CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-10-2006, 06:42 PM   #1
Jason Donaldson

Profile:
My wife had surgery about 6 months ago that involved a large incision across the lower abdomen. She is now using CrossFit to get in shape but has experienced some pain in the lower ab area, RHS, when doing anything involving the abs (so basically everything!). My totally unqualified opinion is that she has strained the muscle and needs some rest, ice and anti-inflamms for a week or so and then get back into it slowly and easily. Am I on the right track?
Old 11-11-2006, 10:16 AM   #2
William Hunter

Profile:
She may benefit from some self-administered scar massage and see if she comes across any painful fibrotic areas, which can be worked a bit to soften them up. A popular place to suffer soft tissue injury is between the scar tissue/healthy muscle interface.

Otherwise I'd say you're right on track, especially the part about getting back to it slowly and easily.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:45 AM   #3
Skip Chase

Profile:
Please, define/explain her surgical procedure.

www.mtbakercrossfit.blogspot.com
Old 11-12-2006, 05:03 PM   #4
Jason Donaldson

Profile:
Skip
Wasn't going to go into it, but, basically had her ovaries taken out at 28 yrs of age. Were taken out due to endometriosis but biopsies also revealed ovarian cancer!! Got it right at the earliest possible stage, so no lingering problems fortunately. Her main issue now is not being able to crank out sit-ups :msn-wink:
Old 11-13-2006, 07:12 AM   #5
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
Part of the Problem is much of the tissue that was cut through heals very slowly and is very prone to poor scarring and adhesions. I agree with william that some scar massage would probably be helpful and taking it easy. It is a common complaint for people, and women in paticular that have had C-section or other abdominal surgery to complain of pain in the surgical area even years after surgery. With her being so young she will heal pretty easily, especially with using the muscle.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:22 AM   #6
Jason Carriveau

Profile:
massage is contraindicated over the stomach due to structures/organs that are present. Some light abdominal exercises. Was it a C-section because there might be some info in a medical journal. Good Luck.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:47 AM   #7
William Hunter

Profile:
jason, scar massage is probably different from what you're thinking. I wasn't referring to anything too deep. You can pull the tissue away from the body and roll it between your fingers quite easily, or just use some skin dragging techniques in a criss-cross fashion over the affected area. Lots of ways to skin this cat.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:26 AM   #8
Skip Chase

Profile:
Jason,
I have had 2 lower abdominal surgeries. In 1997, I was injured while riding a bull. I ruptured my inguinal ligament. The physician termed it, a 'violent' rupture. The inguinal ligament attaches to the pubic tubercle on the anterior pelvis. The force of the rupture pulled bone with the ligament.

The solution was to reattach it.

As I healed, I trained, and pain was my guide. To me, an injury is a weakness, which I am unable to tolerate. Therefor, I 'attack' an injury with the goal of creating a strength.

I experienced a lot of pain and a lot of negative self talk. At times, my self talk was to put off the training till tomorrow, but I always pushed harder because if I put it off, it would be worse.

By taking a weakness and turning it into a strength, 4 years later I broke my 1st world record for sit-ups.

I just experienced my 2nd lower abdominal surgical procedure 2 weeks ago. 2 months ago I herniated through the scar tissue that was created following the 1st surgery. I was not happy!!!

The doctor, who is a friend, said, "No sit-ups for 3 months." I laughed and said, "You are crazy!!!"

I am taking it easy, but I will treat this injury like any other. I do not want to be weak. I must turn it into a strength, again.

Order an AbMat and have your wife begin performing all the exercises that are on the instructional video. Start slow, but have her count reps of max sets.

Record the reps and each time, she should add at least one rep to her first max set.

She will improve and increase strength and confidence.

www.mtbakercrossfit.blogspot.com

WE DO NOT STOP PLAYING BECAUSE WE GROW OLD,
WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE STOP PLAYING.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:51 PM   #9
Jason Donaldson

Profile:
Thanx all.

Skip: just ordered an ab mat. Might take a while on delivery to Oz, but in the meantime I'll get her started. When she initially did the injury, she couldn't do much without sharp pain in the area. Am I correct in saying your philosphy in that case is to continue to test the area, with various movements, using the pain as a guide?
Old 11-22-2006, 05:26 PM   #10
Skip Chase

Profile:
You say, "When she initially did the injury, she couldn't do much without sharp pain in the area."

You begin your original post with, "My wife had surgery 6 months ago......."

Therefor, I am assuming the sharp pain was prior to surgery. (?) Does she still experience sharp pain?

If she had surgery 6 mos ago, I would assume any PT would have ended months ago and unless they accidentally left a pair of scissors in her, the pain should have improved. Yes? No?

www.mtbakercrosffit.blogspot.com

We do not stop playing because we grow old,
We grow old because we stop playing.