CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-19-2014, 09:43 AM   #111
Kristian Skarsfeldt

Profile:
Re: What protein powder do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Regan View Post
Protein doesnt work like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
I often wonder the same thing. Protein is just a foodstuff, the only difference is in the quality of the stuff, just like different qualities between "real food" sources like meat. The difference in "feeling of recovery" between protein powders should be minimal given the relatively low percentage of actual nutrition they should be compared to the complete diet.
That's is what I'm thinking.

Its protein supplement - the avarage "athelete" that goes to the gym 4-5 times a week will never be able to see or feel a difference from the expensive athlete sponsored $69/2lb vs. the $80/5-10lb bulk bag (only see a difference in their bank account!) I call placebo

I just die a little inside every time I see a soccer-mom buy two bags of expensive protein.

I still swear to my bulk buys. Protein, Leucine, Betanine and creatine.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:30 AM   #112
John Schroeder jr

Profile:

Using something I'm promoting in violation of Board rules. Awesome custom products. great prices.

Made a custom that is half the price and twice as good as something that rhymes with genix. Pm me and I can get you the formula ratios!

Use my code for SPAM!
Old 02-19-2014, 12:43 PM   #113
Daniel Pierce

Profile:
Red face Re: What protein powder do you use?

Not all milk based proteins have the same "profile" per se and therefore do not have same impact on athletic recovery or performance. The same goes for most commercial protein products on the market. Many companies employ the Kjedahl method for measuring protein nitrogen for label claims. To reduce production costs they infuse with cheap amino acids to increase the nitrogen score of the Kjedahl method.

The other type of "cost saving" method for manufacturers is stripping off bioactive peptides which serve a functional purpose in athletes and sell them off in various food products for different consumer segments (infants, medical foods, supplements). Proteins derived from milk contain contain ACEi tripeptides which can regulate blood pressure, pro-immune glycomacropeptides, lactoferrins, immunoglobulins, etc, etc, etc. These all have physiological relevance to an athlete concerned with performance and recovery. These peptides can be sold as pricier peptide components separately.

For these reasons, you should understand how your protein is processed and produced. Is it being stripped of bioactive peptides? Is it being infused with physiologically irrelevant non-essential amino acids? If you can't answer these two questions then I highly recommend you take a second look at the "other ingredients" listed on the fact panel or give their info line a call to find out. Typically the companies not doing this are certified organic and verify the presence of these bioactive peptides.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:53 PM   #114
Jason Kelley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
just like different qualities between "real food" sources like meat.
And this is always my point. If you aren't going to worry about making a choice between a chicken or a steak or a fish on a daily basis then why worry too much about the protein supplement. Obviously there are some logical caveats but you see my point.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:24 PM   #115
Kevin Keast

Profile:

I used to use True Protein.

The last bulk order I made was for a new blend, and when I got it it had huge white chunks of something in it that didn't dissolve. I was told that nothing was wrong. It came from a new supplier, and that you had to mix it twice. When that didn't work, the company took forever to get back to me and eventually offered to take 25lbs back, but at my shipping and duty costs. Being 25lbs and cross-border, that is about 75% of the overall cost. I decided to keep it, choke the lumpy crap back and not order from them again.

This thread is a good resource for where I can go from here to get my powder. I'm down to 6lbs left of the nasty stuff.

Last edited by Kevin Keast : 02-19-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:29 PM   #116
Zach Summers

Profile:

On the point of actual vs. filler -- https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...any=true#gid=0 (SFW)

Spreadsheet that compares the actually protein in a powder vs. the claimed amount. Very interesting information at the least.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:53 PM   #117
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Summers View Post
On the point of actual vs. filler -- https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...any=true#gid=0 (SFW)

Spreadsheet that compares the actually protein in a powder vs. the claimed amount. Very interesting information at the least.
That is interesting, eh? Note that ON, a brand I recommend if not my own, fared very well.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:59 PM   #118
Steve Agocs

Profile:

I've used CFM Whey Isolate (chocolate is best) from Protein Factory for years and it's about as pure as it gets.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:30 AM   #119
Shawn Lipman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian Skarsfeldt View Post
That's is what I'm thinking.

Its protein supplement - the avarage "athelete" that goes to the gym 4-5 times a week will never be able to see or feel a difference from the expensive athlete sponsored $69/2lb vs. the $80/5-10lb bulk bag (only see a difference in their bank account!) I call placebo

I just die a little inside every time I see a soccer-mom buy two bags of expensive protein.

I still swear to my bulk buys. Protein, Leucine, Betanine and creatine.
Kristian, do you use Betaine, not Beta Alanine? If so, what form and where do you buy it from? I try not to over-do the supplements but have been thinking about trying Betaine Anhydrous. However, I do not see it much in pure bulk form. It is in a number of overpriced per-workout products that are primarily other things that I do not want. Thanks in advance for any response.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:52 PM   #120
Kristian Skarsfeldt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Lipman View Post
Kristian, do you use Betaine, not Beta Alanine? If so, what form and where do you buy it from? I try not to over-do the supplements but have been thinking about trying Betaine Anhydrous. However, I do not see it much in pure bulk form. It is in a number of overpriced per-workout products that are primarily other things that I do not want. Thanks in advance for any response.
Hi Shawn.

Betaine. I mix it up with my bcaa and drink it during my workouts. I got mine of smartpowdersdotcom