CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-02-2009, 08:59 AM   #1
Wes Highfill

Profile:
Stall mats and black knee/black hands

This is my first post to Crossfit, and I'd like to say you have a lot of great information on this site and forums.

I've pretty much given up on a commercial gym and am now outfitting myself to workout at home. I have a 2+ car garage that has, for a few years, been serving as a woodshop for fine furniture. This is the garage's main purpose. However, I'd also like to workout in there, as well (EVERYTHING is on wheels, so I can move things around as needed to make whatever space I need. I'm also adept at tucking things into nooks and crannies). I read the Crossfit article on home gyms, and went out and got 1 stall mat (4 x 6, 3/4") to try out. It is so much better to do burpees and such on that than on the concrete. It would also be way nicer walking on and standing on stall mats than on the concrete when I am woodworking. Those mats are also indestructible, and it seems like the machines will roll around and operate just fine on them. I'd like to mat the whole garage/shop. The only concern I have, though, is that the mats leave my hands just a little black after rounds of burpees. The hands clean off just fine, but I do not want that black on any of the furniture I build (like, say, on some maple). So here are my questions:

Does the black that comes off go away with time (ie, in 6 months, does it stop happening)? Or is there anyway to seal it to prevent that from happening?

I saw a post on here from way back that said painting it was a bad idea, and that makes sense. I don't mind the black color on the floor, I just don't want it getting on the wood of my furniture. Just wanted to tap those with more experience. Thanks.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:56 AM   #2
Ben Sparks

Profile:
Re: Stall mats and black knee/black hands

Once you lay them down, you can mop them a couple times just like you would a floor. That'll take off most of the rubber dust that makes them black. I also use my garage as a gym & workshop, and it worked fine for me.

I did the shop-vac, mop, shop-vac, mop sequence on them and they hardly leave any black marks or dust at all now.