CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-17-2009, 07:41 AM   #1
Gene Chun

Profile:
It's OK to hate me...

Part of my job is to visit local High Schools almost on a daily basis. While at one last week at the Auto Tech class, I spied a C2 Model D sitting outside with a busted PM3. Even though it was outside, it was still under a large overhang, sheltered from direct precip.

I asked the auto tech teacher about it, and he said that anything out there is trash, and will be picked up by custodial staff soon. As he said that, the weightlifting coach walked in (he was getting his car worked on) and verified that he had thrown the C2 out because it didn't work anymore.

I asked if I could take it as it was trash (and not being donated or anything) and they said that it was all mine!

I immediately stuffed it into my car and took it home. It's in great physical shape, little to no wear/scratches with the exception of the PM3 - it has a seriously busted screen. The chain kept coming off the drive sprocket though, and had just a little bit of surface rust on it. I liberally sprayed the chain down with PB Blaster (an awesome penetrating lubricant that dissolves rust and frees frozen parts - great for nuts/bolts on old cars). While it moved much more freely, it still kept on coming off the drive sprocket. I had my oldest boy slowly pull the chain out while I watched was was going on. It was simply twisted. I got my trusty Knipex pliers and untwisted the chain in small increments until it was straight and true. It's perfect now!!!

I called Concept 2 and asked about the PM3 monitor - the guy asked me a lot of very pertinent questions about the monitor and said that all it probably needs is an LCD screen for $30!! And if it wasn't just the screen, I could return it and get credit towards a new $160 PM3 - what service! (I have a feeling that once the C2 was deemed trash, the HS students had to break something, and the LCD screen was a perfect target)

So best case, I will have a free Model D in excellent condition and worst case, I will have spent $160 on a Model D in perfect condition!!

Yeah, I would hate me too... :-)
Old 12-17-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
Nancy Cohen

Profile:
Re: It's OK to hate me...

yep...sending some "hate" your way.....
Old 12-17-2009, 08:53 AM   #3
Ardi Shero

Profile:

It would have been nice if you included your home address in the thread.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:33 AM   #4
Brian Russell

Profile:

No hatred here! Quite happy for your Christmas-time find. Congrats!!
Old 12-17-2009, 09:40 AM   #5
Jeremy Galo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Russell View Post
No hatred here! Quite happy for your Christmas-time find. Congrats!!
no hatred either... great find! there's a model E on CL in my area for $850... kinda wanted to pick it up, but I can't really justify it hahaha
Old 12-17-2009, 09:48 AM   #6
Gene Chun

Profile:

Concept 2's business model is awesome - they really want to support their products with great customer service and with very reasonable prices on their maintenance and repair items.

I just ordered the LCD screen, power generator, a pair of footstraps and the handle hook for a grand total of $64 - including shipping. It'll all be here in 3 days - awesome.

Great company!
Old 12-22-2009, 07:01 PM   #7
Gene Chun

Profile:

Quick update - the LCD screen was all that needed to replaced, the internals are fine - so the PM3 is saved!

So for $64, I have myself a low-use Model D w/ PM3!!!! (LCD screen, footstraps, handle hook, generator, shipping)

I've been looking for a C2 for about 2 years now, almost on a daily basis on Craigslist, with a search area of 100 mile radius - no great finds or was too slow on the draw. I also looked on my local government surplus auction website daily with no avail. And then I stumble across this gem. Wow.

Old 12-22-2009, 07:40 PM   #8
Jeremy Galo

Profile:

Funny enough... this past saturday... I found a C2 Model C on craigslist for $200 (not nearly as good as your deal... but not bad either). the screen is cracked but I can still see the time, calories, and distance. But it's a PM2 so I doubt Concept2 will have replacement parts for it. Oh well... I'll check ebay I guess.

How was replacing the screen? Did you have to do any soldering or is it pretty much plug&play?
Old 12-22-2009, 07:57 PM   #9
Todd Rehm

Profile:

I simply can't say enough good things about Concept2. Their level of customer service and their level of support for the older models is better than any company I've ever dealt with. Truly a great company who put their customers first.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:33 AM   #10
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Galo View Post
Funny enough... this past saturday... I found a C2 Model C on craigslist for $200 (not nearly as good as your deal... but not bad either). the screen is cracked but I can still see the time, calories, and distance. But it's a PM2 so I doubt Concept2 will have replacement parts for it. Oh well... I'll check ebay I guess.
Chances are they will have parts, including upgrades. Concept2 Parts (WFS).