CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #41
Alex Carey

Profile:
Re: Gslp

If you're not using the quick oats, just give a good shake before each sip and you won't end up with a bunch of sediment at the bottom.

Also, if you have a coffee grinder, obliterate them before mixing.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:24 PM   #42
Michael Bullock

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
Did you get quick oats or standard? If you get quick oats they should get pretty puffy and mushy just by soaking in the water, whereas standard oats would likely not change composition much from sitting in water for 3 minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
You can blend them if you want, but as long as they're quick oats they should turn into a drinkable mush after a minute or so in a shaker bottle.
They were the Quaker Steel Cut Oats. I'll grab some quick oats tonight and try them.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:29 PM   #43
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Steel cut oats are a completely different thing. They typically need to be cooked or they're as hard as little pebbles. You want the plain kind that come in the 2-3lb cylindrical cardboard tubs.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:22 PM   #44
Paul Crush

Profile:

What days should conditioning be done on GSLP assuming I am lifting m/w/f?

Thanks
Old 08-09-2011, 12:36 PM   #45
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Crush View Post
What days should conditioning be done on GSLP assuming I am lifting m/w/f?

Thanks
Wednesday after deadlifts and Saturdays. The FM burpees can be done just about every day too.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:04 PM   #46
Paul Crush

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Wednesday after deadlifts and Saturdays. The FM burpees can be done just about every day too.
Thank you. What are FM burpees? Max burpees in a set amount of time? or just how many I can do in a row then stop when I gas out?
Old 08-09-2011, 01:21 PM   #47
Alex Carey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Crush View Post
Thank you. What are FM burpees? Max burpees in a set amount of time? or just how many I can do in a row then stop when I gas out?
http://strengthvillain.com/?p=117 (wfs)

edit: the rest of the site, not so wfs

Last edited by Alex Carey : 08-09-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:22 PM   #48
Thom Knapp

Profile:

Buy the ebook!
Old 08-10-2011, 09:38 AM   #49
Teemu Teekkari

Profile:

This GSLP doesn't really seem like a well-thought-out program to me.

Problems:

1) No rows or any other dynamic upper back work at all, but instead biceps curls twice a week?

2) The neck harness:
- training neck extensors 3 times a week with no work for the flexors doesn't seem very balanced
- loaded neck flexion-compression 3 times a week sounds like a cervical disc herniation waiting to happen

3) The nutrition stuff is just pure broscience. No carbs in the evening? Milk makes you fat? Please.

Also, I like how his e-book is significantly more expensive than Rippetoe's Practical Programming or Cressey's Maximum Strength, both of which are actual books. Or you can get Defranco's WS4SB 3 pdf for free and he actually trains real athletes.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:22 AM   #50
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu Teekkari View Post
This GSLP doesn't really seem like a well-thought-out program to me.

Problems:

1) No rows or any other dynamic upper back work at all, but instead biceps curls twice a week?

2) The neck harness:
- training neck extensors 3 times a week with no work for the flexors doesn't seem very balanced
- loaded neck flexion-compression 3 times a week sounds like a cervical disc herniation waiting to happen

3) The nutrition stuff is just pure broscience. No carbs in the evening? Milk makes you fat? Please.

Also, I like how his e-book is significantly more expensive than Rippetoe's Practical Programming or Cressey's Maximum Strength, both of which are actual books. Or you can get Defranco's WS4SB 3 pdf for free and he actually trains real athletes.
He advocates barbell or dumbbell rows for people who think they need them, but doesn't think they're required for most people in a basic strength program.

Neck extensions are the main sort of neck strengthening work done by boxers, MMA fighters, and athletes in contact sports. Flexion is rarely trained, if at all.

He admits that a lot of his nutrition stuff is broscience, but it's based on what he's seen work/not work while coaching and consulting with several hundred people. I put more stock in that sort of experience than I do in most lab science. And milk is known for making people fat because of its lactose content and the IGF-1....just look at the feedback you'll get from pretty much anyone who's done GOMAD.