CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 08-17-2008, 10:39 PM   #1
Michael V. Perkins

Profile:
My faux, "CrossFit-like" workouts

First, a disclaimer. I am not CF certified, nor do I claim to be a CF trainer at all. I am a mere fan of the WODs and make up some of my own WODs from time to time. With that caveat in mind (Coach Glassman, don't get mad. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery), here is one I made up that I call "Crazy RSO."

I am the Regional Security Officer at a US Embassy (hence crazy RSO). I workout from time to time with the Marine Security Guard Detachment. However, I pick the workouts as the MSGs are all 1/2 my age.

This workout uses the hallways and stairwells of the building.

As many rounds as possible in 30 minutes of:

135# Deadlifts X 10
Pullups X 10
Run length of hallway, then up one flight of stairs (21 steps), run to other end stairwell
35# Kettlebell swings X 10
Run back down hallway, up stairs (21 steps), run to other end stairwell.
30# Dumbbell military press X 10
Run back down hallway, up stairs (21 steps), run to other end stairwell.
Pushups X 10
Now, instead of running back down the hallway, do directly down 3 flights of stairs to startiing area
Ring dips X 10

Today (08/18/2008), I made 4 rounds plus 10 Deadlifts and 5 PUs before time expired.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:43 PM   #2
Michael V. Perkins

Profile:
Re: My faux, "CrossFit-like" workouts

I should add that I am taking a "break" from hardcore CF'ing right now, trying to give my body a rest. Meanwhile, I am using a TRX Suspension Trainer and adding 2 CF WODs per week. So, I do day 1 and 2 on the TRX and day 3 I do a CF signature workout, or a WOD that I make up myself, like "Crazy RSO." Then, I take a rest day. So, I am still on the 3-day cycle, just not a traditional 3-day CF cycle.

I also do the CFWU, or a modified CFWU, before each workout.
Old 08-31-2008, 04:54 AM   #3
Michael V. Perkins

Profile:
Re: My faux, "CrossFit-like" workouts

Here is another Crossfit-like workout that I tried at the embassy today.

run 1/4 mi. on treadmill; 10 ring dips; run up flight of stairs (25 steps); 10 42# KB swings; run downstairs; 10 pullups; run up 2 flights of stairs (25 and 23 steps); 10 25# unilateral dumbbell military press, each arm; run back downstairs; 10 95# hang cleans; run up 3 flights of stairs (25, 23, 23 steps); 10 pushups; run back downstairs; 20 situps

I was going to try for 4 rounds, but I was pressed for time and only did 3 rounds, which I completed in 33:55 min. I'm glad I cut it short, as I was wiped out! However, I probably could have increased the weight a bit on the hang clean and done more pushups. The last round of pushups, I did 20, vice 10.

The next time I feel crazy enough to try this one, I'll try to get the Marines to join me. I will either increase the reps (to 15), the hang clean weight to 115 - 125#, and do more pushups; or, I will increase the rounds from 3 to 4. Heck, I might increase the reps, weight, pushups and rounds!

Last edited by Michael V. Perkins; 08-31-2008 at 04:59 AM..