CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-02-2005, 10:32 AM   #1
Jim Aldridge

Profile:
I know that alot of people may think this belongs under "later." but when I read what Brian Mulvaney said about the "emerging dilemma" (is the forum more of a club of elite members or is it more of a place to come and learn about crossfit?), it struck me as a pretty pivotal issue that will have ramifications for all of us who do crossfit and call the message board "home." I thought it was deserving of a post of it's own.

Disclaimer: I know that I am relatively new to the crossfit community and that I live pretty far away from any of the crossfit facilities. Please take my opinion as just that - an opinion. And one that may not be super well informed due to distance, but well meaning none the less due to concern. Crossfit is more than the WOD. It is a fitness philosophy, a lifestyle, a community (some might even say "club"), etc. As such, it has come to be a pretty fulfilling part of my daily life, so I care about what goes on here. Heck, my wife and I talk about it so much that our close friends and family already know what we mean by "the girls" and how elusive and important skills like the muscle up are.

Opinion: I know that the moderators are trying to strike a balance. This is obviously not an "either...or" issue, but a balance of "both...and." I posted under "later" that emergency responders and their ilk are different. I also believe that crossfitters are different. Let's face it. There is a reason that the lethargic, non-motivated, "sleep through every class" guy you went to high school with did not choose med school as and option (probably the same reason that the phrase "do you want fries with that?" still figures so prominently into his vocabulary) People's personalities play a huge role in the activities they choose to get involved with. Most crossfitters, judging from what I find on the boards and from the type of people who are willing to work out with me nowadays) are Type A, hard charging, high speed low drag individuals. They are opinionated, determined, and yes, "different" from society at large. Because of that, the crossfit community will always be a "club of elites." I know that there will be some exceptions to this rule, but generally the types of folks who are easily put off by that fact won't stick around long anyway. And let's face it, there is a degree to which Crossfitters like being the "elite." Now I know that I will likely never post times like Matt G., Greg A., or some of the other crossfit monsters, but being elite isn't always an issue of perfromance (not in any way detracting from these enviable accomplishments). Sometimes it is a matter of attitude, the attitude that makes all of us do things to ourselves that make your average "fit" person shudder. That attitude in my opinion it ESSENTIAL to Crossfit. That attitude permeates the message board, and although it may make some people who are uncomfortable with the "divisive concept of the elite" recoil in disgust on occasion, the rest of us find it invigorating, intense, entertaining, and yes, even on occasion for us, irritating. But we know the cost of ever letting it go. People are gonna butt heads around here. I am a member of a special ops rescue company for our fire department and I see it all the time. We are prideful and opinionated, but I know that I can trust the guys I work with to be coming for me if things go South on the fire scene. Please don't let a super politically correct, overly sensitive mentality compromise (not in the least) that attitude that makes Crossfitters unique to begin with. It would be like trying to force a round peg into a square hole. The end results will be disappointing. If you have to err, err on the side of letting the "club of elites" thrive. Without it, the answers to those wanting to know more about crossfit will be bland, less infomative and devoid of the flavor that comes from the "attitude."

Just my 2 cents. Sorry it was so long
Old 08-02-2005, 10:42 AM   #2
John Walsh

Profile:
Nice post.:happy:
Old 08-02-2005, 12:17 PM   #3
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Tell it brother!

The "club" is now open.
Old 08-02-2005, 12:31 PM   #4
Robert Wolf

Profile:
This would probably be a crappy time to mention that CrossFit NorCal has been working on a "Dan Silver Rules!" T-shirt complete with life like tiger stripes on the back...maybe we can sell them from Dan's site...
Old 08-02-2005, 12:52 PM   #5
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Rob I would SOOOO buy one of those shirts just to see the looks i get in my gym!

Jim, nice post, I agree fully
Old 08-02-2005, 12:56 PM   #6
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Robb, thanks for you brief and to the point response. I'm getting a headache reading everyone's sermons. :biggrin:

Seriously, This is the best fitness board I've found on the web even with the Dan Silver's of the board. They help keep it real.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:06 PM   #7
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Tiger stripes? I thought they were zebra stripes. uh oh left turn.

wwdsd
Old 08-02-2005, 01:16 PM   #8
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
"I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would accept me as a member."
-Groucho Marx

IMO, the key thing to keep in mind is that "membership" in the "club" has never required more than some time around the site. I think that expecting to join, make your first post...and immediately understand the personalities, quirks, months-long inside jokes, etc. is nuts. People who've been here for awhile have paid a price in effort and sweat that new members haven't...but that's the only membership fee I'm aware of. Given a little time everyone pays it and becomes a member of the club.

I liken this to some of CF's training techniques. When someone new comes along the CF stuff seems strange, unfamiliar, possibly dangerous and perhaps arbitrary. It takes time and experience to understand the reasons that CF does things the way it does. CF principles/techniques are not changed to accomodate those who would find them unusual, painful and vomit-generating. Rather, it is expected that over time they will see results and come to understand the whys. If they don't eventually they'll leave.

You can't be all things to all people. At the end of the day, I think you have to give some weight to "X has been here for years and has put in the time and effort" vs. "Y has been here for 5 seconds and is whining already".

Bottom line: this is Coach's site. His word is law, mine isn't worth the electrons you're using to read this. I will abide by whatever he, Lauren and the mods decide. But IMO, trying to legislate the quirks out of the message board would be a mistake.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:14 PM   #9
Eric Cimrhanzel

Profile:
Outstanding posts, Jim and Matt, and great thread.

As a relative CrossFit Newbie (only since this summer), I have to say that the community "club" doesn't require much at all. Show up, do the WOD (or some form of CrossFit), don't whine, and make good contributions to the Board if you make any at all.

I see nothing wrong with that.

Oh yeah, and Robb, I want a T-shirt.

Speakin' of T-shirts, when is the "CrossFit: It's MotherF%^#!ing Arms Day!" T-shirt coming out?! John Walsh?
Old 08-02-2005, 02:25 PM   #10
Karl Steadman

Profile:
Spot on lads and lasses,

Oh yeah, i'm in for a shirt too Robb!