CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 01-24-2018, 05:42 PM   #1
Joe Wannebo

Profile:
Thoughts on new movement standards...

I am interested in hearing peoples thoughts on some of the movement standards changing...

As Castro demoed the DB Snatch must reach eye level before changing hands and the burpee is now a 2-foot kickback/ forward to complete the standard.

I am not sold on the dumbbell change. Honestly, I do not see much of a difference in the movement. But for the burpee I can see this being a serious game changer! For smaller bodyweight/gymnastics guys like me I enjoy burpees in the sense I can do them fast. But when trying to keep a good pace the step up or back is vital for me keeping my HR down.

I hope CrossFit continues to evolve its movements so it can keep some overall uniformity in the competition setting.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:12 PM   #2
Jon Campbell

Profile:
Re: Thoughts on new movement standards...

I don't understand the purpose or reasoning. The snatch change seems like a solution looking for a problem.

Why change the burpee? Why does it matter? The goal is to complete the work right? Yes, it makes it harder but so would not allowing butterfly pullups and making you do them strict. Or kipping handstand pushups.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:41 PM   #3
Vic McQuaide

Profile:

Judging nightmare right? Eye level when its going so fast. Now you have to make sure the athlete hits both sides of the db on the ground, goes all the way up, locking out and then have to watch the transition? Seems needless to say the least.

Two feet out and in. Do the feet have to be even or just land with two feet? How wide can you go? Again tough for judges who are not getting paid and makes it easy for someone to do not so much new standards and call them new. Seems un needed.
Owner of Crossfitdarkside.com Fran: 2:36 Diane: 2:30 Jackie 5:43 Mary 15+ rounds Helen 6:58
Old 01-29-2018, 01:10 AM   #4
Alex Burden

Profile:

On the snatch - all they are looking for is the lock out at the top which is fine. I suppose this is only way to make sure people lock out and that as a judge can clearly see it. As for eye level or below.... BRO REPS

The burpee - i have the same opinion as Vic. You can actually jump with your feet offset but still at the same time. This is not clearly stated they need to be parallel at all.

I was checking a few different sites and none of them have the same clear view on the burpee. Some say you have to lock out/stand up at the top and some don't.

This needs to be sorted out and in writing on the CF homepage.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:18 AM   #5
Alex Burden

Profile:

according to Mat Chan... if anyone should know

Burpee - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UunbfaoJmxg WFS

Snach - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2jiWtUMM_w WFS
Old 01-29-2018, 01:18 PM   #6
Vic McQuaide

Profile:

Bro Reps for everyone!!!!!! Just like always!!!!!!
Owner of Crossfitdarkside.com Fran: 2:36 Diane: 2:30 Jackie 5:43 Mary 15+ rounds Helen 6:58
Old 01-30-2018, 12:59 AM   #7
Alex Burden

Profile:

When i thought about it, the burpee.. Burpee - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UunbfaoJmxg WFS

When he jumps two footed and lands with his feet sidewards to get over the bar or box wouldn't that be the same as the previous way we did burpees over the bar/box. His feet land at different times! so if you let one leg hang back you will more or less be doing th esame thing as before.

The only way for them to define this correctly is if they actually say it is a 2 feet take off and a 2 feet landing.

This will make it impossible for anyone to side step later.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:17 AM   #8
Jayme Gruber

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic McQuaide View Post
Judging nightmare right? Eye level when its going so fast. Now you have to make sure the athlete hits both sides of the db on the ground, goes all the way up, locking out and then have to watch the transition? Seems needless to say the least.

Two feet out and in. Do the feet have to be even or just land with two feet? How wide can you go? Again tough for judges who are not getting paid and makes it easy for someone to do not so much new standards and call them new. Seems un needed.
I don't recall that being part of the standard.

The point of the eye level aspect was that people were changing hands overhead and never actually locking out. I'm not too annoyed with that one.

The burpee sucks though. I like utilizing the split stance hop step up thing. I don't think it's a confusing rule though. Both feet take off at the same time and land at the same time, that's it. They don't have to be even or side by side, you can go as wide as you want, they do the burpees as either over the bar or over a box so there is no standard to stand them up and be even/side by side.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:25 AM   #9
Jon Campbell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayme Gruber View Post
I don't recall that being part of the standard.

The point of the eye level aspect was that people were changing hands overhead and never actually locking out. I'm not too annoyed with that one.

The burpee sucks though. I like utilizing the split stance hop step up thing. I don't think it's a confusing rule though. Both feet take off at the same time and land at the same time, that's it. They don't have to be even or side by side, you can go as wide as you want, they do the burpees as either over the bar or over a box so there is no standard to stand them up and be even/side by side.
On the dumbbell snatch both heads of the dumbbell have to touch the ground. The clean only one has to touch.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:28 PM   #10
Joe Wannebo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic McQuaide View Post

I agree. Judging nightmare for sure! I do like the difficulty the new burpee standard brings but still leaves room for people to "cheat" or make the movement less hard. Do the feet need to stay between the shoulders? Can they go outside the hips? What if one foot gets caught up on the stand/returning of full extension?

I think the dumbbell rule is going to cause a lot of trouble. What if the athlete completes the rep of a DB snatch, then as they are lowering themselves, and the DB down, towards the ground and they change above their eyes? They clearly would be lower than their eye level but since they are lowering themselves down to start another rep they are no-repped.