CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-03-2007, 10:38 AM   #1
Max Seid

Profile:
Lower Back Rehab

I've been doing crossfit for nearly a year now and have exceeded many expectations that I ever thought I would have for myself. Unfortunately right now I am in a little bit of a slump. I hurt my lower back over the summer and I think that it was primarily do to being fairly inactive during the day then jumping right into the intensity of a WOD. At school I am moving around constanstly all day riding my bike to and from school and inbetween classes. I have been in physical therapy at the Boulder Sports Medicine facility here in Colorado and have felt that it has been fairly uneffective. It was 45 minutes of abdominal excercises twice a week. I feel that I get plenty working out on my own. I am now doing chiropractic work and pilates as prescribed by my chiropractor. My pelvis is slightly out of alignment and I have a leg length discrepency (left leg being shorter).
I don't want to give up CrossFit but when I mention to my physicians and therapists what we do, they tell me that I am nuts. Has anyone had a similar situation that they can relate to and came back from? Or if anyone is knowledgeable about the spine and lower back injuries, any thoughts would help.

Thanks,
Max
Old 10-03-2007, 11:12 AM   #2
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Re: Lower Back Rehab

Do you have a diagnosis? Is it a bulging disc or something? If you don't know, I would suggest finding out with a CAT scan or MRI. Then you will know for certain and can better work around it and rehab it.

My opinion is to ditch the PT, chiro, etc. unless it is genuinely working for you. Most of these types are so ignorant of what the body needs that they cause more harm than good without intending to. Also, don't let them tell you what you can and can't do.

Are you in constant pain, do certain movements aggravate it? Can you squat in perfect form with no pain? The CrossFit warmup is a great rehab tool.

CrossFit has saved many backs, there are testimonials on this forum. People can also hurt themselves with bad form, so always focus on form for your back. With the info you provided so far, I don't see why you would not be able to excel at CF, after you recover your injury.

Hope this helps!
Old 10-03-2007, 12:17 PM   #3
Max Seid

Profile:

As I said, I have been diagnosed with a leg length discrepency (my left leg being shorter than my right). I have a narrowing disc between my L4 and L5 vertebrates. I left physical therpay because nothing was being done directly for my back. I understand that strong abs will keep your back in better form, but there were no excercises done specifically for the back. I do the crossfit warm up everyday before I workout which definitly involves all sorts of core strength. What tends to aggregat my back is doing deadlifts. I havent done them in a while because I was told to lay off the deadlifts and kettlebell swings. I weigh 170 and was pulling about 365 at my peak. I'm nowhere close to that right now but would really like get back there. Do you think doing things such a lighter deadlifts are going to be good for rehabing the back?
Old 03-16-2010, 07:34 AM   #4
Sean Murray

Profile:

Old thread I know but if someone else browses this then the CF journal video on reverse hypers helping back conditions is something to investigate. Posterior chain strengthening stuff in general. GHD extensions/glute ham raises!
Old 03-24-2010, 07:59 PM   #5
Brian Diez

Profile:

Max,

I feel your pain, buddy. I got excited when I read your opening post and thought the answer would be found down below.

I am in exactly the same situation, but I'm seeing a chiro and a masseuse. My chiro is actually a crossfitter. Other than GHD sit-ups she loves everything about crossfit. She did mention that 90% of the crossfitters she trains with have injuries. That's not good.

It leads me to believe we're really not educated enough in proper warm up techniques. I think our injuries could be avoided with more knowledge.

I love crossfit. I get depressed at the idea of not being able to train. The pain is so bad I can't lift a heavy grocery bad without wincing. I can barely air squat. Its been 10 days and its not improving, despite ice and treatment.

If you solve the riddle, please let me know. I'd even settle for some workouts that don't hurt my back just so I can keep at it.