CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-08-2004, 04:05 PM   #1
Mark Baldwin

Profile:
I need to reducy my oblique size but it seems no matter what I do or how light I get I still have "love handles". Help please!!!!

Mark
Old 12-08-2004, 04:26 PM   #2
Pat Janes

Profile:

I didn't start to see any real definition in my mid-section until I got my Nutrition right, Mark.

I've been CrossFitting for a little while now (about 5-6 months with some breaks in between), but I've really started to see results both visually and in performance after starting on the Zone about 4 weeks ago; I also started eating meat at the same time after 10 years as a vegetarian, so I'm sure that's also had an effect.

I've never been able to put much bulk on my bones; I've attempted to consume some of ridiculous amounts of food espoused by the bodybuilding fraternity etc and I can't do it; I don't like how it makes me feel. On the Zone, I have plenty of energy and rarely feel hungry or overly full.

At the moment I am still losing weight (almost exclusively fat by my primitive calculations); when my bodyfat percentages reduce to an amount I'm happy with, I'll be interested to see whether I am able to tweak the zone to begin adding lean mass.

This is my round-about way of saying that no matter how low your bodyfat is getting, your midsection (particularly with men) is usually the last place to lean out. The only way to get rid of it is by losing fat; if you're already doing CrossFit, it's all in your diet.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:54 AM   #3
Valentin Uzunov

Profile:  
Hi

Unfortunatelly there is no such thing as spot fat burning.. as in, you can't just train your abs and hope that,that will reduce the size of your midsection. Its a myth that still exsists out there but its false.
Your best way is indeed to take up an aerobic training regime, training at about 60-80% of your maximum heart rate (very primitive formula is MaxHR= 220 - age... and take 60-80% of that). If you are resonably fit you should aim to be doing at least 30min - 1hr of aerobic training 3-5 times a week. If you are new to the game and trianing make it 3 training session, for 30min to develop general cardiovascular fitness with days rest inbetween, a week, and start of with going for long slow runs.

The idea is that you want to train your metabolism to use aerobic energy (fat) as the primary source to sustain energy demands for long period of time, at a low intensity, allowing time for fat mobilisation and usage, and have to rely less on anaerobic (you know this is happening when that burning feeling in your legs gets less and less) You should be aiming at having a calorie defecit of about 3500-5000 Cal a week (don't get to hung up on the calories) but that will ensure that you will be losing weight at a safe rate.

I am not sure what your background is but if you have heart problems, or high cholesterol, or anything of that sort of cardio or pulmonary deseases in the family go get the green light from the doctor first.

But otherwise to sum it all up. Eat less than that burn up, with a deficit of about 500-700 Cal deficit a day. Its really really hard to do this, so that is what I mean by not getting to hung up on the calories.

Goodluck.. and keep at it, develop good eating and training habbits and results will come

Valentin Uzunov
Old 12-09-2004, 04:45 PM   #4
David Wood

Profile:

Before everyone jumps on . . . please remember to be polite.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:14 PM   #5
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
LOL David!

Valentin,

Why do you believe 30mins of cardio 3-5X a week is superior to doing the WOD?
Old 12-10-2004, 05:51 AM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
David, your like my mom. . .could you mind read! LOL
Old 12-10-2004, 07:03 AM   #7
Brian Gibson

Profile:
:lol: @ David, Paul, and Larry
Old 12-10-2004, 10:33 AM   #8
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hi Valentin,

Welcome to Crossfit!

If you haven't already read them, you may want to check out:
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/what-foundtn.html
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/what-fitness.html

Also you may want to try out the Workout of the Day (posted on the main page) and the Zone diet for a month. IMO, it's the best cup-emptying (and sometimes gut-emptying) experience around.

Hope this helps and, if you take the plunge, let us know how things go.

Ryan
Old 12-10-2004, 10:51 AM   #9
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Nice behavior from the board!
Good catch Dave and Ryan!!
Valentin, you may want to check out this thread for a sampling of the Crossfit philosophy in its politically correct, and not so correct, form.
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/3499/5500.html
Otherwise, welcome aboard and enjoy the lack of "cardio!"
Old 12-10-2004, 03:16 PM   #10
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
I started to reply to this before anyone else. . .then just decided to move on.

The moderators are reading our minds!