CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 04-02-2004, 10:59 AM   #1
Robert Wolf

Profile:
I mentioned this book in the Stretching thread and wanted to say a bit about it here.

Like I mentioned in the other thread it is written by the folks who did Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar and Survival. If you know me at all you know I love that book. This one is better.

A disclaimer-
If you are: conservative, liberal, feminist or standard tree-hugging-hippy-type you are likely to get really really mad at some of the issues raised in this book (i.e. this book has the potential to offend EVERYONE).

The societal implications are huge and very emotionally loaded. I'm afraid that the message here may be lost in the hoopla which is sure to arise. I hope that the base message is conveyed that women’s health has been horribly mismanaged, that some people are getting very wealthy from a huge amount of preventable pain and suffering.

The book is not going to be released until Sept. but I found an advance copy in a used book store. You can as well.
Old 04-02-2004, 04:03 PM   #2
Paul "The Viking"
Departed Paul

Profile:

Amazon says this book was actually released in September of 2003, so everyone should be able to get it. Check out your local library, too - mine has a copy of it (as well as a copy of Lights Out.)

Robb - do you mind giving a few more details of the main points of the book?

-Paul
Old 04-06-2004, 02:42 PM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Paul-
The main idea is that pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding protect moms (and interestingly their children as well) from cancer, heart disease and dementia.

The recent studies implicating hormone replacement as a cancer promoter was using synthetic, non bioidentical estrogen and typically no progesterone. In most cases the hormones are not cycled at all which is apparently key to normal cell growth and apoptosis.

What they advocate is hormone replacement with bioidentical hormones which are available only through a compounding pharmacist. These hormones are non-patentable and therefore low profit.

There is sooo much more but that is the main thrust of the book.
Thanks for the interest!
Robb

Old 04-06-2004, 03:21 PM   #4
Roger Harrell

Profile:
The statistics on breastfeeding as a breast cancer prevention are phenominal. I don't know the exact numbers, but if a woman breast feeds 2-3 kids her chance of breast cancer is virtually nill. Use stuff for what it was meant to be used for and we stay healthy. Imagine that.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:02 AM   #5
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Roger-
It is true...and it is a dicey thing to educate people about. The leader of NOW (national organization for women) was approached with just this topic by a very forward thinking medical group. the NOW president basicly said there was no way that they were going to publicly advocate women having babies at an earlier age. Even if it meant saving their lives!

Like I said previously this book raises some issues which can bring a polite conversation to flash-point for a lot of folks. It will be interesting to see how it all progresses.
Robb
Old 04-07-2004, 01:12 PM   #6
Ryan Shanks

Profile:

Sounds like a good book. I'll give it a read if I get a chance.