CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-11-2013, 05:33 AM   #1
Nicholas Metzger

Profile:
CrossFit Shoes

I have been CrossFitting for about 5 months now, and just like many of you, have fallen in love with not only the sport itself, but the changes it makes in my life, personal and professional. Anyhow, I am starting to get a bit tired of the "running shoes for conditioning/running wods, and vibrams for lifting wods" course I have been running, and am looking to get some shoes that are designed more so for the diverse CrossFit landscape.

I know that there are great shoes out there (Nano's, Innov8's, Merrells, etc) but was looking for some feedback on what might be peoples favorites. There are alot of small things about shoes that can make them great or not so great.

There must be a thread on here somewhere about this topic, but with new shoes being released throughout the years, looking for updated information. Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

Nick
Old 06-11-2013, 05:44 AM   #2
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: CrossFit Shoes

Scroll down and you will see 5 threads discussing shoes, pros and cons, and some will even have links to other threads on the subject.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:47 AM   #3
Jeff Enge

Profile:

I can't tell you about all of them, but I can tell you about what I personally wear. I don't have a big breadth of knowledge about different brands, but I really like what I have worn so far so I have had no reason to branch out.

I've got two pairs of Inov8s, the F-lite 230 and F-lite 195. 230s have a little more heel-to-toe differential (Inov8 says 6mm for 230s and 3mm for 195), and I prefer them for workouts. Either of them are the closest "regular" shoe to track/cross country shoes I have ever worn, which gives you an idea as to the feel of the shoes if you've ever worn track spikes. These shoes are versatile and I'm comfortable wear them for anything CF or life would throw at me - besides work where I have to wear metatarsals

I've also used two different models of weightlifting shoes, the 2012 Rogues and the 2013 Pendlays. They are both manufactured by Do-Win so the fit is similar, pretty much true to size. The Rogues have a wood heel, and as such are solid. They are also heavy. The Pendlays have a hard plastic heel so they are much lighter, but they manage to be just as solid as the Rogues. I wear these shoes anytime I squat or do Olympic lifting. They are not "musts" if you don't have the budget for specialty shoes, but they are highly recommended if you want to maximize your Olympic weightlifting skills.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:54 AM   #4
Nicholas Metzger

Profile:

Thank you for your input here guys.

Just checked out some shoes and I was looking at the Nano's mainly. The F-Lite's have been on my radar as well. Seems this may come down to price (there is a Reebok outlet on my next business trip that I called and they claim to have the Nano's there, so we will have to see)...

Anyone else's input is greatly appreciated, on any shoes that are great for CrossFit. I think we all know how important proper footing and grip can play into our workouts...
Old 06-11-2013, 07:59 AM   #5
Jeff Enge

Profile:

If price is the deciding factor, check out 6pm.com (wfs). Got both pairs of Inov8s for something like half off.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:27 AM   #6
Nicholas Metzger

Profile:

Awesome site man, thanks! If this outlet idea goes sour, I will have to go there. Thank you for the tip.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #7
Steve Agocs

Profile:

Overall I like my F-Lite 230's except the toe end of the shoe is unnecessarily pointy, so it can catch doing box jumps and during Turkish Get-Ups, etc. There is no way I could go a half size down in these, so they just don't work GREAT for my feet. When they die, or when I just get totally sick of them, I'll switch to Nano's, which seem like they'd work better with my foot shape.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #8
Mike Cho

Profile:

I was wearing New Balance Minimus for a good 1 1/2 yrs and they still are in pretty decent shape. The soles felt a little worn. I was thinking of waiting to get the new nano 3.0 but decided to go with an existing pair of pumas I had. These pumas are exactly like Chucks (converse chuck taylors). I know a lot of people wear chucks and love them and it's half the cost of other "crossfit" shoes.

I also have a pair of Reebok Oly shoes which I love because of the versatility (can do lifts and wods).
Old 06-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #9
Jason Denny

Profile:

Chucks for EVERYTHING but weightlifting (I wear Adidias Adipowers for that). I even wear them around town. I beat the snot out of my shoes and cannot fathom spending over a $100 every 6 months or so. Amazingly my $50 Chucks seem to outlast my friends Inov8's. Spent my shoe money on high end lifting shoes instead, they will last so much longer.

Last edited by Jason Denny; 06-11-2013 at 06:49 PM..
Old 06-12-2013, 05:53 AM   #10
Dan Kreeley

Profile:

I like my nano2s for everything except actually lifting weights. For that I wear my risto olimpicos. There's no inov8 reviews there but you might check out http://wlshoes.com (wfs) for some more input on the other models you're interested in.

Keep us updated on what you decide and how they work out.