CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-22-2007, 07:12 PM   #1
Juan Romero Jr

Profile:
Fat alternatives

Going off of the fat block chart in the crossfit #21 issue, I'm wondering if there are some other foods that I can eat to get my fat block requirements? Aside from the oils, most of the fat foods are things I'm horribly allergic to (nuts, almonds, etc) and I can't eat. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Old 11-22-2007, 07:58 PM   #2
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
Re: Fat alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Romero Jr View Post
Going off of the fat block chart in the crossfit #21 issue, I'm wondering if there are some other foods that I can eat to get my fat block requirements? Aside from the oils, most of the fat foods are things I'm horribly allergic to (nuts, almonds, etc) and I can't eat. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
WHat about coconut oil, avocado or olives? They are all great fat choices and much less allergenic than nuts!
Old 11-23-2007, 07:52 AM   #3
Garrett Smith

Profile:

Sarena is right on.

Also, you can find sources of animal fat: lard & butter (grassfed of course), fish oil, cod liver oil, etc.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:10 AM   #4
Juan Romero Jr

Profile:

Looks like I got to try new foods, I've never liked olives, but avocados I've not had before.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:50 PM   #5
Daniel Freedman

Profile:

Slice up a large onion and cook (over moderate heat ) for 15 minutes in a pan with 1 tbsp. of coconut oil. Yummy! Throw in some spinach for the last four minutes.

In another pan, cook a steak seasoned with salt and pepper only. You really don't need any fat for the steak, but if you must: use a drop of olive oil or olive oil spray. It's fine to use a cheap cut of steak since you'll be covering it with the onions. (Or you could substitute lean ground beef, chicken or lamb cooked in the Foreman Grill.)

Another idea. Cook eggs or veggies in olive oil. And don't skrimp on the olive oil. Buy the good stuff. I've found one large bottle bought at my farmer's market for $18 lasts several months.

Yet another idea. I often cook stir frys in chicken stock. That means I've "saved" my fat quota and can use it to top the stir fry with light, low fat spicy szechwan peanut satay sauce. This won't work for you if you're allergic to peanuts. But what about seeds? Check the fat content of sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, chia seeds, etc...

Last edited by Daniel Freedman : 11-24-2007 at 04:05 PM.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:08 PM   #6
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Daniel;

Good post, tasty receipes. Love the use of Coconut Oil and the chicken stock.

I always end up with great stock from Pressuring cooking, then it's either for soup, now for stir fry, or my dog.

FAT IS WHERE IT'S AT!
Old 11-24-2007, 06:40 PM   #7
Daniel Freedman

Profile:

More recipe stuff...

It's interesting how my habits have morphed. For one thing, I'm paying a lot more attention to spices. Fortunately, there is a health food store around the corner where I can "pour my own" spices from large containers at very low prices. Just down the block is a discount supermarket, where I can buy fresh cilantro or dill for just 99 cents per large bunch. But I splurge on super-duper deluxe organic chicken stock from a gourmet store.

How does all this play out when it comes to using fat? For chicken stir fry, I use chicken stock and fresh cilantro. My fats would be chopped olives and peanut satay sauce.

My beef stir fry uses "all in one" Indian spice -- to which I add extra cumin, fennel seeds, and a few cardomon pods. I use only a little garlic olive oil spray, but no sauce. So I've "saved" most of my fat quota and can use it in a fruit and nut dessert. (An alternative would be a yogurt-based sauce to the Indian stir fry and no nuts for dessert.)

On to salads. For dressing, I use either olive oil or freshly squeezed lemon and
pepper. Since there's no fat in the lemon and pepper combo, I use olives in the salad. Add some tuna, capers, and cherry tomatoes, and you have a sort of salade nicoise.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:53 PM   #8
Chris Bate

Profile:

Whole eggs are easy for breakfast, as they have 4.5 g of fat per egg. I don't know how many people out there are comfortable eating them everyday though, seeing as the cholestorol myth has gripped society pretty strongly.

Are you on the normal zone fat recommendations? Or are you doing something like 2-5x? I was on 4x for a while, and for 5 block meals the fat needed can be so high that it would just be better (faster and cheaper) taking straight olive oil than to buy all the nuts/seeds needed to get it.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:02 PM   #9
Juan Romero Jr

Profile:

I'm learnign about the zone, and trying to get more precise about it, so right now I'm on normal fat recommendations.

Thanks for the recipies also, I'll try coconut oil too.