CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
Shane Jeffery

Profile:
Supplements & Crossift -- What Are You Taking?

What have you taken and had success/failure with?

As crossfitters, we definitely work out in a way that is different and more taxing than what people do at traditional gyms, so we have to be careful with supplementation as our hearts/bodies are already pushed hard.

Right now, my supplement stack looks like this:

Pre -- Previous Version of Musclepharm Assault (NCAA approved) (1/2 scoop to 3/4 scoop depending on how much energy I need).
Intra-workout -- BSN AminoFX (2 scoops in 24 ounces of water)
Post-workout and Mid-afternoon snack -- BSN True Mass (total of 6 scoops a day -- 1400 calories)

Outside of this, I am eating three solid meals a day and trying for 2500-3000 calories a day.

Taking this all into consideration and the fact that I am 190 lbs and 6'0'' tall. I do Crossfit at my local box 4-5 times a week.

Ideally, I am after putting on a bit more mass, but more focused on having the proper energy to PR on lifts (got a 3-rep PR on Front Squats last night of 260lbs!) and continue going Rx on our daily WODs.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
Spencer Pearlman

Profile:
Re: Supplements & Crossift -- What Are You Taking?

I'm just keeping it relatively simple --

Met-rx Protein Isolate - don't know if it's a mental thing, but I have seen really nice gains using this, compared to other proteins. Love it.
BSN Syntha 6 - Only use this when my protein intake for the day is lower than it should be
Universal Nutrition Real Gains - Only use this when calories are lower (only take half a serving, though -- much rather get my calories from actual food...this is more of a semi-last resort)
Optimum Nutrition Creatine
Beta Alanine + Arganine - Only take this when I feel I need a kickstart before a run or workout
Opti-Men Multivitamin
Optimum Nutrition Fish Oil

Looking to get stronger + improve running times - not trying to put on (much) weight, at the moment. I'm basically taking it week by week. So far, I've seen nice gains at maintenance, so I think I'll stick with it for now.

*I've used Assault pre-Crossfit. One word - wow. Best pre workout I've ever had.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

I take l-glutamine on an empty stomach to induce HGH production, together with some VitC.
And ZMA before bedtime.

I dont see much reason in taking anything else if having a proper diet. Creatine would be good to take but only if taking CF to a pro level, it really does not add so much as peple think.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
Brian Sadowski

Profile:

Pre workout one scoop of at large nutrition BCAA and one scoop MHP Fit Trainer X

Post workout Scoop and and a half at large nitrean black vanilla mixed with a scoop of gaspari nutrition glyco fuse orange mango

my breakfast is usually supplemented with a protein shake in the morning because I don't hae time to make much else. throughout the day I take fish oil and a multi vitamin with beta alanine and a scoop of creatine mixed in somewhere. sometimes before bed I will take progenex cocoon but not every night.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #5
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
I take l-glutamine on an empty stomach to induce HGH production, together with some VitC.
And ZMA before bedtime.

I dont see much reason in taking anything else if having a proper diet. Creatine would be good to take but only if taking CF to a pro level, it really does not add so much as peple think.
I think you might want to rethink that, considering its one of the only supplements that has an extensive research history of positive benefits.

Its kind of ironic you say that considering ZMA was popularized by BALCO as a smokescreen for their PED projects without much scientific backing.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #6
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Yea, I know, I said it works.

But on a highly trained athlete it will only add a few %. As for others, why would they need it if they can get to the same level without it (it will just take longer) and once you stop taking it, the gains are gone.

Maybe Chris can throw in some actual numbers, but as far as I remember its just a few %.

I take ZMA because of its sleep benefits and aids in recovery, not for strenght gains like said in "that study".

For strenght gains, I believe the barbell is still the best method, ever.

Last edited by Dare Vodusek : 12-10-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:40 PM   #7
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Postworkout shake - TrueNutrition whey protein and creatine, dextrose powder, whole milk.

During workout - BCAAs + Gatorade powder to help absorb BCAAs.

Supplements - fish oil, magnesium, Vitamin D (dont get enough sun in the winter).
Old 12-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
Spencer Pearlman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Postworkout shake - TrueNutrition whey protein and creatine, dextrose powder, whole milk.

During workout - BCAAs + Gatorade powder to help absorb BCAAs.

Supplements - fish oil, magnesium, Vitamin D (dont get enough sun in the winter).

How is TrueNutrition? I almost made a protein + bought it a few weeks back.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #9
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
Yea, I know, I said it works.

But on a highly trained athlete it will only add a few %. As for others, why would they need it if they can get to the same level without it (it will just take longer) and once you stop taking it, the gains are gone.

Maybe Chris can throw in some actual numbers, but as far as I remember its just a few %.

I take ZMA because of its sleep benefits and aids in recovery, not for strenght gains like said in "that study".

For strenght gains, I believe the barbell is still the best method, ever.
No. Just no.

That's like saying "why lift weights, because once you stop lifting the gains are gone."
Old 12-10-2013, 07:37 PM   #10
Chris Mason

Profile:

The right supplements can most certainly make a difference, and frankly, you don't need to stop taking them (it is your choice). The way I look at it is you spend a lot of time, money, and hard work making your body the best it can be, why not support that training as optimally as possible? I DON'T believe in wasting massive amounts of money on supplements and I fully acknowledge that things like protein supplements are simply convenient food replacements. I'm a big advocate of stick with the basics of what works and use supplements as sparingly and intelligently as possible.

What I take (mostly my own products):

Pre-Workout
Creatine 500
RESULTS
Nitrean+ BLACK Series
Fish Oil
BCAA+ or CONJUGATE/TRICORE