CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-07-2015, 12:07 AM   #1
Kenneth Cheung

Profile:
Kettlebell cert

i just finished the kettlebell cert, i cant recommend it enough, i've done a few certs now and kettlebell ranks next to mobility cert for me in terms of depth of detail, new knowledge and general fun.

i actually expected more from the weightlifting cert, as wasn't expecting all that much from the kettlebell one, but i found the kettlebell cert really good fun. its also the only cert i've done with a test at the end of the cert, so it was good in the sense that there was some measure of quality in the coaching and the learning... at least out here in china we get lots of 'badge collectors' who take the certs just for the sake of getting another badge on the sleeve, and they really lower the standard of coaching, so seeing a cert actually do a test is great for maintaining that quality of learning (even if its only at a basic level)

stuff i learned -
russian/american/single/ russian double - swings
snatch/clean&press/ clean/ double clean
armbar/turkish getup/ single and double floor press
press/push press/ single press
2x types and hand transitions
programming stuff
Old 12-08-2015, 10:04 AM   #2
Matthew Potak

Profile:
Re: Kettlebell cert

Thanks for the info. I really think that the KB movements help a lot with carry over to CF metcons. I hope more CF competitions will start using KB's in the workouts.

Also, did the instructor say anything about a Kettlebells carryover to other strength movements?
Old 12-08-2015, 07:41 PM   #3
Kenneth Cheung

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Potak View Post
Thanks for the info. I really think that the KB movements help a lot with carry over to CF metcons. I hope more CF competitions will start using KB's in the workouts.

Also, did the instructor say anything about a Kettlebells carryover to other strength movements?
yeah, quite a bit, basically, he was saying that with KBs, there's so much emphasis on that explosive hip opening (kb swing) and so much 'endurance' that goes in to KB (10min max rep sets swings, cleans, snatch for example) this really helps with certain powerlifting movements -
eg. the final lock out of deadlifts, squats
Old 06-13-2016, 03:00 AM   #4
Christopher Day

Profile:

Kenneth, where in Shanghai are you training? I'd like to seek you out.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:13 AM   #5
Richard Colon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Potak View Post
Do anything involving high reps (in the 100s) for 5+ minutes with 70+ lbs loads and you'll build insane all around fitness/strength, etc.

Look at a world class (possibly best in the world) strictly KB athlete like Ivan Denisov.

He doesn't train Deadlift yet he pulled 600lbs. He also isn't a rower and he did 500m in 1:16 I think. Seconds off the world record in his BW category I think.

There is tremendous carry-over. I'm guessing there are few movements/disciplines/tools that have as much carry-over to all around bada$$ strength and endurance than good KB training.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:33 PM   #6
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

great overall tool for injury prevention and conditioning. I tend to use them for quick workouts(complexes will kick your butt in gear fast). , assistance exercises, and finishers. Recommend buying a whole set so you have variety.