CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 12-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
Matt Motley

Profile:
Matt's GSLP log w/ some CF skills

Welcome to my log everyone. I started crossfit about a year ago and did it for about 3 months. I loved every bit of it...except not being able to do the prescribed weights. I ended up pushing myself too hard (I'm good at that) and ended up getting an exertion headache. That ended my crossfit experience there. Fast forward to now, and I find myself really missing crossfit. However, I know not being strong enough is really going to bug me. So before I jump back into the box, I'm gonna aim to get my strength up first. Also, I'm gonna work on some CF skills with GSLP, such as double unders, muscle ups, hand stand push ups, etc...

So here is my training log. From time to time, I might record what I ate for the day. Btw, I'm 25, weighed 171lbs this morning, and standing barefoot I am 5'10".

12/17/12
Bench 135lbsX15
Curls(straight bar) 45lbsX15
Squat 135lbsX15
100 single unders... Working up to double unders and using a crappy PVC rope until the ultra fast wire One I ordered comes in...

I didn't know my 1RM for the lifts to start with, so I just kinda picked 135 as a baseline and will increase from there. Stopped myself at 15 reps...
Old 12-24-2012, 06:06 PM   #2
Matt Motley

Profile:
Re: Matt's GSLP log w/ some CF skills

Wednesday 12/19/12
Press 75lbsX15
Chin ups 0lbsX7
Power cleans 135lbsX3
Deadlift 185lbsX7
Single undersX100

Oh yea, reps posted are my 5+ sets btw.
Old 12-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
Michael A. Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Motley View Post
Welcome to my log everyone. I started crossfit about a year ago and did it for about 3 months. I loved every bit of it...except not being able to do the prescribed weights. I ended up pushing myself too hard (I'm good at that) and ended up getting an exertion headache. That ended my crossfit experience there. Fast forward to now, and I find myself really missing crossfit. However, I know not being strong enough is really going to bug me. So before I jump back into the box, I'm gonna aim to get my strength up first. Also, I'm gonna work on some CF skills with GSLP, such as double unders, muscle ups, hand stand push ups, etc...

So here is my training log. From time to time, I might record what I ate for the day. Btw, I'm 25, weighed 171lbs this morning, and standing barefoot I am 5'10".

12/17/12
Bench 135lbsX15
Curls(straight bar) 45lbsX15
Squat 135lbsX15
100 single unders... Working up to double unders and using a crappy PVC rope until the ultra fast wire One I ordered comes in...

I didn't know my 1RM for the lifts to start with, so I just kinda picked 135 as a baseline and will increase from there. Stopped myself at 15 reps...
First off, welcome back to Crossfit, Matt!!! I know how it is being away from the sport; I was actually off for a year.....
Secondly, why not scale the WODs to what you can do....? Nothing wrong with that. The point is to better yourself overall. I scale all the time, if I feel that the weight is too much. And, that is the beauty of Crossfit!!!
Anyway, good to have you on board and good luck in your return.

Michael
Old 12-24-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
Matt Motley

Profile:

Friday 12/21/12

Bench press 140lbsX12
Curls 50lbsX15
Squat 145lbsX12
Single unders X 100

Still using a straight bar for curls and PVC jump rope...I have a neck harness, but haven't used it yet... I think I'm just being lazy with it, so I might make it a requirement before I go to bed... I dunno
Old 12-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
Matt Motley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael A. Jones View Post
First off, welcome back to Crossfit, Matt!!! I know how it is being away from the sport; I was actually off for a year.....
Secondly, why not scale the WODs to what you can do....? Nothing wrong with that. The point is to better yourself overall. I scale all the time, if I feel that the weight is too much. And, that is the beauty of Crossfit!!!
Anyway, good to have you on board and good luck in your return.

Michael
Thanks Michael! I was scaling, but I'm the hard headed type that wasn't gonna be happy till I was doing what was RX'd. Also, I go to an MMA gym on Tuesdays and Thursday's, so the extra cost of CF, plus time, and work, I wouldnt be able to handle it. I'll make my comeback though!!!! I know people like to see goals, so I'll state them at this point. A 400lb deadlift, 300 lb squat, a 200lb bench, and 150 press would be nice... Obviously, whatever it takes to do the RX'd weights, but I figure those numbers should cover it.

Monday 12/24/12
Press 80lbsX12
Chins 2.5lbsX8 (switched to an underhand grip)
Squat 150lbsX9
150 single unders...New rope should be in soon

I bought an actual curl bar tonight too. Don't know if that will make a difference or not. Switched to an underhand grip because that's what the book calls for...

How about my food log for the day?
Breakfast - 1/2 of the pan of "kitchen sink hash" from paleomg.com (amazing stuff), with 12oz whole milk, a bacon egg and potato burrito(it was free)
Snack - a banana
lunch - 18 traditional wings from BWW + celery and carrots
snack - an apple and a handful of almonds (plus some free Christmas chocolate covered garbage...again it was free and looked freaking good)
Dinner - chopped sirloin wrapped in bacon? It came from the local meat market... Grilled it after the workout. Had it with a glass of red wine...a full glass
Old 12-26-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
Matt Motley

Profile:

Wednesday 12/26/12
Bench press 145 X 11
Curls 50 X 15
Power cleans 140 X 3
Deadlift 190 X 8
150 single unders

Curl bar came in today...really need to video myself squatting, deadlifting, and powercleaning for digital coaching. I'll get around to it though. Quick question. When deadlifting, before I pull the bar, should I be squeezing my shoulder blades together or relaxed? If nothing else, ill have a video up next week hopefully...
Old 12-28-2012, 10:16 PM   #7
Matt Motley

Profile:

12-28-12

Shoulder press 85 X 12
Chins 5lbs X 7
Squat 155 X 10
150 single unders

New jump rope came in today!!! It's awesome. 5 double unders in a row right off the bat... Still gotta practice though. BTW, uploaded videos of my squat for pointers.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:12 PM   #8
Matt Motley

Profile:

12-31-12
bench press 150 X 11
Curl 55 X 15
Squat 160 X 10
200 single unders

Squat form didn't feel right tonight for some reason. Wish I had someone watching me, but oh well. Jumping rope sucks in a garage, because its so cramped. Keeping my head up though. Numbers are still going up, so I'm happy. Interested to see when a reset will come. Should have deadlift video up Wednesday night...
Old 01-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #9
Matt Motley

Profile:

1-2-13
Press 90lbs X 11
Chin ups 7.5lbs X 7,,, 5lbs X 6
Power clean 145lbs X 3
Deadlift 195lbs X 8

Forgot got to jump rope tonight...gonna start hitting the neck harness neck week also after the work outs. Kinda curious why only neck extension work is performed, but no flexion... Especially since I've heard they are so important with neck posture. Uploaded my dead lift and power clean videos. Diet wasn't too bad today. Breakfast was 5 eggs scrambled With a protein shake with whole milk. Lunch was grilled chicken salad with ranch. Apple and banana for snacks with some pistachios and beef jerky. Dinner was a bacon burger from five guys, pwo shake, and some almonds.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #10
Matt Motley

Profile:

1-4-13

Skipped work out today. I do krav maga on Tuesday and Thursday... I learned what shoulder subluxation is all about... It hurts like help, so I decided it would be best not to stress them. As much as I hate to, I've learned an injury is not something to take lightly... So Monday I'll be back at it...and ill be including some rotator cuff exercises