CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-16-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
David Sailor

Profile:
GoRuck gear thoughts

I just finished the GoRuck Challenge in Manchester NH this weekend and decided to make a post about what I brought in case it might be helpful for anyone deciding to do one of these.

I read many blog posts on gear buildouts, clothing, food, etc and based what I brought and wore based on these posts, the local weather and common sense.

First of all, the weather was just about perfect. It started at 1:00 am Saturday, Sept 15. The coldest is got was in the mid 50's during the night, there was a light rain at sunrise and it warmed to about 70 and sunny by the time we wrapped up.

What I wore:
Inov8 F-lite 230's
Smartwool socks plus 2 extra in the bag in an OR drysack
Skins compression shorts
A pair of nylon blend Reebok shorts with pockets
A long sleeve UA compression shirt
A Reebok technical shirt
I also wore an old Garmin 305 GPS watch

In the GR1 backpack:
A light pair of work gloves from HD
A Petzl headlamp
The OR drybag with 2 extra pair of socks
A nylon windbreaker
Bodyglide, moleskin, Nuun hydration tabs.
6 bricks wrapped in cloth, then duct tape, then in a GoRuck brick bag
Source Hydration Bladder
A Loksak with my license and $20
4 Carabiners, 2 on the outside for handles, 2 inside helping to hold the brick bag in place.
Food: Gels, Probars, Shot Blocks (about 3,000 calories total)

In a lot of the blogs, people just simply brought way too much stuff. The pack was going to be heavy enough as it was and I saw no need to haul another several pounds of stuff that might or might not get used.

The clothing was spot on for me. The 230's were right, they were light enough yet still enough cushion against all the weight being carried and the running and they drained well. Wool socks are a must. I used the Bodyglide liberally before starting and was able to change socks during each of the two 5 minute breaks we had. My order of importance was to change socks and add more Bodyglide first, then eat if there was time, if not, just carry the food and eat along the way. The compression gear was good to wear and the nylon shorts/technical shirt were necessary as I was wet most of the time. No cotton! Some wore hats, I opted not, never felt a need for one. The headlamp was necessary for parts of the night events. I wore the Garmin just to see how far we ultimately went, not to keep track of time.

The GR1 bag was perfect. It's bulletproof and served the purpose well. The Source bladder is also very well made. It's 100oz and I added 6 Nuun tablets to start. I only had a chance to refill once and added another 6 tabs then. I never used the windbreaker but it only weighed a few ounces and it was nice knowing it was there if needed. Some people got cold early in the morning after the third time in the water so it can definitely be helpful. The gloves were good to have for the bear crawls on pavement and bricks, we did a lot of bear crawls. I only ate 3 Probars and 1 shot block. The food didn't take up much room and I had extra to hand out. I bought four 6' long straps that I used to secure the brick bag to the top inside of the pack. Both have Molle webbing and I just weaved them together. You definitely want the bricks packed well and secured high up. Having 6 bricks bumping against your low back for 10 hours is going to leave a mark. The OR bag kept my socks dry. The Loksak probably wasn't sealed properly by me and the money and license were wet but that's hardly a tragedy. I kept the gloves in my shorts pockets, I only wore them when bear crawling.

I debated on bringing a camera but there was a photographer that went along and made it unnecessary. Even if one didn't come, there would have been no way to take pictures along the way, I simply hardly ever had any hands free. After all is said and done, I can't think of anything that I should have brought but didn't. With the exception of the extra food and windbreaker, nothing extra was brought.

What I brought that I was most thankful for was the extra socks and Bodyglide, no blisters or sore spots at all.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
Quinn Walkley

Profile:
Re: GoRuck gear thoughts

Thank you for your write up. I am doing on in Feb and this will help out. Do you think you will do a write up of your experience?
Old 09-20-2012, 04:55 AM   #3
David Sailor

Profile:

Hi Quinn,
I hadn't really intended to write about the experience itself but will put some thoughts down in this thread to add to the overall experience I had.

First, I read quite a few blogs on people preparing and experiencing the GoRuck. I'm not linking any as most just aren't WFS. But the ones that had the most influence came from Mark Webb, he has a blog detailing it, ITS Tactical and 70's Big.

I have to say that being strong is very important for an event like this. The pack weighs 45 lbs: 6 bricks plus 3 liters of water, food, some extra clothing and the pack itself. Rarely are you just rucking with that. Add in a log, a chunk of concrete, an ammo can full of steel, another person, sometimes a couple of these at a time. At one point, I had my pack on, was carrying another person (who was wearing his packed ruck) in the fireman carry plus an ammo can. Get comfortable with pushups, a lot of pushups, with the pack on. I had been doing a lot of them prior and still struggled with the sheer volume of them. Then do them Inchworm style, with another person's legs on your shoulders.

Hydration and nutrition are very important leading up to the event. I'm usually low carb in the nature of 100g or so daily, but bumped up to 350 for two days prior as well as an even larger amount of water intake. I kept the Nuun tabs in my bladder and felt well prepared for the event.

This is just tough, no two ways about it. The Cadre's job is to wear you down to your breaking point, then past it. I've done 3 Tough Mudders on Mt Snow in Vermont and those were a walk in the park compared to this. You will be wet, you will crawl, crabwalk, carry heavy stuff all over the place. Each Cadre has a different idea of what good livin' is and applies their perspective to that which creates a unique event each time around.

I'm happy to talk more about this, just let me know what you have for questions.

David
Old 09-20-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
Evan Williams

Profile:

Good job! I debated wearing my 230s but opted for a beefier trail runner and I think it was the right choice for me.

I'm suprised they let you wear the watch. Our Cadre was strict about that one, no phones or watches. If you had them they were off and had to be buried in the bottom of your pack.
Old 09-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
Adam Kryskow

Profile:

Never heard of this before. I visited the website for the one in Manchester but there wasn't all that much information on what it actually entails... If you have time to go into more detail, cost, timing etc. that would be awesome!

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
David Sailor

Profile:

The 230's were as light as I was willing to go. I have 195's and wanted to wear them but I felt the little extra cushioning would be a blessing and it was. Besides, what's the point in shaving an ounce or two off the shoes by going with the 195's when I had a minimum of 45 lbs on my back at any time. Our Cadre was lenient on the watches, he didn't even touch on them. I'm betting if he saw anyone eyeballing their watch, it might have changed.

Adam, each Challenge is the same but different. What's same is: 6 bricks in your ruck, 15 miles or so of travel via shuffle, run, bear crawl and/or carrying something heavy, 8-10 hours long. Each Cadre (leader) seems to run it in his own way, some favor Indian runs, we didn't do any. The cost is $120 if you sign up early. You can buy their pack, they have them for 30% off if you buy when you sign up for the challenge, or just use your own. Preparation wise, get used to weight on your back, build up slowly, let the joints get used to it. You are going to wear that pack for 10 hours so it better be comfortable. Being stronger is lot better than being weaker for this. I think I actually ran too much for this, I found this to be the least difficult part of the challenge. But, I also have a 1/2 marathon in 2 weeks and the Worlds Toughest Mudder in November so I had other goals I was working in at the same time. The group you end up with can range from quite small, 4 were in the Saturday evening Manchester group, 14 in my group. I've seen some quite large, upwards of 30. Regardless, this is a team event, not an individual race. The sooner the group learns to work together, better, relatively speaking, life is. I will definitely do another of these. Manchester is up again next summer but I would like to go see the high lights of another city, Boston or NY would be fun.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:35 PM   #7
Quinn Walkley

Profile:

Thanks for the info. I have read a lot of the write ups already. Goruck has about 15-20;links on therinsite from people that wrote about them. I just like to read about different people's experiences.