06:54 PM   #18
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Quote:
I've always wondered how many of the lifters at WSBB are working everday jobs compared to some PLers in state sponsored countries who run something more along the volume/Sheiko (Russia, KAZ, etc).
Haha if I knew when I was 14 what I know now I would have enjoyed the free food and sleep at home and lifted a ton more
Old 10-09-2015, 01:08 AM   #19
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Quote:
haha if I knew when I was 14 what I know now I would have enjoyed the free food and sleep at home and lifted a ton more
No lie, so many missed gainz. I lifted in college but I coulda done so much more volume as well (be it living at home or roommates). I thought I lifted enough in college but I could have done so much more (and less bull**** though overtime I weeded that crap out).

In school, obviously I could lift in the time alotted during weight training class. 60-90 minutes? But hell, I coulda been in the gym my freshman year or in junior high (because let's face it, I didn't do that much after school in JH).

My parents would have gone bonkers with the food bill though. They complained about it back then and I didn't even lift until my senior year. I was around only #120 until the summer of senior year.

note - I did have a PT job though I'm pretty sure that 80% of that went to buying and eating food. (it was also somewhat helpful that I could buy things at 10% above cost at Longs). Carl's Jr, TacoBell, pizza, mexican fastfood place. I shoulda just went to the store and bought steaks and hamburgers instead.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:41 AM   #20
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
No lie, so many missed gainz. I lifted in college but I coulda done so much more volume as well (be it living at home or roommates). I thought I lifted enough in college but I could have done so much more (and less bull**** though overtime I weeded that crap out).

I shoulda just went to the store and bought steaks and hamburgers instead.
My god yes to these 2 statments. Think of the possibilities.....