CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-21-2013, 01:44 AM   #1
Chris Brigham

Profile:
Muscle ups

so clearing the muscle up is my weakest event, i heard a fellow crossfitter say that it took months for him to get it... am i going to be frustrated for months? what key points are there to work on to nail this
Old 06-21-2013, 03:38 AM   #2
Mat Mudroch

Profile:
Re: Muscle ups

I would look at youtube videos, where is it good explained and you see moves as well.

But for me was the key to master pull ups, dips and learn transition.
Old 06-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
Patrick Scott

Profile:

Spend time watching vids but also spend time working the actual movement. Work on your goats, daily if possible. Work the progressions to start. Make sure you can pull to your chest, and make sure your dips are strong. From there, work the transition as that seems to be the most difficult part for people to grasp.

I've had a particularly rough time w/ MU's. I got my first about 9 months into crossfit, then was able to get up to 6 singles at a time, then completely lost them. I still don't have them back. I didn't practice enough I guess. It's really a skill that must be learned and honed, more so than brute strength.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Scott View Post
Spend time watching vids but also spend time working the actual movement. Work on your goats, daily if possible. Work the progressions to start. Make sure you can pull to your chest, and make sure your dips are strong. From there, work the transition as that seems to be the most difficult part for people to grasp.

I've had a particularly rough time w/ MU's. I got my first about 9 months into crossfit, then was able to get up to 6 singles at a time, then completely lost them. I still don't have them back. I didn't practice enough I guess. It's really a skill that must be learned and honed, more so than brute strength.
Exactly. The way I think of it is that bar muscleups you can feasibly do with brute force, ring muscleups are all about confidence. You have to be comfortable enough with the mechanics that you can focus on feeling the moment of almost-weighlessness and push your head and elbows through. It really doesn't come down to strength until the dip part.
Old 06-22-2013, 03:23 AM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

A bar MU isn't really a muscled skill if you kip. Basically the kick in front causes your body to rise (CoG &uprise) which makes your body weightless and you push down to support.

It's still pretty similar to the kipping MU which uses an uprise technique.