CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #491
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:
Re: Gslp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme Gruber View Post
So, if I know my 1RM, is there an easy way for me to calculate where I should start my weights for GSLP?
don't even worry about it. start too light. on the last set you will be doing as many as possible so no matter the weight you will get a good workout. these high rep sets so good things. if you add weight like you are suppose to then you will find it getting heavy soon enough. and in a matter of a few months you will have to reset. whether it takes 3 or 6 months to reset is not going to make a difference in the long run and grand scheme of things. where you will be a year from now will be stronger either way. as JP says, don't be in a hurry to hit walls. 20 reps on the squat, bench, or press will do wonders for your mental toughness and growth. if you find yourself hitting that high of reps then just make a bigger weight jump on the next workout, like adding 10lbs instead of 5 to the squat or 5lbs instead of 2.5 to the bench or press. if you still high high reps, then keep making bigger jumps until your reps are down to the 12 range, and then start making the normal jumps. the only exception (at least for me) is the Deadlift. I never like to go super high reps. if you get to 10 reps stop. make a bigger jump the next workout until you get to 10 reps or less. then make the normal jumps each week. that is my advise anyway.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:56 AM   #492
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

I did bench and squat yesterday.

I had 135 on bench for 8 on my last set, and 215 for the squat w 7 on my last set. Are those too small of numbers? If so, do I just stick w that on my next attempt or is that an alright range?
Old 06-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #493
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Sounds alright to me. Should be good with 2.5lb or 5lb increases on your bench and 5lbs on your squats.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:12 PM   #494
Robert Hann

Profile:

In the GSLP AMRAP sets. Should I be going until I fail regardless of form or to the point where my form breaks down?

For example today, I hit 13 reps on my last squat set because my form started going to crap. I coul have probably grinded out 2 more but decided against it because my butt kept shooting out during the lift.

I'm assuming to go until form falls apart, but I just want to clarify.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #495
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Form falling apart on high rep lifts=good chance of injury or (best case) reinforcing bad habits.

Stopping yourself when you feel the reps get sloppy will do you a lot of good in the long run.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #496
Samuel Stone Waters

Profile:

Anyone done GSLP fat loss? How'd it go for you?
Old 07-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #497
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Stone Waters View Post
Anyone done GSLP fat loss? How'd it go for you?
That's part of the reason I'm going to do this program. I like the rep range for getting strong, but also for cutting fat (without that being the main focus). I would like to start it for sure next monday (had some experimentation with the weights a few weeks ago).
Old 07-07-2012, 08:04 AM   #498
Tim Donahey

Profile:

Has anyone replaced neck work (which isn't in line with my goals) with anything else (such as grip work)?
Old 07-07-2012, 08:05 AM   #499
Dylan Forbes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Donahey View Post
Has anyone replaced neck work (which isn't in line with my goals) with anything else (such as grip work)?
There's millions of plugins mentioned in the book.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #500
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Neck work isn't necessary at all, and you only need to replace it with something if that something else fits your goals. But yeah, something like heavy farmers walks makes for a good finisher, and heavy DB rows for sets of 20-30 will do good things for your grip while also helping to improve your upper back shelf for squats.