CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-06-2006, 08:52 PM   #1
Andy Deas

Profile:
For those of us lucky enough to have already received our rings (yeah for me :lol:) I was wondering what modifications folks may have made to customize the grip. I love the fact that I can now move the buckles out of the way and that the rings no longer spin, but I still would like a better gripping surface. The instructions suggest using sandpaper to give the rings more texture. I was curious if anyone had tried it or anything else to try to improve the gripping?

Overall I am very happy with my purchase - its so much nicer to only have to add a few extra pounds to my gym bag when transporting my rings - the old rings added a ton of weight to my carry-on while traveling for work!
Old 04-07-2006, 06:21 AM   #2
James Oconnor

Profile:
I just ordered the new batch of power rings, not the elite ones, just to have them sooner.

I don't get how the newer ones would reduce the spinning of the rings. I haven't received mine yet, but was wondering if I should have waited and gotten the elite rings.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:39 AM   #3
Andy Deas

Profile:
In my opinion the main differences between the old and new rings are as follows:

buckle location - on the elite rings you can adjust where the buckles are relative to the rings vs. the power rings where they are a static distance from the rings. There are some exercises on the power rings where the buckles may get in your way and be a minor annoyance.

ring spinning - the webbing on the elite rings is threaded through the actual rings while it goes around the Power Rings allowing the ring to spin within the webbing. For most exercises this isn't a problem, but I prefer the feeling of the rings not being able to spin - the feeling is more consistent with sets of rings you would see at gymnastics facilities

ring weight - drastic reduction in weight from the power rings to the elite rings. Probably not a big deal for most, but if you travel a lot then lighter is better in my opinion

ring thickness - the power rings have a thickness that is close to that of dumbbell handles while the elite rings are the classic ring thickness.

Overall, I don't think you can wrong with either style. I have both and will continue to use both of them. I do like the thickness of the Power Rings - I think it is more comfortable to grip them
Old 04-07-2006, 01:22 PM   #4
James Oconnor

Profile:
Thanks a lot Andy, that gives me a good idea.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:59 AM   #5
Tim Weaver

Profile:
What about the possibility of power rings with the buckle-adjustment capability? Is a mod that can be done at home?
Old 04-08-2006, 12:37 PM   #6
Andy Deas

Profile:
I can't think of a way that could be done - the buckle/strap system is similar on both sets of the rings, but the webbing is threaded through the actual ring on the elite rings which enables you to slide the webbing through and move the buckles.

You can see a good picture of the threading on Tyler's website:

http://www.ringtraining.com/pages/updates.htm

Old 04-09-2006, 09:24 AM   #7
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
For help with the straps and buckles on the old-style rings,

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/17998.html
Old 04-09-2006, 11:38 AM   #8
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
You can do an easy modification to the ring straps by simply cutting them off the rings and then re-sewing one end back onto the buckle, sending the running end through the attachment point and then back through the ring and then the buckle. Once you struggle with getting the strap through that feisty little buckle and adjust it properly, you can just pull the buckle out of the way. I had mine sewn at a place called the Tactical Tailor (see the thread above) and they work with that kind of nylon webbing all the time. You shouldn't try using mom's sewing machine.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:25 PM   #9
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Eugene,
I'm actually sending the Power Rings out unsewn now. This way, people can slide them out of the way, like Elite Rings. However, there is nothing to prevent them from sliding sideways. To prevent this, you can wrap athletic tape around the ring and strap to secure it in place. This is how they do it in gymnastics gyms. However, you lose the ability to slide the buckle vertically. But if you like the buckle to be fixed at a certain location, it will not be a problem. Some people didn't mind that it was fixed, but felt the buckle was too close to the ring. I preferred it close to the ring because I could set the rings up higher without needing to have a step ladder with me.

Tyler
Old 04-12-2006, 02:43 PM   #10
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Tyler with the un-sewn power rings if you wrap two rungs of athletic tape around the ring itself it will keep the webbing from sliding side to side without having to tape the webbing to the ring. You would wrap some tape around the ring on one side of the strap and some more on the other side of the strap.

You really don't have to use that much tape as the tape itself will keep the webbing from sliding. Oh and better than athletic tape is Hockey stick tape as the webbing will actually get stuck to it and wont want to budge at all. Hockey stick tape is considerably better to wrap the rings with, over any other grip modification. Its adhesive and quite abrasive. (Sort of like me!) It really helps when teaching the false grip to new trainees as the tape actually helps theirs hands stick to the rings as opposed to their wrist slipping off continually.