CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-30-2008, 09:58 AM   #1
Bob Guere

Profile:
Plantar Fasciitis

I found an article (here or otherwise) that outlined a daily regimen of foot exercises that cure most common foot ailments. It was a series of walking steps done with the feet in different positions, etc.

Does anyone know of the document that I am speaking of? If so, can you post a link here or PM me?

Thanks. I've got some nasty Plantar Fasciitis going on for a number of weeks now, and I haven't quit the WODs. That's really what I should do first, then ice and rest. However, prevention in the future is key, and this document that I'm speaking of was of particular interest to me.... if only I could find it.

Thanks.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:58 PM   #2
C James Barton

Profile:
Re: Plantar Fasciitis

I can't find the article, but I know exactly the regime because I'm doing it. It's 25m barefoot of:
- walking on the outside odge of the feet
- walking on the inside edge of the feet
- walking with feet turned out
- walking with feet turned in
- walking on the toes

and then, with shoes back on:
- walking on the heels.

I normally do this on a treadmill at the globo before I start my warmup.

Ice and rest are good, but you might also look at night splints. PF hit my quality of life for a couple of years because I didn't take it seriously enough early on. It takes ages to heal, so be careful.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:00 PM   #3
C James Barton

Profile:

Got it:
http://www.coachr.org/planfasc.htmALL LINKS MUST INDICATE WHETHER OR NOT THEY ARE WORK AND FAMILY SAFE!

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 02-08-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:19 PM   #4
Camille Lore

Profile:

Bob- I had this way before I started CF. I had it for over a year before I sought help from a friend who does massage. He got rid of it. I also started to buy better shoes after that. Seems going barefoot at the time may have aggravated it. However, I'm barefoot a lot now and never get it....

For zoning related questions, please email me at Camille at CrossFit.com
Old 09-30-2008, 05:12 PM   #5
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by C James Barton View Post
I can't find the article, but I know exactly the regime because I'm doing it. It's 25m barefoot of:
- walking on the outside odge of the feet
- walking on the inside edge of the feet
- walking with feet turned out
- walking with feet turned in
- walking on the toes

and then, with shoes back on:
- walking on the heels.

I normally do this on a treadmill at the globo before I start my warmup.

Ice and rest are good, but you might also look at night splints. PF hit my quality of life for a couple of years because I didn't take it seriously enough early on. It takes ages to heal, so be careful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camille Lore View Post
Bob- I had this way before I started CF. I had it for over a year before I sought help from a friend who does massage. He got rid of it. I also started to buy better shoes after that. Seems going barefoot at the time may have aggravated it. However, I'm barefoot a lot now and never get it....
Right on folks! Thanks for the doc! New shoes are in order!

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 02-08-2009 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:22 PM   #6
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Bob;

I know you live in a rural town, but before you run out (no pun intended) to buy new shoes, I'd consider the following:

Find a Podiatrists that works with runners

Find a high end running store that has a treadmill, maybe a video camera, and will film your gait and be able to prescsribe the right shoe.

Alot of shoes out there and not all are up to the task and if you do have PF, plus your not a petite pansy type guy, I'd really be slow going as to the type and brand of shoe, and price is not always a deciding factor on what shoe is better for you, and your running style.

PF is like a groin injury, damn thing never goes away and sometimes, keeps coming back.

My two cents for today.

Chow on and I hope your not squatting and DL'ing bare foot......
Old 09-30-2008, 05:29 PM   #7
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Bob;

I know you live in a rural town, but before you run out (no pun intended) to buy new shoes, I'd consider the following:

Find a Podiatrists that works with runners

Find a high end running store that has a treadmill, maybe a video camera, and will film your gait and be able to prescsribe the right shoe.

Alot of shoes out there and not all are up to the task and if you do have PF, plus your not a petite pansy type guy, I'd really be slow going as to the type and brand of shoe, and price is not always a deciding factor on what shoe is better for you, and your running style.

PF is like a groin injury, damn thing never goes away and sometimes, keeps coming back.

My two cents for today.

Chow on and I hope your not squatting and DL'ing bare foot......
Thanks Jay... all taken into consideration already thankfully. I know (have known) I'm a moderate to severe overpronator. I've recently (after years) switched to a more flexible Asics that I know is waaaaaaaaay to flexible for my feet. I've got a runners shoe buyers' guide from the old man, he's a lifetime LD runner and knows too much about shoes for never working with Al Bundy.

I can tell you buy my shoe wear patterns alone that I overpronate. So I'm confident in my self-rehab for now, as everything I read leads me to the same conclusions and remedies. I just need to do it now.

Always enjoy your input Jay. BTW, my buddy just got a buck in Utah... venison is going to be on my menu soon!
Old 09-30-2008, 05:44 PM   #8
Steven Price

Profile:

My PF went away when I started doing calf raises with 135 pounds on my shoulders. Standing on "stairs," only used my toes, lowering well below the level of my feet, then lifting to my tip-toes. 20 times every day. Probably took a week to take effect. Other things had an influence (shoes, inserts, etc.), but this was like magic.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:45 PM   #9
Camille Lore

Profile:

Why no barefoot dls?

For zoning related questions, please email me at Camille at CrossFit.com
Old 09-30-2008, 07:22 PM   #10
Steven Bowser

Profile:

Bob,
Its funny because I just starting getting over P F. I got a great pair of Asics Running Shoes and I use them all the time. I got some inserts and it seems to help. I try to ice on a regular basis. Not only ice put your foot in a bucket of ice water. I also put heat on it and stretch it out. Then I roll my foot on top of a soup can which hurts like a *****. My Chiro did a tape job which also helped.
Massage the crap out of it and ice and heat. And try to lay off for a while which we know that wont happen.
Good luck.

I forgot to add one of my members had surgery it got so bad. Cant seem to knock it. He did tell me he just bought some inserts from the running store that you put in the oven and heat up before putting them in your shoe and they are helping better than his expensive orthotics he bought