CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-09-2005, 03:10 AM   #1
Neil Beevers

Profile:
Hi guys.

First time posting here. What would you guys reccomend as an alternative to running?

Ive got no access to a track where I live (unless I pay so much a year to join the local athletics club and use their private facility!).

I was thinking the best alternative to the run/sprint portion of workouts would be to jump rope. I was thinking about two alternatives. The first alternative is 15 seconds of Sprinting on the rope to every 100 Meters that should be run depending on how far the run is! For example, if the run is 200 Meters, sprint on the rope for 30 seconds. This approach would be for the workouts that use a set number of rounds without a time restriction. I.e. “Complete X rounds of run XXX Meters, followed by YYY, Followed by ZZZ”.

The second alternative is to Count 1 rope turn as 1 stride. The only downside to this is that you have to work out how long your stride is. For example, how many strides does it take you to run 400 meters?
I was thinking maybe 1.2 Meters = 1 Stride. So for every 100 Meters, you turn the rope roughly 80 times.

But, this depends on your own sprint technique and stride length. I think You have to take into account the distance between your feet with each stride as well as how far you propel yourself forward with each stride to determine how many meters each stride takes you! This option would be preferable for the workouts that involve a timed completion. I.e. “Complete as many rounds in 20 minutes of run XXX Meters, followed by YYY, followed by ZZZ.” With this approach it is a lot easier to gauge a time in the workout with which you can try to better the next time round.

Any thought are appreciated.

Yours,
Beev
Old 05-09-2005, 03:28 AM   #2
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Beev, on the other side of the track is a whole planet to run around. Normally I run around a football field where 1.5 laps is 405m. But if I need access to weights I run from my house to landmarks, that are roughly the 1/2 the distance I need to go, away. For CrossFit you will need landmarks that are 200m, 400m and 800m away. How you measure is up to you, I just used string and a street map to get the rough area, then decide that "that tree" or "that lamppost" is the turning back point.

Unless injury prevents you from doing so, you need to run. It's not fun but oh so nessecary for fitness.
Old 05-09-2005, 03:53 AM   #3
Neil Beevers

Profile:
Thanks for the feedback Graham.

I have a block around my house that is probably 200-300 meters round. I can use that no problem. I was thinking more in terms of when im doing a workout that involves weights and pull ups.

For those I have to go to a local gym about 1-2 miles away. I could run fine when I am doing for example, Sundays WOD, (400 meters followed by 50 squats, repest for 5 rounds) which involved no equipment.

I just ran 2 laps of the block, which to me represented the 400 meters. Then did the squats in my back yard. But when I am to do a workout that involves Pull ups, weights etc. I have to go to the local gym. Thats why I came up with the idea of jumping rope in place of running.

Yours,
Beev
Old 05-09-2005, 03:59 AM   #4
Graham Hayes

Profile:
I see, yeah skipping is fine. But you will notice that you'll get really really good at skipping and it won't have the same impact. If they don't have treadmills or rowers at your gym then skipping it is, if they do then mix it up. Hope that helps.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:07 AM   #5
Peter Galloway

Profile:

Beev,

First of all, welcome - always nice to see another Brit around here.

As Graham says, using the treadmill is fine if they're available at your gym. Just put it on an incline to better simulate actual running. I have a ruptured ACL in my right knee so I tend to avoid running in favour of skipping (although I am looking to include more running now as my leg gets stronger). I use the second method that you outline above - I count one stride as 2 metres, and skip using a "knees-high" technique. So 200m = 100 turns, 400m = 200 etc.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:09 AM   #6
Neil Beevers

Profile:
Yeah I know what you mean there. I have done jump rope for a long time, and am fairly good at it (Ive done Thai Boxing since 1994, with 4 years worth of Boxing along side that), but I can get alot out of skipping.

Yours,
Beev
Old 05-09-2005, 04:11 AM   #7
Neil Beevers

Profile:
Thanks Peter. Ill probably stick with that method then. It seems like the better option.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:32 AM   #8
Peter Galloway

Profile:

That's a surprise that your local athletics club have their own private track - round my way they all train on council-owned tracks. Are you sure you need to actually join the club? I have two tracks close to me; one is open at all times and completely free, the other opens only when the athletics club that uses it (my old club, Cambridge Harriers) trains. You don't have to be a member of the club to train there at these times, but you do have to pay an entrance fee - 85p when I trained there, but it might be more now! Anyway, the point of this ramble is: it might be that you can just turn up and pay a fee to use the track - could be worth checking out. (my apologies if you already have!)
Old 05-09-2005, 05:03 AM   #9
David Easton

Profile:
Welcome Neil
Old 05-09-2005, 05:50 AM   #10
Neil Beevers

Profile:
Thanks David.

Peter, yeah it used to be public and the council owned it. Then an Athletic club bought the track and put a big Iron Railing around it. With a notice that it was a private track and Trespassers will be prosecuted.

There is another public track, thats fairly cheap, but that is about 6 miles away, and seeing as I dont drive, its not really an option. Plus its the problem of not having access to equipment. I could go to the track, but I dont think they have any equipment such as weights etc.

I like my current facility as I can use the weights, then when I am done, they have a boxing gym in there that I can use after! So I can do a Crossfit workout, rest 10-15 minutes then do a few rounds on the heavy bag afterwards. It sounds like alot, but I am benefitting alot from it.