CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-25-2011, 03:34 PM   #1
James D Hall

Profile:
Avoiding Plantar plantar fasciitis AGAIN!

I'm all healed after a grueling bout with PF! The problem was caused by too much beach volleyball and walking around the streets barefoot ( i live in rio de janeiro - it's warm here!). Now, I'm slowly re-starting activities on the beach. I'm walking on the sand and playing very light volleyball.*
Does anyone have any tips for easing back into this w/o getting injured again? I am seeing lots of advice but, much of it contradictory! Most of the advice is aimed at relieving PF symptoms - don't jump, don't go w/o shoes, stay off the toes etc. I want to know what I should be doing to better my chances of avoiding injury again! Like, what about jump rope? What about doing ankle and toe lifts with weights? Will these activities make me stronger or just irritate the foot again? **
Old 08-25-2011, 05:24 PM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Avoiding Plantar plantar fasciitis AGAIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by James D Hall View Post
I'm all healed after a grueling bout with PF! The problem was caused by too much beach volleyball and walking around the streets barefoot ( i live in rio de janeiro - it's warm here!). Now, I'm slowly re-starting activities on the beach. I'm walking on the sand and playing very light volleyball.*
Does anyone have any tips for easing back into this w/o getting injured again? I am seeing lots of advice but, much of it contradictory! Most of the advice is aimed at relieving PF symptoms - don't jump, don't go w/o shoes, stay off the toes etc. I want to know what I should be doing to better my chances of avoiding injury again! Like, what about jump rope? What about doing ankle and toe lifts with weights? Will these activities make me stronger or just irritate the foot again? **
Soft tissue work with a golf ball to the entire bottom of your foot, and using "The Stick" on your lower legs.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:49 PM   #3
Brent Sallee

Profile:
Re: Avoiding Plantar plantar fasciitis AGAIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
Soft tissue work with a golf ball to the entire bottom of your foot, and using "The Stick" on your lower legs.
The golf ball on the foot is only valid if the plantar fascia has focal adhesions or is too short. Many cases of plantar fasciitis come on individuals where the plantar fascia is too long. Making it longer with the standard golf-ball massage may actually increase symptoms.

James, plantar fasciitis is typically caused by compensations due to reduced motion at the foot and ankle. If you can improve your dorsiflexion via stretching and foam rolling the calf, you can definitely reduce the amount you compensate. However, this doesn't automatically fix things. You could have poor posterior tibialis strength, possible foot deformity, etc. If it seriously bothers you, it'd be in your best interest to go see a physical therapist (physiotherapist) to get fully evaluated and treated. Sometimes, cases are so severe that orthotics are necessary, but not always.