CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-30-2004, 10:01 PM   #1
Coach

Profile:

The following came to me from Paul Manfre of Dayton, Ohio. Let's help:

"I am pumped to find a gymnastics coach, infact got the nerve up to call one here in dayton ohio at our biggest gymnastics gym (it takes some nerve to call a gymnastics coach when you are 31 yrs old, male 6'3 and 265 pounds). they basically laughed at me on the phone. do you guys have a listing of gyms across the nation by any chance? or any ideas.

Paul Manfre"
Old 03-31-2004, 07:18 AM   #2
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hi Coach, Paul,

The only advice I can give is to be persistent. Two weeks ago I was signing up my children for gymnastics classes (www.scampsgymnastics.com, if anyone's interested). When I asked if I would be able to participate in open gym, I got a similar reaction from the lady working the desk at the time (no laughter, but a look of surprise/shock) and was told that I would not be allowed to use the equipment. However, when I took the kids to their first class a week later, a different person was working the desk. When I asked her about the issue and explained what types of exercises I would be doing, she said it would be fine and said that if anybody questioned my being there to let them know that, "Sandy said it was OK."

When she saw me leaving my first open gym, she asked how everything went and explained that, although that particular week was busy (they were getting ready for a meet the next day), she could potentially arrange to have one of their coaches give me some pointers during open gym. I missed last Friday because of illness, but look forward to returning for this week's open gym.

Paul, do you know if the person you talked to on the phone was the owner or not? If not, I'd make another call (or better yet, stop in) and see if someone who has real pull at the place might have a different opinion. Maybe bring a copy of the Crossfit Foundations or 'What is Fitness' so they know exactly where you're coming from. For what it's worth I'm no young featherweight either (31 yrs old, 215#).

Hope this helps and good luck,

Ryan
Old 03-31-2004, 09:53 PM   #3
Carrie Klumpar

Profile:
Don't know much about gymnastics, but I have seen some info on this topic on the Web (and I love the idea of taking an adult gymnastics class someday).

There is in fact a national listing at http://www.adultgymnastics.com/classes/classes.htm. There's also at least one thread on the topic of adult gymnastics on drillsandskills.com at http://www.drillsandskills.com/forum...opic.php?t=372, which you might find interesting.

And you can always search the CrossFit forums on the word "adult" (in text of messages) for some interesting discussions and ideas, though not necessarily ones that will lead directly to a coach in Dayton, I suppose.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:41 PM   #4
Coach

Profile:

Thanks, Carrie! Great links. They'll both show up on the front end.

Coach
Old 04-01-2004, 08:39 AM   #5
Roger Harrell

Profile:
I also recommend stopping by the gym if you can. The main thing that you will want to let these folks know is that you understand your own limitations, you will be focused in how you train and if you get hurt you will drag yourself outside and tell everyone you got hit by a car or something (just kidding on the last part, sorta).

Seriously the big problem in the US with adult gymnastics is the insurance policies. There's a risk in gymnastics, and an even larger perceived risk so many insurance companies will refuse to insure gyms that allow adults. This is the result of our litigation happy society. Talk to folks, and check several gyms. Hopefully you'll be able to find one that is amenable. If we get enough adults inquiring gyms, and insurance companies will have to listen and accomodate.

BTW on the injury side, I know first hand that adult gymnastics done properly will help prevent injury overall. One of my 50 year old students was riding his bike with his son, hit a nasty hole and went over the handle bars. He rolled out and was not injured at all. 2 years ago that crash would have been ugly. Ugh, that became a rant, sorry the insurance thing is a sore subject for me.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:47 AM   #6
Mike Yukish

Profile:
I'd think that offering adult gymnastics training could be a good sideline for climbing gyms. They are already tackling the risk thing head on, so gymnastics wouldn't be increasing the risk load any more than it is. Good cross-pollinization between the two, also.
Old 04-01-2004, 10:13 AM   #7
Roger Harrell

Profile:
There are quite a few gymnastics facilities with climbing walls, but not the other way around. Most climbing gyms do not have the staff/knowledge to tackle gymnastics. This would create a dangerous situation. Similar to the remaining high schools that have gymnastics now. It's not good. Gymnastics done properly is safe, gymnastics done improperly is exceedingly risky.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:45 PM   #8
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
I also recommend stopping by the gym if you can. The main thing that you will want to let these folks know is that you understand your own limitations, you will be focused in how you train and if you get hurt you will drag yourself outside and tell everyone you got hit by a car or something (just kidding on the last part, sorta).

This reminded me of something I forgot to mention before. One of Sandy's foremost concerns with letting me 'play' was having a 200+ pound individual doing dismounts of any kind when there are a ton of kids running around. After describing the exercises I'd be using (none of which involve dynamic dismounts) she seemed much more comfortable with the idea. You may want to mention this fact if and when you stop by the gym.

Hope this helps,

Ryan
Old 04-01-2004, 05:16 PM   #9
Roger Harrell

Profile:
That I fully understand. I saw a kid get kicked across a gym when a guy swung a ring giant right as the kid stepped into his path. Both were ok, but the kid was scared spitless. BTW when you are in the gym, you must treat the entire gym as if it were a freeway you are trying to cross. Well a 3D freeway with vehicles flying in every direction anyway. Seriously, gym ettiquite requires you to pay attention to where folks are, and are going. I almost killed a guy that decided to sit on my vault landing mat as I was taking off of the board.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:49 PM   #10
Jason Lauer

Profile:
I really lucked out, until Crossfit I never thought too much about gymnastics. I always thought they were great athletes and short of handstand pushups and some handsprings I didn't do anything.

My neighbor for the last 15 years at my dad's house is the Gymnastics Director for the local YMCA, which has a great facility. I talked to her today and she said I could come to an adult gymnastics class for free and that if I couldn't really afford it she said "we could work something out." How great is that, they also have some really good coaches compared to others in the region. I lucked out on this one.