CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 03-30-2007, 11:11 AM   #1
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Starting a new workout journal here, as my old one was listed in the "Workout of the Day" section. Guess it's been a while...

The Plan:

2 "standard" CF metcons per week, I don't bother timing them, I find it counter-productive to my musculoskeletal health (more injuries are incurred for the sake of "points").

2 ME-style workouts per week mostly involving gymnastic holds for the upper body, and squats/deads/OL for the lower body.

2 easy days, one involving full lower-body Z-Health training (I-Phase and R-Phase) and Super Joints drills, one involving upper body Z-Health and Super Joints drills, also including balance and proprioceptive training on those days.

1 weekend day where hilly fixed-gear bike riding sandwiches a walk/hill-run with the dog and the family (the dog gets there via my wife and her car). This can be split into 2 separate days, or on some weekends the bike will be dropped and all walking will be done if more recovery is needed. The mobility days and the weekend days can be combined if desired.

So, on to today's workout. I call it the "Messy 25", because it's definitely not the "Filthy 50".

Warmup (this is a pretty standard warmup for me right now, I will be subbing in more gymnastics-type exercises as I go along, I really want to build the strength for the gymnastics exercises):

Z-Health: Normal speed, m/l tilts, toe pulls, ball-of-foot, hip circles, pelvic circles, lumbar circles, thoracic circles.

3' jump rope (goal is to work up to Renegade 3' pattern)
15 wall squats (a la Pavel's ETK book)
45" wall HS
8 pullups on AF bar
15 reverse hypers no weight
15 GHD situps
15 OHS with PVC
7 pullups on AF bar
45" wall HS
15 back extensions (rounded back)
15" Samson stretch

"Messy 25"
25 hip-height hurdle jumps
25 ring jumping pullups
25 35# KB swings
26 walking lunge steps
25 knees-to-elbows
25 45# push press
25 hip extensions
25 35# KB bottoms-up thrusters
25 burpees
25 double unders (all done as singles, learning the timing and speed at this point).

I felt much less "wasted" after that workout than the last time I did a 50'+ "Filthy 50". I'm very happy I cut down the volume. That's all for now.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:21 PM   #2
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Yesterday:

2.5 mile hilly walk
Z-Health: normal speed, 3 reps, spine & upper extremities
5 pro-to-sup ring pullups, 5 sup-to-pro pullups
5 collapsing pushups, 5 rotating pushups
5 shoulder dislocates
5 reps of 15# CB exercises: swings to head, swings to overhead, armpit cast, drumming, front/back and inside/outside circles, inside/outside pendulums, shield cast, inside/outside parry, mills, swipes

Today:
Significantly sore in the feet/legs from the "Messy 25", decided to make today more recovery while still building up to the training loads I wish to be at.

2.5 mile hilly walk

Thursday (4 days from now) is the FF CPAT test, don't want to be too tired! Already passed it in a practice session (with a cold), still want to be ready and injury-free.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:15 AM   #3
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Basic Z-Health drills (ankles, knees, pelvis, lumbar, thoracic) normal speed, 3 reps

Warmup:
3' jump rope
5 hanging leg lifts (AF bar)
5 press-to-HEADstand
1' 90 degree wall sit
2 x 40" HS against wall
8, 7 pullups on AF bar

Workout:
7 supersets of
155# hang power clean x 1
1 eccentric front lever
1 eccentric back lever
~1-2 minutes rest between supersets

Cooldown:
5 pumps (a la Pavel's ETK book)
Old 04-05-2007, 01:43 PM   #4
Rick Ihrie

Profile:
Garrett -
I am 50, with really poor mobility in my shoulders. Also (per an MRI), a L. shoulder anterior sub scap tear w/ a sub luxing bicep tendon. That last part hurts like heck when it shifts out of the groove!
I have been trying to manage w/out getting under the knife. Can you please offer any good methods to increase my mobility and flexibility? On the basic samson stretch, I cannot get my arms tight to my ears, and my elbows don't want to straighten out. It's pretty pathetic! I have been working on OHS with PVC and a 10# plate, trying to stay in the frontal plane, but my shoulders really tip forward. My front and back squats are both over 200#, but I can't correctly OHS even the 45# bar without forward cantelever of my arms/shoulders. I recognize there's no silver bullet to this, but any practical advice you may have would be welcomed. Thanks!
Old 04-06-2007, 07:39 AM   #5
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Rick,

May I suggest to you and others, to please make your own thread under "Injuries" for stuff like this. I'm glad to help, I'd just like to keep this part as my workout journal only.

I have many suggestions.

Getting the area treated with Low Intensity ("cold") Laser Therapy would be a good idea. Go to www.Meditech-BioFlex.com w/f safe to find a practitioner with the laser(s) I use. Realize that the while the laser may help heal the soft tissue damage, it will not cure any mobility/biomechanical issues that caused this in the first place. For that stuff, keep reading.

Getting a private session with the guy I consider a mentor and the world's expert in prescribed joint mobility exercises, Eric Cobb DC. He is the creator of the Z-Health System www.zhealth.net w/f safe.

Search this board (mainly the Injuries section) for "shoulder" and various other key terms (flexibility, mobility, rehab, pain, etc.). Many great suggestions have been made before.

Eric Cressey and Mike Robertson have written several good articles for the lay person over at T-Nation (articles are w/f safe, comments by readers and pics on the side may or may not be):

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1053531
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1055409
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1153915
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1426252
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=818555

That should give you a good start. Absolutely start doing some of the tests/assessments mentioned in the links above to see where you're at, and absolutely DO NOT rehab or work out INTO PAIN--that will reverse your progress. If you have any further concerns, make sure to start a new thread or PM me.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:35 PM   #6
Garrett Smith

Profile:
4-day update:

Tuesday:
No workout.

Wednesday:
Z-Health Neural Warmup Level 2, 2 reps, normal speed
Burgener warmup with PVC and 45# bar

7 sets of:
70kg C&J x 1 rep
1 ring muscle-up (6 times, the final time I did a Skin-the-cat, for 7 rounds total on the rings)

Rubbed the inside of my wrists (especially the R) pretty good with the MUs.

Thursday:
Basic Z-Health moves

Took the CPAT (w/f safe, http://www.tucsonaz.gov/fire/Training/TFD_Career/Training_Overview/Recruitment_i nformation_and_da/cpat_infor.html), the firefighter's physical test. Finished with 2'21" left over, improved from 1'38" the last time--the best thing was that my finishing HR was only 127!

Friday:
Modified 1/2 WOD
Z-Health R-Phase, 2 reps, normal speed
PVC Burgener warmup
Warmup: 6 Headstand-to-press, 5 L-pullups, 15 OHS, 6 SLRs, 45" handstand.

3 rounds of--6 ring dips, 6 L-pullups, 15 back extensions, 2' jump rope

Good workout, especially after yesterday's CPAT, and considering I don't want to be wasted for the Tucson group get-together tomorrow!
Old 04-07-2007, 05:07 PM   #7
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Finally, the Tucson CF park get-together. Everyone picked an exercise (pseudo-hopper) and I suggested alternates and put them in order.

Warmup:
I taught the group KB swings (5-15 reps each person)
15 x pushups, OHS, KTEs, pullups
Samson stretch

The Chipper for today (was shooting for a ~15-20' workout):

15 dips
15 one-legged squats L,R (we had elevated platforms of different heights for these)
15 53# American swings
30 total walking lunges
15 pullups
15 squats
15 knees-to-elbows
1 trip across the horizontal monkey bars, then over the vertical monkey bars, then turn around and come back over both
1/2 mile run/walk

I'm pretty sure it came out around 14'. Lots of fun.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:55 PM   #8
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Feeling sore today. Went for the 2.5 mile roundtrip walk with my parents--I ran the uphills, waited for them, and walked everything else. The last hill is a sprint.

Maybe next week I'll ride my fixed-gear to their house and do the walk/run.

This coming week is going to be an "easy" week, with the workouts mainly consisting of Z-Health and other mobility training, along with some gymnastics practice and stretching. I need a downshift, also I'm going to donate blood on either Monday or Tuesday (now that the CPAT is completed).

Oh yeah, I'm having Tony Torres, one of the SPEAR instructors, over to my house for a 2-hour seminar session this afternoon. My wife, my brother, Yael, and I will be present. Sounds like fun!
Old 04-09-2007, 12:28 PM   #9
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Rest.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:59 AM   #10
Garrett Smith

Profile:
I can't remember if I mentioned it earlier this week, however, I donated blood on Monday and decided to make this an active rest week (which means super slow Z-Health drills), since I had such good results on the CPAT.

Tuesday:

Z-Health R-Phase and I-Phase drills for feet/ankles/knees, super slow speed, 1 rep

2 rounds of FlowFit

Wednesday:

No workout, had to go in to work at 7am.

Thursday:

Z-Health R-Phase and I-Phase drills for hips/pelvis, super slow speed, 1 rep

10' Indo board (Renegade protocol)
5' Balance ball on haunches and knees (Renegade protocol)
5' trampoline
50" handstand