CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 06-28-2016, 09:34 AM   #1
Greg Morrison

Profile:
A plea for help from Sam Briggs

She sent out a plea for help that reads:

bicepslikebriggsI am writing this post hoping that someone in the CrossFit community can help me ... I have run into a problem with the processing of my visa at the U.S. Embassy in London and unfortunately, it will not be adjudicated in time for me to enter the United States to participate in the CrossFit Games this year. I am looking for assistance with Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) with granting me permission under parole in a limited capacity to come to the United States for the sole purpose of participating in the CrossFit Games. I have gone through all of the proper immigration channels, and this how now become an emergency situation for me and I ask that you please assist me with this matter. I understand that this is an extreme request, and I assure that it is not taken lightly. I just hope that someone in the CrossFit community is able to assist me. If you have any questions or seek additional information, please feel free to contact law firm Guerra & Johnson, P.C., at BrianJohnson@gjpclaw.com and/or RAcevedo@gjpclaw.com. Or private message me ... Any help and assistance will be greatly appreciated 💪🏻

It would really suck if this kept her from the Games.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:53 PM   #2
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:
Re: A plea for help from Sam Briggs

glad that she is reaching out. Saw some people who offered to marry her.. that was funny. Wonder why she is having so much problems. Seems its easy to get her.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:22 PM   #3
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

It lacks some detail on how one could help. Is she needing financal assistance, is she needing a US sponsor, etc etc?

Sean

***EDIT
Turns out her lawyers are seeking a contact within State, CBP, or the US Immigration Service.
It's not a money or sponsorship issue.

My guess is her lawyers are hoping to get expedited information, process advice, or to try and pull some strings for Briggs, by working with someone inside, common practice with my experience with immigration. Although, it's a bit odd that her immigration lawyers are seeking public assistance, if they were any good they'd have their own contacts, with these departments.

Also it appears Ms Briggs may have been a bit naughty?
"I am looking for assistance with Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) with granting me permission UNDER PAROLE in a limited capacity"
Granted, I may be confused by bureaucratic language...

Sean

Last edited by Sean J Hunter : 06-28-2016 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:13 AM   #4
Greg Morrison

Profile:

In United States immigration law, the term parole has three different meanings.

A person who does not meet the technical requirements for a visa or is inadmissible may be permitted to enter the United States on humanitarian parole for a temporary period of time, which includes a person who has been previously removed from the U.S.[1] Humanitarian parole is granted on a case-by-case basis at the discretion of the Secretary of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.[2]

Another use related to immigration is advance parole,[3] in which a person who already legally resides in the U.S. needs to leave temporarily and return without a visa. This typically occurs when a person's application to adjust status to permanent residency (to obtain a green card) is pending and the person must leave the U.S. for emergency or business reasons. It is also used for a temporary travel of those who received deferred action status by the USCIS, or have an asylum application pending. In the wake of September 11, 2001, there has been greater scrutiny of applications for parole and advance parole.[4]
Old 06-29-2016, 07:27 AM   #5
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

Awsome Greg,

Always good to be clear on these things.

Lets hope Briggs lawyer's can get it sorted, she's worked so hard, and this appears to perhaps be her last horah, she derserves to go out with a bang!

S
Old 06-30-2016, 09:12 AM   #6
Miles Roberts

Profile:

I really hope she can make it. Definite bummer, and it won't be the same if she can't.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:53 PM   #7
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean J Hunter View Post
Also it appears Ms Briggs may have been a bit naughty?
"I am looking for assistance with Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) with granting me permission UNDER PAROLE in a limited capacity"
Granted, I may be confused by bureaucratic language...

Sean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Morrison View Post
In United States immigration law, the term parole has three different meanings.

A person who does not meet the technical requirements for a visa or is inadmissible may be permitted to enter the United States on humanitarian parole for a temporary period of time, which includes a person who has been previously removed from the U.S.[1] Humanitarian parole is granted on a case-by-case basis at the discretion of the Secretary of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.[2]

Another use related to immigration is advance parole,[3] in which a person who already legally resides in the U.S. needs to leave temporarily and return without a visa. This typically occurs when a person's application to adjust status to permanent residency (to obtain a green card) is pending and the person must leave the U.S. for emergency or business reasons. It is also used for a temporary travel of those who received deferred action status by the USCIS, or have an asylum application pending. In the wake of September 11, 2001, there has been greater scrutiny of applications for parole and advance parole.[4]
My guess is that this is a complication created by fact that she was living in the US for a while - if you recall, she competed out of the South Region, a few years ago.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:35 PM   #8
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

Yes I hope that she makes it. She is cool to watch on those grinders! Real beast.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:14 PM   #9
Jeff Railsback

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher G. Woods View Post
My guess is that this is a complication created by fact that she was living in the US for a while - if you recall, she competed out of the South Region, a few years ago.
I wonder if she overstayed a visa and is now prohibited from entering the US of a specified period?
Old 07-18-2016, 11:24 AM   #10
Christopher Morris

Profile:

She made it to the U.S.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIAXAF4AiLw/ (wfs)