CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-26-2006, 02:41 PM   #11
gina holmstrom

Profile:  
i just ripped my palm today doing the workout....(hdpu and pullups) the bar had fresh tape on it and although this allowed me the kip the hell out of the pullups, i think it contributed to the blister which tore of and left an open sore on my palm....did the tape cause the blister?? if so how do you stay on the bar without tape??? my hands and arms (and rest of body!) are drenched and I feel like I would slip off and can't keep a grip without tape.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:24 PM   #12
Mike Griffith

Profile:
Why don't you guys just use gloves. Seems simple to me.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:23 AM   #13
Roger Harrell

Profile:
James,

As you do more dynamic movement the grip certainly gets tougher. The times I do rip is generally when I'm working new skills, or stuff I'm not comfortable with because I'll tend to grip harder and place more load on my hands due to bad technique. Kipping pull ups are pretty tough on the hands overall. I've ripped doing them after a high bar day and I've got pretty tough hands :-).
Old 06-04-2006, 07:12 AM   #14
Jim Lark

Profile:
Thanks for all the replies. Nice to hear I'm not the only one with hamburger hands :-)

I think I'm going to try the gloves. My hands have healed pretty well and I've been managing the callouses so I tried some kipping pull-ups at our local gym - bar is more narrow but similar results. I know I swing like hell when I kip so all I can figure is the hands just can't handle it right now.

I'll let you know how the gloves work out.

Jim
Old 06-05-2006, 05:41 AM   #15
Erik Preston

Profile:
To throw my $.02 in, I have to swear by mountain biking short gloves. They have padding in the palm and right over the meaty callous forming area at the base of the hand. An implement that allows one to continue training hard is ok by my book. After all, we wear shoes don't we?

I've had luck with smoothing out callouses with emory boards, and if you can find pure shea butter, or better yet, pure emu oil (this is some seriously effective snake oil) you will find that you're back in the game immediately...
Old 06-05-2006, 05:50 AM   #16
Erik Preston

Profile:
Here's an emu oil link: http://www.emuoilsource.com/

Note: I have no vested interest in this. An old African lady saw my callouses and turned me onto this, her hands were like a teenager's. Her son was a finalist in the BEST RANGER competition, and used it on his feet in between events, and now his squad is hooked on it. Me, the ultimate skeptic-- I now swear by it. Get some. Now.