CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-26-2016, 06:18 PM   #21
Steven Wingo

Profile:
Re: Level 3 (CCFT) Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren Clark View Post
Steven it's been a few months since your last post. I'm wondering if you have taken the test yet?
I have not. I'm an attorney by day, coach most weekdays for a couple hours each night, and have a family--had a busy Holidays and am currently traveling a lot with one of my daughters to look at colleges. I have been preparing and have made a lot of progress, but my preparation is slower than I would like.

So far I have printed every written article, read them all, and highlighted those portions I wanted to come back to review. I'm now outlining everything on the computer as I go through the articles a second time. I've also started watching the videos and creating a set of notes from those (I had watched most of the videos before so they are not new to me, but are primarily review).

I am probably a month or maybe two away still. My plan is to ensure I take it in time so that if I don't pass I can wait the 90 days and still have a 2nd shot before my year long window is up.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:50 PM   #22
Daniel Boyd

Profile:

I sat for my second one today. I printed out every article listed two months ago and made a study book. There isn't a word in those journal entries that I don't know. Same for the videos. I watched them numerous times. I relayed every issue to someone that I coach in the gym. I made notes and my own quizzes as well. I felt very confident going into the test that it would go better. I still failed it. Results still showed "lower than the average score of test takers" etc. etc.

Im not sure what the answer is, but I don't see how I would not have passed.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:49 PM   #23
Steven Wingo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Boyd View Post
I sat for my second one today. I printed out every article listed two months ago and made a study book. There isn't a word in those journal entries that I don't know. Same for the videos. I watched them numerous times. I relayed every issue to someone that I coach in the gym. I made notes and my own quizzes as well. I felt very confident going into the test that it would go better. I still failed it. Results still showed "lower than the average score of test takers" etc. etc.

Im not sure what the answer is, but I don't see how I would not have passed.
Kudos to you for stepping up to the plate, studying, and pursuing excellence in coaching--that is really what it is all about. I can tell you 100% that I'm a better coach now, much better, due to the work I've put in so far studying. Hopefully I will be able to schedule and take the test soon I'm getting close.

Best of luck if you schedule it again. As a trial attorney I've had some difficult days in my career, heartbreaking days, but the biggest successes come after getting up off the mat, holding your head high for your efforts, and committing yourself to getting better.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:50 PM   #24
Steven Wingo

Profile:

For those who have inquired periodically, I took the test late today and passed. I'm going to steer far clear of talking about the substance of the test in any way because the non-disclosure rules regarding the substance are very strict.

In my assessment the test is challenging, but fair. Everything you need to earn a passing score can be gleaned from the materials referenced in the handbook so long as you learn the information in depth and make a concerted effort in applying what is presented in the materials on a daily basis in your coaching. Go to the box every day to get better as a coach.

From the very beginning so much about CrossFit has just struck a chord with me. Greg Glassman's business philosophy was appealing from the beginning and is the philosophy I have followed in my law practice for more than 20 years. Don't focus on advertising or marketing or money, just pursue excellence in what you do.

Now that I have the test behind me I'm going to do exactly what Greg Glassman suggests--I'm going to start over and rededicate myself to focusing on the fundamentals both as an athlete and as a coach. And I'll start by improving my own air squat. I'm going to continue to work to master the fundamentals. My favorite CrossFit article/video from the Journal and the materials is Glassman's August 2005 Fundamentals, Virtuosity, and Mastery: An Open Letter to CrossFit Trainers. I've really taken that article to heart and believe its guidance is key.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:29 AM   #25
Daniel Boyd

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Wingo View Post
For those who have inquired periodically, I took the test late today and passed. I'm going to steer far clear of talking about the substance of the test in any way because the non-disclosure rules regarding the substance are very strict.

In my assessment the test is challenging, but fair. Everything you need to earn a passing score can be gleaned from the materials referenced in the handbook so long as you learn the information in depth and make a concerted effort in applying what is presented in the materials on a daily basis in your coaching. Go to the box every day to get better as a coach.

From the very beginning so much about CrossFit has just struck a chord with me. Greg Glassman's business philosophy was appealing from the beginning and is the philosophy I have followed in my law practice for more than 20 years. Don't focus on advertising or marketing or money, just pursue excellence in what you do.

Now that I have the test behind me I'm going to do exactly what Greg Glassman suggests--I'm going to start over and rededicate myself to focusing on the fundamentals both as an athlete and as a coach. And I'll start by improving my own air squat. I'm going to continue to work to master the fundamentals. My favorite CrossFit article/video from the Journal and the materials is Glassman's August 2005 Fundamentals, Virtuosity, and Mastery: An Open Letter to CrossFit Trainers. I've really taken that article to heart and believe its guidance is key.
Steven, do you have a personal email that I can contact you with?
Old 08-09-2016, 04:19 PM   #26
Steven Wingo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Boyd View Post
Steven, do you have a personal email that I can contact you with?
Sent you a private message with my e-mail. It is also listed in my bio in the CrossFit Journal article published yesterday on the CF-L3 exam.