CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-11-2008, 09:05 AM   #1
Corey Barker

Profile:
Question Chest Work

OK. I am considering starting Crossfit. It looks like an amazing workout and the vids show guys and gals that are totally ripped. My question revolves around chest work. I've seen some of the workouts include bench press and lots of pushups but the workouts for the last couple of weeks do not have much chest work at all.

I understand that this philosophy revolves more around functional strength and fitness so I am alright with not focusing on the aesthetics of "Chest Work". It just seems that the Crossfitters on the site have ripped chests.

Does this come from the Crossfit program or are they supplementing the workouts with some "Chest Work" every now and then?

PS. Love the site, love the workout and can't wait to get started.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:14 AM   #2
Gregory L. Johnson

Profile:
Re: Chest Work

Anytime a workout of the day prescribes push-ups, dips, muscle-ups, and burpees you are getting chest work. "Linda" is Deadlift, Bench and Clean.

Check out the "girls". Many require chest work.

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html#WOD0
Old 04-11-2008, 09:53 AM   #3
Tim Luby

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory L. Johnson View Post
Anytime a workout of the day prescribes push-ups, dips, muscle-ups, and burpees you are getting chest work. "Linda" is Deadlift, Bench and Clean.

Check out the "girls". Many require chest work.

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html#WOD0
The girls require chest work. Heh, heh. We talking augmentation here?
Old 04-11-2008, 09:56 AM   #4
Tim Luby

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Barker View Post
Does this come from the Crossfit program or are they supplementing the workouts with some "Chest Work" every now and then?
I don't know for sure but supplemental work can definitely be incorporated into your crossfit-based fitness regimen
Old 04-11-2008, 10:23 AM   #5
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Don't forget the Crossfit warmup too- with dips and pullups.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:57 AM   #6
Stephen Flamm

Profile:

Corey,

How your chest responds to CF will depend on how your chest is right now and how it got there. If you've built thick pecs through years of heavy bench work, you will probably notice two things during the first months of CF: one, you may lose a little size, and two, that's OK, because your massive bodybuilding chest was most likely useless for anything other than a posing routine heavy on side-double chests or most-musculars.

I think every other chest you may possess will respond favorably to CF, increasing in strength, power, functionality, and, at the very least, maintaining size (you may even add mass).

My own experience was that I have maintained everything I had in terms of chest muscularity, but I am stronger across the board in ALL pressing motions. And I wasn't weak to begin. Specifically, at 6', 185 lbs., I could bench my bodyweight 15, 10, 9, 9, and 7 times during my first "Lynne" workout, which requires max rep bodyweight benches alternated with max rep pull-ups. A month ago I got to 19, 13, 10, 9, and 9. Big improvement in just 6 months, doing only the main site WOD. My shoulder press, handstand push ups, push ups, dips, ring dips, and now muscle-ups have dramatically increased as well.

These are the things that I now care about, but I should add that I don't mind looking better. Even though my chest is about the same size it was to start, it looks better, simply b/c it has been balanced out by powerful looking shoulders, traps, arms, and abs. I just look more dense.

One more thing: we may not have had a lot of chest-intensive work over the past few weeks, but we will soon enough. And even if the WOD doesn't hit your chest, you should still be getting roughly 200 dips in every week simply in your warm-up.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:45 PM   #7
Corey Barker

Profile:

Thanks for all of the responses! The problem isn't that I have a big chest that I am trying to save. The problem is that I have never been able to develop much of a chest at all. So my thinking is that I need to focus on it to build it. Maybe I should just not worry with it and just plunge forward.

I am in decent shape. As a matter of fact, I just finished a work out that included 4 sets of 8 ring dips. You guys were right, my chest felt tired afterward.

Ideally, I need to drop another 10 pounds. I am 5' 8" (no short jokes please) and about 175 lbs. At 165, I would actually have the stomach I want.

I'm ready to go. Crossfit here I come! I see lots of pain and potential vomiting in my future. I can't wait.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:05 PM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

Do not cross post.

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=30240
Old 04-11-2008, 04:12 PM   #9
Justin Shipley

Profile:

there's LOTS of chest work in CF just no isolation chest work. same thing for abs.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:27 PM   #10
Kevin Perry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Barker View Post
Thanks for all of the responses! The problem isn't that I have a big chest that I am trying to save. The problem is that I have never been able to develop much of a chest at all. So my thinking is that I need to focus on it to build it. Maybe I should just not worry with it and just plunge forward.

I am in decent shape. As a matter of fact, I just finished a work out that included 4 sets of 8 ring dips. You guys were right, my chest felt tired afterward.

Ideally, I need to drop another 10 pounds. I am 5' 8" (no short jokes please) and about 175 lbs. At 165, I would actually have the stomach I want.

I'm ready to go. Crossfit here I come! I see lots of pain and potential vomiting in my future. I can't wait.
I find it funny how people who are 5'8'' think they are short...

im 5'5''.. you aint short. In fact, I think there are a number of short folks here heh