CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-21-2014, 10:40 AM   #21
Ryan Pye

Profile:
Re: ********?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
No one has a problem with a company selling products for a profit, the issue with MLM is that it is a pyramid scheme that takes advantage of people. Just a slimy type of business.
I understand this arguement (which is why I don't sell it) but all big business is a pyramid scheme. Just isn't called such, I suppose, because they aren't sneaky about it. That's why I don't see the issue AS LONG as your client understands it is what it is.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #22
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Pye View Post
I understand this arguement (which is why I don't sell it) but all big business is a pyramid scheme. Just isn't called such, I suppose, because they aren't sneaky about it. That's why I don't see the issue AS LONG as your client understands it is what it is.
A retailer/wholesaler arrangement is nothing like an MLM scheme, and just because Target or GNC or Nike has centralized headquarters then distributors/sales reps/retailers spread out across the world does not mean that "all big business is a pyramid scheme."
Old 03-21-2014, 10:58 AM   #23
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Not at all. Have you ever looked into MLM and how it works?
Old 03-21-2014, 11:00 AM   #24
Ryan Pye

Profile:

I guess I disagree. Or perhaps I misundstand the term in question. My point is that early adopters/high ranking officials in any business make money because of what people "lower than them" do/sell. I understand this happens in a contrived way with the supplement company the topic is about and in more organic ways if you are Phil Knight or Bill Bowerman.

I was simply playing "devil's advocate". I don't like the idea (or more importantly) the products of the company. So I'll withdraw and let you guys argue with the folks who actually make money from the company.

PS- I think At Large makes quality stuff at a great price point. So there is my plug.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:05 AM   #25
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
I guess I disagree. Or perhaps I misundstand the term in question. My point is that early adopters/high ranking officials in any business make money because of what people "lower than them" do/sell. I understand this happens in a contrived way with the supplement company the topic is about and in more organic ways if you are Phil Knight or Bill Bowerman.

I was simply playing "devil's advocate". I don't like the idea (or more importantly) the products of the company. So I'll withdraw and let you guys argue with the folks who actually make money from the company.

PS- I think At Large makes quality stuff at a great price point. So there is my plug.
The part in bold doesn't make something a pyramid scheme--it's called "capitalism."

Read this (WFS) if you didn't when I posted it before.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:13 AM   #26
Ryan Pye

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
The part in bold doesn't make something a pyramid scheme--it's called "capitalism."

Read this (WFS) if you didn't when I posted it before.
Read it. I agree if they aren't demonstrating profits of product sales than the company isn't really a supplement company at all. This would suck for people low on the ladder but the retail customer doesn't seem hurt (other than paying a premium for a non premium product) by this. But the article illuminated some interesting points. It seems like the equivalent of cheap overseas labor (where the lower "business" people are screwed).
Old 03-21-2014, 11:26 AM   #27
Brandon Soukup

Profile:

I have said my 2 cents and now I will just agree to disagree and we can all just keep crossfitting!
Old 03-21-2014, 11:38 AM   #28
Robert Diggs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
If he doesn't get paid for an endorsement then he is doing it wrong. Also, I would never give the time of day to any MLM company, even if their products are decent it is a sketchy business model and there are plenty of respectful companies out there.
tell us more about how you dont buy products from any other company that engages in ****ty and exploitive practices
Old 03-21-2014, 11:43 AM   #29
Zach Summers

Profile:

Hasn't Spark been shown as an ineffective product? I thought I read a couple different places that it was essentially sugar water with a dose of caffeine.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:46 PM   #30
Jo Hsu

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Summers View Post
Hasn't Spark been shown as an ineffective product? I thought I read a couple different places that it was essentially sugar water with a dose of caffeine.
Advo-cates have recently appeared at my gym as well. They're lovely people and dedicated athletes, but I can't wrap my mind around their passionate devotion to these products. I looked at the ingredients list to Spark (I should note that the company is also very secretive about their ingredients)... but it loos like primarily caffeine and sugar.