CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:27 PM   #1
Dale F. Saran

Profile:
Thought I would share with the Community. Just over a week ago, my 14 year old daughter competed at the Massachusetts State Gymnastics Championships and placed as follows:
Bars: tied for 2nd (got 3rd due to all around scores)
Beam: 6th
Floor: Tied for 5th
Vault: 11th
All-around: Tied for 5th

She's a level 7 (Senior).

Now, this will seem odd, but I'm proud, but not because of the places and scores, but because of her effort and toughness. Last October she had surgery on her elbow for a degenerative disorder common among gymnasts and pitchers around her age. The theory is that the repeated shock/force causes blood to stop flowing to the affected area and can result in bone chips or worse. She injured it at last year's states, sat out and rehabbed for 4-6 months, then had to have surgery in Boston. She stayed off of it until December.

She continued to train hard, doing a lot of things one-handed (and making me nervous), but she never gave up. She also switched gyms about 1.5 months before the competition.

I was just proud of how she stayed composed through it all and put together very nice routines and worked so hard.

Here she is! The 3rd place podium.
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/3499/41274.jpg
And, on the far left, with her team.
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/3499/41275.jpg
Old 05-07-2007, 06:41 PM   #2
John Seiler

Profile:
That's great Dale. It must be very gratifying to see your daughter exhibit such determination and commitment.

I'm also glad she's prettier than her old man. :biggrin:
Old 05-07-2007, 06:48 PM   #3
Nadia Shatila

Profile:
awwwwwwww. Dale thanks for posting those pictures and sharing the story! Congrats to your daughter. I was a gymnast too and I remember how frusterating it is to be out with an injury. You can feel like your life/career is over! Good for her for sticking through it and placing so well at state!

In my day level 7 was a compulsary and optional level. Which is she or is it only one or the other now?
Old 05-07-2007, 07:08 PM   #4
H. Giovanni Salazar

Profile:
GREAT JOB!!! A proud father. As another proud father myself I send out Kuddos for you to keep promoting your kids, win, lose or tie. It's the game and teamwork that makes the difference in the whole scheme of things.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:43 AM   #5
Dale F. Saran

Profile:
Nadia, I think level 7 is where they start to have some optional elements. Roger, Stephen, or Blair would know better. I think with the new scoring system (what skills are considered B, C, D, etc.), the girls have much more leeway to pick what C skill they're going to use on beam, for example, and then integrate that into their routines.

John - yes, since you've seen me in person, you know how fortunate my girls are that they inherited from their mother's side of the gene pool. :happy:

Now I just wish I could hold a handstand as long as she can!
Old 05-08-2007, 07:53 AM   #6
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Hey Dale!

Congrats to your daughter! Sounds like a pretty tough kid...easy to be proud of.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:53 AM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
In the USA gymnastics JO level 7, they are not allowed to do any JO C's ( JO skill levels are bit inflated compared to FIG ). In level 8, they are allowed to do C's, but it is given credit as a B.
Level 7 has 5 A's and 2 B's. Most of the vault are handspring twists are 1/2 on 1/2 off variety.

Basically to wrap up, in level 7, they finally get to make their own routines. Consider it the beginning steps into optional routines, though the JO boys have what is called modified optional ( basically a set routine and can switch out elements ). They also get out of the compulsory (1/4-6 ) music, which drives every one bonkers.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:57 AM   #8
John Seiler

Profile:
Sorry Dale, it was just too easy. Truth is you're a ruggedly handsome guy. Besides, as you can see from the avatar, my "daughter" is also better looking than her old man! Considerably more lean, as well...
Old 05-08-2007, 06:21 PM   #9
Nadia Shatila

Profile:
Dale, Blair thanks for the info!
Things have changed a bit since my day (now I am feeling old). Interesting that they are not allowed to do C's in level 7 and that once you move to level 8 the C's are considered B's. Good ol' gymnastics rules...ha. ;-) I do remember some skills seemed to be catagorized randomly. A standing back tuck on beam I believe was a B and a ring leap was a D! Then front tumbling got really popular and they gave easy front tumbling moves higher ranking then very difficult back tumbling.

Oh and compulsory music was the worst! I still can hum the old Level 6 music and for me that was 18 years ago (ok feeling reeeeallly old now!) I think most parents are thrilled when their child becomes an optional so they don't have to spend 5-8 hours at meets listening to the same music over and over and over.....and over. :-)

John, your 'daughter' is adorable too!
Old 05-08-2007, 08:02 PM   #10
Dale F. Saran

Profile:
If I never have to hear that music again it will be too soon. Unfortunately, there are younger sisters, one in prep-opt right now. Ohh, the pain!!

John - the check is in the mail (for 'ruggedly handsome' which, for those of you not in the know, is a euphemism for 'not having any blatant malformations or deformities' or 'troll...ish'.) Hope things are well for you there in St. Louis.

dale